Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 04-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #46
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
All my pace figures are mine or BRIS'. I have way too many figs of my own for speed, class, pace, timeform, jockey and trainer. So much so that I have totally confused myself as to which ones to use and when.
So...., your own personal opinion is worthless against the "numbers"?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #47
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
I'm going to assume your question was made from good intent. Personal opinions may not be worthless. There are number crunchers, form readers who build a picture in their mind of today's race(a.k.a. personal opinions), and there are some that do both. I wouldn't say any of them are worthless.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #48
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
There shouldn't be information "overload" because if you have that problem, you are just collecting data and not analyzing it.

Using someone else's processed data is very risky; especially if you don't know and understand their assumptions.
Good advice.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #49
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Personal opinions are good. They are even better when viewed as starkly as the numbers. Unfortunately, those who form personal opinions about "probable pace of today's race" tend to only remember the races in which their opinions were (at least roughly) correct, while totally ignoring the (many, many more) races in which their opinion was wrong.

The advantage of using one's own (computer-assisted) pace analysis is consistency. To achieve that consistency means tracking the failures (of pre-race pace analysis) as well as the successes.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #50
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
Personal opinions are good. They are even better when viewed as starkly as the numbers. Unfortunately, those who form personal opinions about "probable pace of today's race" tend to only remember the races in which their opinions were (at least roughly) correct, while totally ignoring the (many, many more) races in which their opinion was wrong.

The advantage of using one's own (computer-assisted) pace analysis is consistency. To achieve that consistency means tracking the failures (of pre-race pace analysis) as well as the successes.
All that really matters is if the times you are right provide more winnings than the times you are wrong cost in losses.

So for example, if three times I say a horse has a clear early pace advantage and is worth a bet, but two don't even make the lead and lose badly but one wins at 8-1, I'm more than happy with my opinions.

Last edited by cj; 04-27-2016 at 11:22 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #51
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
All that really matters is if the times you are right provide more winnings than the times you are wrong cost in losses.

So for example, if three times I say a horse has a clear early pace advantage and is worth a bet, but two don't even make the lead and lose badly but one wins at 8-1, I'm more than happy with my opinions.
Exactly, I bet a lot of horses 15-30 to win and in exacta's and other exotic bets. I don't have to be right that often. If you find lone speed horses at big odds who you think can get the distance,you will hit enough of them to make a profit. On the other hand,if you can find a horse who closed against pace advantage horses and are in a race which you perceive as favoring closers you will get even better prices than you would with a speed horse because of bettors preferring to bet the speed.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #52
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

That is pretty much the same thing I said. "Personal opinions are good. They are even better when viewed as starkly as the numbers."

Personal opinions are bad when the successes are celebrated, and the failures forgotten. That can be costly.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #53
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Like when we all rented a house. You paid for your's and Elsie's entire weekend with the one bet I saw you make--all weekend.

Going off at 31-1, he won for fun.

Don't take too many of these, Traynor. What else ya got?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #54
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
That is pretty much the same thing I said. "Personal opinions are good. They are even better when viewed as starkly as the numbers."

Personal opinions are bad when the successes are celebrated, and the failures forgotten. That can be costly.
You've elaborated a bit. This is good!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #55
Capper Al

Re-watched Dave's 'Understanding Early Speed' and enjoyed it again. Got my focus now, I just had to think about this for a while. Soon I'll have my death star going. It will be like the one in Star Wars at first, not 100% operational. But it should be better than the quick pick system I've been using while doing the re-write.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 04-27-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #56
classhandicapper

Pace is kind of like everything else in handicapping. The more extreme the situation the more likely you are to be correct, but the more likely the public will see it also and adjust the odds.

I think the proper application is somewhat dependent on your style.

If you are trying to assign an approximate odds line you are shooting for situations with greater accuracy and certainty as to what is going to happen. Then you can allow the odds to dictate your betting decisions.

If you trying to find angles and situations that are overlooked, you may be less concerned with accuracy in all cases as long as some of the more marginal, hidden, and uncertain ones light up the board often enough to offset your greater errors.

In my personal gambling I've used both approaches and still don't have much of an opinion as to which works better. I guess my thinking is kind of an intuitive blend of both. I often start with an angle I think may be somewhat hidden or misunderstood and then if the board screams at me I let the moths out.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #57
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Pace is kind of like everything else in handicapping. The more extreme the situation the more likely you are to be correct, but the more likely the public will see it also and adjust the odds.

I think the proper application is somewhat dependent on your style.

If you are trying to assign an approximate odds line you are shooting for situations with greater accuracy and certainty as to what is going to happen. Then you can allow the odds to dictate your betting decisions.

If you trying to find angles and situations that are overlooked, you may be less concerned with accuracy in all cases as long as some of the more marginal, hidden, and uncertain ones light up the board often enough to offset your greater errors.

In my personal gambling I've used both approaches and still don't have much of an opinion as to which works better. I guess my thinking is kind of an intuitive blend of both. I often start with an angle I think may be somewhat hidden or misunderstood and then if the board screams at me I let the moths out.
Which way is most fun? Then specialize in it!

Anatole France