Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
BIG RED
Son O'War

YouBet/Firefox

Did I read here sometime ago that there was a way for youbet to work in the firefox browser? A new plug-in or something?

MY IE7 got whacked again, sometimes it won't even open to home age. Then I hit a fave and it freezes. This happens to many times, so my question is about FF, which Im using now. Only main reason I use IE is for youbet.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Red Knave
dGnr8

Red

There is an add-on for FF called IE Tab that allows you to specify that certain sites be viewed with the IE engine rather than FF's. Open FF and go to tools/add-ons and then select the Get Extensons link and do a search from there.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
BIG RED
Son O'War

OK Red, racing time now, will try to hook up with it later, thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
Red

There is an add-on for FF called IE Tab that allows you to specify that certain sites be viewed with the IE engine rather than FF's. Open FF and go to tools/add-ons and then select the Get Extensons link and do a search from there.
If IE is broken from the desktop, it probably won't work from here will it?
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
BIG RED
Son O'War

I may just dump IE all together Bill, we'll see. Then I could care less
Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
tupper

You are trying to switch what is listed as your "user agent."

Here is a site that mentions a plug-in/extension and a manual method (typing
about:config into the Firefox address bar):
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1135/...access_content

Here is an extensive list of user agent strings if you choose to manually modify your user agent listing:
http://www.pgts.com.au/pgtsj/pgtsj0208c.html
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Good point tupper, that will work! - assuming there is no technical reason for using IE - i.e. a website using non-standard software. I just ran into the same problem - setting up DSL service (dumping cable - it really sucks). The first thing I run into when hitting their site "Unsupported Browser". FF 2.0.0.2 unsupported by what? sheesh - I almost forgot about that extention - thanks for the memory jogger.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
BillW
Comfortably Numb

For those not comfortable editing the config manually, an extension ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/
Old 03-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Red Knave
dGnr8

BillW know his stuff

Red, you could also take a look at Opera. It allows you to change the browser Identification to IE or FF as necessary for those sites that care.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
candystripes

Youbet to support Firefox

Youbet will be supporting Firefox in the near future, likely after the Triple Crown.
candystripes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
BIG RED
Son O'War

Thanks guys, you made it real simple, not like Windows. It says I have the switcher so, will try it later today, before my weekly pub jaunt
Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
BIG RED
Son O'War

Doesn't work for me

Went to questions site and they say may not work on all sites, which leads me to ask, is it working for anyone else? Using W XP, IE7, and the switcher is in my ff browser now.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
Red Knave
dGnr8

Red, I just tried it with Opera (both with and without setting the identification) and it seemed to work fine.

I find I am using Opera more and more, not sure why. I may make it my default browser soon.
Anyway, you can download it here (it's free also)
http://www.opera.com/

Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED
Doesn't work for me.
Went to questions site and they say may not work on all sites, which leads me to ask, is it working for anyone else? Using W XP, IE7, and the switcher is in my ff browser now.
Double check the user agent identifier that your Firefox browser is showing: http://webtips.dan.info/cgi-bin/browser.pl

If it shows a version of IE, try a user agent string from another version of IE (see the second link in post #6, above). The user agent string can be changed manually by typing about:config in the Firefox address bar, and then changing/typing the new string at the appropriate line.

The user agent string should probably match the platform. For instance, if your platform shows as Mac, then your user agent string should read something like "IE6 for Mac".

New user agent strings can also be added to the Firefox Switcher extension/plug-in. This process is described at the first link in post #6 above.

@Red_Knave
Please use Opera to go to: http://webtips.dan.info/cgi-bin/browser.pl and then post the results in this thread, so that we can see an example of what is working with non-IE browsers at YouBet.

By the way, I have Opera, and I would use it more often, but I cannot figure out how to make it automatically fill out usernames/forms like other browsers. For instance, once I fill-in a username on a web page, Firefox remembers the username, and, subsequently, always gives that name as a selection when I come to the same username blank. Can one do the same in Opera?
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper @Red_Knave
Please use Opera to go to: [url="http://webtips.dan.info/cgi-bin/browser.pl"
http://webtips.dan.info/cgi-bin/browser.pl[/url] and then post the results in this thread, so that we can see an example of what is working with non-IE browsers at YouBet.
Code:
Your browser type as detected by my user-agent-identifier parser script: User Agent String sent by your browser:	Opera/9.10 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
Browser Name as determined by my script:	Opera
Browser Major Version as determined by my script:	9
Platform as determined by my script:	Windows XP
I should mention that I can't subscribe to YouBet so I am claiming it works because I can get further into the SignUp procedure than I can with FF. Your mileage may vary.
Quote:
By the way, I have Opera, and I would use it more often, but I cannot figure out how to make it automatically fill out usernames/forms like other browsers. For instance, once I fill-in a username on a web page, Firefox remembers the username, and, subsequently, always gives that name as a selection when I come to the same username blank. Can one do the same in Opera?
Yes, Version 9 has a "Wand" that can be preprogrammed to remember form filling details and it can also be set to remember passwords (Tools/Preferences).
One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get it to connect to my online broker. Everything else (including online banking) seems to work well. Page rendering on sites that were built for IE can sometimes be a little weird but that's just fluff. On my notebook, IE7 had the CPU running hard (the fan would always speed up) with Opera or FF it doesn't.