Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #1
mountainman

Irate Trainer

Got accosted in grandstand last night by a 3 percent trainer who badly bungles the management of his horses. The guy objected to my observing that he does himself no favors at the entry box. Things stopped just short of getting ugly.

Were all of his entrants no-hope longshots, that observation might be unnecessary-even gratuitous, but when they get bet, I'm remiss if I don't call him out.

In my job, the hostility often engendered by frank commentary can weigh on you. But not as heavily as it once did. Over the years , I've made some peace with the trade-off.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Got accosted in grandstand last night by a 3 percent trainer who badly bungles the management of his horses. The guy objected to my observing that he does himself no favors at the entry box. Things stopped just short of getting ugly.

Were all of his entrants no-hope longshots, that observation might be unnecessary-even gratuitous, but when they get bet, I'm remiss if I don't call him out.

In my job, the hostility often engendered by frank commentary can weigh on you. But not as heavily as it once did. Over the years , I've made some peace with the trade-off.
Trainer can be a 3 or 20% ....it doesn't matter as long as they get their monthly fees..
I recently went off on our groups owner saying you and the trainer has no clue on handling horses...they keep putting the horses in wrong classes ....
You gotta realize that when you have a 15k claimer , putting them in 30k or alw isn't going to do it...
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
You gotta realize that when you have a 15k claimer , putting them in 30k or alw isn't going to do it...
I've had that issue with partners where they can't be objective about the horse's talent or where they are so attached and afraid the horse will get claimed, they wind up in too many bad spots wasting races. You can't afford to waste races, especially with cheap horses.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
His sins are more subtle than that. Turf obsession with runners that hate the stuff..repeated route assignments for late-sprinters sorely lacking two-turn stamina..etc..

The thing with lots of trainers is they view their license as a master's degree in horseracing. It isn't. Honestly, having read past-performances since I was 10 and, as a racing official, checked well upwards of a million entries for wgt and eligibility, I know a lot more about thoroughbred placement than my antagonist does. But there are lots of things horsemen guard as their exclusive purview despite others having considerable expertise about.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:14 AM   #5
woodbinepmi

Had the same thing happen to me once after doing the paddock show at Sam Houston, called out a trainer for entering a horse who should have stayed in his stall on the backside.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #6
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Had the same thing happen to me once after doing the paddock show at Sam Houston, called out a trainer for entering a horse who should have stayed in his stall on the backside.
Unpleasant part of the territory, my brother.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:40 PM   #7
the little guy

Quote:
Unpleasant part of the territory, my brother.
Then why are you starting a thread about it?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 01:07 PM   #8
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Horse racing site and I find the thread interesting. I love hearing stories from racing insiders.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 01:10 PM   #9
mountainman

Quote:
Gambit declined. I once told you, never again, Andy. And I meant it. Be well.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-14-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I find it interesting how "frank commentary" from one racing insider is met with virtually little criticism from the fan base, while frank commentary from another insider (Andy) is often met with cries that Andy is a mean person.

Does anyone else wonder about that as much as I do? Probably not...lol
Old 11-14-2023, 01:14 PM   #11
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:

Why won't you give out this person's name? Since you felt the need to demean his numbers by starting a thread.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 01:15 PM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
So that you could troll, Andy.
I don't troll you Mark. It's too easy and frankly kind of sad.

You made a self-aggrandizing thread where you pretend to be a hero for picking on a 3% trainer. Congratulations, you figured out that he's clueless. That's not heroic. That's lousy and mean.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 01:18 PM   #13
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Horse racing site and I find the thread interesting. I love hearing stories from racing insiders.
For better or worse. I am an insider. Tx, Jimmy. I'll continue to peel back the curtain from time to time.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post

Ditto
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 01:26 PM   #15
mountainman

Quote:
I don't troll you Mark. It's too easy and frankly kind of sad.

You made a self-aggrandizing thread where you pretend to be a hero for picking on a 3% trainer. Congratulations, you figured out that he's clueless. That's not heroic. That's lousy and mean.
Not when he remains nameless on here. And not when he came at me nasty in front of my autistic son, who, by the way, was visibly confused and disturbed.

Lousy? Mean? I'm not going there, Andy.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-14-2023 at 01:27 PM.