Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Was Larry Collmus' Call of the Belmont "One for the Ages"?
Yes, without a doubt 20 48.78%
No. Then tell us who think would've done a better job, especially at the last 1/8 mile of the race. 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. This poll is closed

Old 06-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
infrontby1

Was Larry Collmus' Call of the Belmont "One for the Ages"?

If no, tell us which announcer you think would've done a better job, especially for the last eighth of the mile of the race.
infrontby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Grits

This is unnecessary. There is already a thread here about Larry's call, plus his call was noted in various other Belmont threads. And, your notion of "who would've done better" is insulting.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=123465
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
This is unnecessary. There is already a thread here about Larry's call, plus his call was noted in various other Belmont threads. And, your notion of "who would've done better" is insulting.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=123465
Normally i would say that a public figure is open to be "talked about" on horse racing message boards, but in this case i dont agree with the criticism on this announcer and this specific call. To me, the call was good enough where there doesnt need to be any debate about it. Was it the best all time call? Probably not, but it was certainly closer to the top than to the bottom.

Criticizing this call and asking who could have done better ls like being critical of an nba player who scored 45 in a game and asking "could he have scored 50" and then asking "who would have scored more"
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
thespaah

Collmus did an excellent job. he held his excitement in check. He didn't just call a race. He was telling a story. He went through the field but kept the call relative to the position of AP. AP and a potential TC win was the story.
All around, Larry Collmus did a professional job.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
thaskalos

It was not a "call for the ages", IMO...it was a competent, professional race call. The Pharoah's performance was such that no further excitement needed to be supplied by the race caller.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

It's official. We're going to milk this Triple Crown for every bit of discussion.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
It's official. We're going to milk this Triple Crown for every bit of discussion.
I agree!! I think it was overdone right after the race was won!! We have a Triple Crown winner! It was a great race, great call. This comparing it to every other aspect of every other Triple Crown race diminishes the joy of it. Enough already! Just enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
dogkatcher

It makes no difference to me if it was or wasn't. Everyone always wanting more instead of taking in what Happened.
dogkatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #9
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Not a call for the ages , but a very good call, race for the ages , the industry needed this one

Z
Old 06-13-2015, 03:25 AM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf
Not a call for the ages , but a very good call, race for the ages , the industry needed this one

Z
Yes, they (the industry) needed it because Karl 'the truth' Broberg winning 60 pct of his races simply isn't enough!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Yes, they (the industry) needed it because Karl 'the truth' Broberg winning 60 pct of his races simply isn't enough!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #12
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I'm not one to complain about race callers and think Larry does a great job, but the pronunciation on the winner of the 9th today was painful to hear. Perhaps I'm a bit of a Latin snob but he butchered Praetereo, which means "I excel" or "I pass by" which makes it quite a good name. "Pray-terio". Ugh. What was worse it reminded me of Dance Fever host Deney Terrio. Ouch. Double wince. I tweeted him the proper pronunciation for next time. Hope he got that....

Last edited by OTM Al; 06-13-2015 at 10:23 PM.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #13
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
I'm not one to complain about race callers and think Larry does a great job, but the pronunciation on the winner of the 9th today was painful to hear. Perhaps I'm a bit of a Latin snob but he butchered Praetereo, which means "I excel" or "I pass by" which makes it quite a good name. "Pray-terio". Ugh. What was worse it reminded me of Dance Fever host Deney Terrio. Ouch. Double wince. I tweeted him the proper pronunciation for next time. Hope he got that....
There is NOTHING an announcer hates more than help with a name after the fact. Of course one can't spend all their time anticipating which ones might cause a slip up.

If in fact your way is correct, rest assured Larry will research it fully with a myopic intent to always get names correct.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
There is NOTHING an announcer hates more than help with a name after the fact. Of course one can't spend all their time anticipating which ones might cause a slip up.

If in fact your way is correct, rest assured Larry will research it fully with a myopic intent to always get names correct.
By all means we should never offer any help to the guy. How the hell is he supposed to know how to pronounce a difficult name if someone doesn't help him? I'd hazard to say there is nothing a bad announcer hates more than help. A good one, one would think, would take any help he could get to do an exact and professional job. Guess that's why Larry has an announcing job....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #15
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
OTM ALEREO, could you let us little people in on the correct pronunciation? Thanks
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply