Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Yet Quip was apparently "pointed to this race" for quite a while?

I give GM credit for being ABLE to duel Justify like that, but not sure it was a good strategy to "make into a match race" but then again, what other choice did they have? Unless your horse has a killer closing kick, if you let a horse like Justify get too far ahead you don't catch up......

I guess I have no real opinion either way
I think it would have been a better strategy to let Justify clear and then engage him on the outside. I would rather be on the outside in a match race scenario.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #17
GMB@BP

I thought it was a good ride by smith, if he goes off an clear Ortiz guns and he gets caught late, it was a perfect amount of going quick but not pushing it too much given GM tactic's
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #18
lured

Only choice they had and I agree with it. Let Justify get ahead and relax you hand him the race. He's already proved he can win easily without anyone pressuring him. What Justify hadn't proven until today is that he can win with someone pressuring him for at least 3/4s of the race. The fact that it seemed that Justify and Good Magic outclassed the rest of the field, a match race was the only chance to win without someone else going after Justify early.
lured is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #19
lured

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
no, it's not. this nonsense cost them over 100k. not to mention potentially on the breeding front.
Breeding? Because he was forced into a match race and finished 4th instead of 2nd you think he lost in the breeding barn? He's a 2 year old champion that finished 2nd in the derby to a horse that's on the verge as going down as one of the greats and was forced to change his strategy due to the field in the Preakness and finished 4th. He lost nothing. People know the fluke was the Preakness, not the Derby nor the BC Juvis.
lured is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
Spalding No!

Quote:
Yet Quip was apparently "pointed to this race" for quite a while?
Wouldn't be shocked to see Quip go on the shelf for a while after this.

He wasn't pointed to the Preakness so much as held out of the Kentucky Derby because he came out of the Arkansas Derby poorly. The fact that he had absolutely no speed (perhaps by design) and yet stopped abruptly at the 3/8s pole is a bad sign for any immediate future endeavors.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #21
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Thought Lukas/Contreras/Sporting Chance would be the one showing the most early speed. Have to wonder if Brown's instructions to Ortiz were to send if that one didn't make the front
Yes I said all week sporting chance would gun. Didn’t happen. On the other hand, I’m so impressed with Bravazo
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #22
Rex Phinney

Haven’t seen a crybaby post like this one in a while.

Sorry you didn’t cash your place bet, but the strategy was a good one. No one else in this race had the talent to test Justify like that. Laying back does nothing but give Justify an easy lead.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #23
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Haven’t seen a crybaby post like this one in a while.

Sorry you didn’t cash your place bet, but the strategy was a good one. No one else in this race had the talent to test Justify like that. Laying back does nothing but give Justify an easy lead.
Exactly, definitely not trying to take anything away from American pharaoh, he was a great horse, but he had it all his own way in the Preakness and Belmont. And this crop is way stronger. Truthfully I was rooting against justify, but atleast he hasn’t to battle
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #24
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee View Post
I love their tactics - it’s competition - trying to win the race.
Show me one presser who has never been on the lead who hooked a quality, pure speed horse and went on to win the race. Doesn't happen, at least not that I have ever seen. They usually wind up finishing out of the money. If someone would have told me Good Magic was going to the lead I would have played the race differently. I still may have lost if Good Magic presses from a length off down the back stretch, but I could accept it. Here is what I bet.

100 SF 7-5-6-8
100 SF 7-5-8-6
40 SF 7-6-5-8

20 Super High Five 7-5-(6,8)-2
10 Super High Five 7-6-5-8-2

20 SF 5-7-6-8
20 SF 5-7-8-6

10 Super High Five 5-7-(6,8) (6,8)-2

I didn't like the 1,3,4 at all. It isn't the amount I lost that bothers me, I can live with that, it is the way the race unfolded. Oh well, life goes on.

I would have made possibly over 15,000 if the 5 runs second.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #25
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lured View Post
Breeding? Because he was forced into a match race and finished 4th instead of 2nd you think he lost in the breeding barn? He's a 2 year old champion that finished 2nd in the derby to a horse that's on the verge as going down as one of the greats and was forced to change his strategy due to the field in the Preakness and finished 4th. He lost nothing. People know the fluke was the Preakness, not the Derby nor the BC Juvis.
Yes. If he never beats Justify in his racing career, he will be second fiddle as far as stud fees are concerned. Take a few 10k times 150 a year and see if 100k is worth the risk.

Edit. Also, Justify as one of the greats? He is not even in American Pharoahs ballpark as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by PaceMasterT; 05-19-2018 at 08:34 PM.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #26
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
If someone would have told me Good Magic was going to the lead I would have played the race differently.
Didn't Brown say before the race he saw it as a "match race", to me that meant they were gonna take it to Justify, exactly as it unfolded.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #27
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT View Post
Edit. Also, Justify as one of the greats? He is not even in American Pharoahs ballpark as far as I'm concerned.
Let's see if he can even be in Gun Runner's ballpark .....but right now, for his age, and what he has accomplished in a very SHORT career, he's a pretty good horse. I dunno how anyone can take that away from him.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-19-2018 at 08:40 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #28
GMB@BP

Quote:
Didn't Brown say before the race he saw it as a "match race", to me that meant they were gonna take it to Justify, exactly as it unfolded.
I said that earlier this week, it turned it into a real riders race, especially for Justify with the target on his back.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Let's see if he can even be in Gun Runner's ballpark .....
Love me some Gun Runner. Underrated horse.

Last edited by PaceMasterT; 05-19-2018 at 08:41 PM.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #30
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
try and win and you finish 4th,,,awesome, stupid sham performance.

cost them a lot of cash doing this
If you would of watched the previous 12 races before the Preakness, you would of drawn the conclusion that the only 2 horses that had a chance of winning was the horses that broke from the gate first or second. Besides chad brown was not taking the horse to the Belmont.

Last edited by porchy44; 05-19-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: add to
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply