Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-22-2024, 01:33 PM   #1
Dan Montilion

44 Years Ago Today (2/22/80)

USA olympic hockey defeated USSR at Lake Placid.

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2024, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

That was awesome and I rarely watch hockey, so damn sad what a good chunk of this country has become. My progressive liberal ex girlfriend of many years actually asked me why I was always rooting for athletes from the USA in international competitions. Many years ago she actually made a negative reference to all the USA flags that are flown in the countryside I live in.
So pulling for your fellow country men or women and flying our country's flag is a bad thing?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2024, 12:43 PM   #3
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
That was awesome and I rarely watch hockey, so damn sad what a good chunk of this country has become. My progressive liberal ex girlfriend of many years actually asked me why I was always rooting for athletes from the USA in international competitions. Many years ago she actually made a negative reference to all the USA flags that are flown in the countryside I live in.
So pulling for your fellow country men or women and flying our country's flag is a bad thing?
Wouldn't that be a clue to dump her as fast as you can? That was the greatest sporting event I ever saw!
Old 02-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Wouldn't that be a clue to dump her as fast as you can? That was the greatest sporting event I ever saw!

She is an ex now, she did not date back to that hockey game. What is amazing is a lot of people don't remember the USA still had to win one more game.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:08 PM   #5
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Montilion View Post
I am reminded daily since I purchased a shot of the winning goal from Sports Illustrated that hangs over my desk. Eruzione to score

Russians NEVER should have taken their world class goalie out (Trediak spelling?)

Last edited by 46zilzal; 02-23-2024 at 02:10 PM.
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Did any of those guys go on to have decent NHL careers?
Old 02-23-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Did any of those guys go on to have decent NHL careers?
Yes ONE of them joined a pro team that won the Stanley Cup that next year.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/1980-u...603bc7cb2a4f48
Old 02-23-2024, 06:57 PM   #8
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Montilion View Post
"Do you believe in miracles!?" ~ Al Michaels

The crazy thing is that they still had to defeat Norway (or was it Finland) to win the gold medal. They did that handily.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:07 PM   #9
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
"Do you believe in miracles!?" ~ Al Michaels

The crazy thing is that they still had to defeat Norway (or was it Finland) to win the gold medal. They did that handily.
They had to come from behind like most of their games on Sunday morning against Finland to win the gold.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:12 AM   #10
mountainman

Good movie, too. With Kurt Russell.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2024, 05:20 AM   #11
ElKabong

Going by memory the US had to tie Sweden early on for that soviet game to be meaningful . Slapshot from the blue line iirc.

I saw that 80 Olympic team play in ft worth vs the CHL ft worth team. Shocked they could beat Sweden and Finland both, let alone the soviets.

In regards to vlad Tretiak (goaltender) he was unbelievably good vs team Canada in 72 in that incredible 8 game series early on. Was on the back end of his career by 1980 but still a top 5 in the world. Oddly enough I had as much joy in team Canada coming back to win that series as I did in 80 for USA. Paul henderson of all people was the hero. Paul henderson. Wow.

And Valeri kharlamov in 72 was the best player I ever saw with the exception of pre injury bobby Orr. Clarke's cheap shot two handed ankle breaker on him was gutless . Never liked him after that. Chicken shit move

In Sept of 72 the lengths our Jr coaches went to to get games 7, 8 on live radio in ft worth was epic (to a 16yo anyway). About 40 of us listened outside will rogers coliseum. The telecast was delayed, we got to hear it live. It was raucous. Like a texas ou game attended by only 40 or so. Crazy times
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2024, 05:44 AM   #12
ElKabong

Eta, they tied Sweden, not beat them . Again, going off memory a last minute or 2 goal from the blue line. Baker (blond kid) I think but I'm probably wrong.

Sweden was very good then. Very good
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply