Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.54 average.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #8731
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Trigger warning. The mental image of what Trump said could make you throw up in your mouth.

Yeah, Trump's handlers are really doing a great job of keeping him on script.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-pennsylvania/
he gives 1 hour speeches at his rallies, packed with content.
Yes some it is improvised, that's who he is. Focusing on one line as an "OMG!" moment is something the Washington Post would do.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #8732
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
he gives 1 hour speeches at his rallies, packed with content.
Yes some it is improvised, that's who he is. Focusing on one line as an "OMG!" moment is something the Washington Post would do.
He plays to the crowd. If they seem to be getting a little bit bored, he says something to get them riled up. He's saying what they want to hear. People love B.S., they eat it up . Some go to the rallies just to whoop it up,especially the younger ones. You can see that they're just goofing, they don't give two sh_ts !
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #8733
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Trump will be a great president, from the mold of the founding fathers.
Straight talking, no nonsense, fearless, successful private citizen, compelled to enter politics because of love of country. He's exactly what we need at this time. He spends his own money plus millions in small donations from supporters. His corrupt opponent is funded by foreign governments, hedge funds and big banks, and people like George Soros who despise our country. She's also notorious for selling access to government to the highest bidder.
I wanted to stand up and put my hand over my heart while I read that one.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #8734
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
I wanted to stand up and put my hand over my heart while I read that one.
I kinda got choked up, too.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #8735
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Someone has to explain to me someday why anyone would care in the least who the editorial board of a newspaper thinks ought to win.

Newspapers have an influence in the way people view topics.

Look how many on here only refer to bias sources and never consider whether it's true or makes sense. The editorial boards direct the editorial staffs and in effect the journalists reporting.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #8736
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike

Look how many on here only refer to bias sources and never consider whether it's true or makes sense. The editorial boards direct the editorial staffs and in effect the journalists reporting.
but the number of people that read newspapers is far less than what it was just ten years ago. I don't think there is much stock in what the hell newspapers do. Everybody knows most are just liberal rags now days anyway.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #8737
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike

Well, that's kind of my point. Anymore particularly, just about every source of journalism is viewed in partisan terms. Most of the time these endorsements are akin to Boxcar endorsing Jesus. Even if you are so vacuous that your decision to vote for someone is going to be influenced by an editorial board, you've probably already been sufficiently influenced in that direction just by virtue of opening the damn paper on a daily basis. Shit is meaningless nonsense but gets reported (and memes created) like it matters. If you had the NYTimes endorsing Trump or the WSJ endorsing Jill Stein, I can see it being something of a story. But since that rarely happens, I'm about as interested in newspaper endorsements as I am in the straw that broke Brangelina's back.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #8738
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
but the number of people that read newspapers is far less than what it was just ten years ago. I don't think there is much stock in what the hell newspapers do. Everybody knows most are just liberal rags now days anyway.
Are they or you just feel that way because you don't agree with them?
Old 10-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #8739
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Well, that's kind of my point. Anymore particularly, just about every source of journalism is viewed in partisan terms. Most of the time these endorsements are akin to Boxcar endorsing Jesus. Even if you are so vacuous that your decision to vote for someone is going to be influenced by an editorial board, you've probably already been sufficiently influenced in that direction just by virtue of opening the damn paper on a daily basis. Shit is meaningless nonsense but gets reported (and memes created) like it matters. If you had the NYTimes endorsing Trump or the WSJ endorsing Jill Stein, I can see it being something of a story. But since that rarely happens, I'm about as interested in newspaper endorsements as I am in the straw that broke Brangelina's back.
Never rely on one source. And, make up your own mind!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #8740
_______
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think a liberal editorial board endorsing a liberal candidate is news or influences voting. I don't think a conservative editorial board endorsing a conservative candidate is news or influences voting.

I'm unsure what impact multiple conservative editorial boards endorsing Clinton has. I'm very curious where the WSJ lands. It's the whale of conservative journalism.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #8741
barn32
tmrpots

I haven't watched Saturday Night Live in years,
but when I read about this debate sketch I decided
to take a look. It made me laugh. I give it 7 or 7.5
stars out of 10.

Alec Baldwin is pretty good as Trump

[YT="Trump Clinton Debate"]-nQGBZQrtT0[/YT]
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #8742
johnhannibalsmith

I watched that earlier and thought it was surprisingly good. I really thought the lady did great with a whole lot less to work with. She had the voice and speech mannerisms and goofy facial and arm gestures surprisingly good for someone that has to be near impossible to mock like that compared to Trump. As surprisingly good as he is, she had the way tougher assignment.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #8743
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
I watched that earlier and thought it was surprisingly good. I really thought the lady did great with a whole lot less to work with. She had the voice and speech mannerisms and goofy facial and arm gestures surprisingly good for someone that has to be near impossible to mock like that compared to Trump. As surprisingly good as he is, she had the way tougher assignment.

Was Baldwin playing Trump or was he playing himself?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #8744
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
Was Baldwin playing Trump or was he playing himself?
Yeah I couldn't imagine enduring seven minutes of him when I clicked on it, but then I realized he just had to get the speech mannerisms right and he'd probably be a natural being the over-the-top jerk caricature.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #8745
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
I forget the woman's name but she's been playing HC on SNL for a while now as part of their cast of characters which do impersonations. I think this was Baldwin's first impersonation which was very good.

Thanks barn32, I keep forgetting about watching SNL. It's been years since it was a regular viewing show for me.