Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
dalypen

importing brisnet supertote into excel 2013

Really need help with this, last year i was able to import the toteboard data from brisnet with the get data from webpage with no problem using excel 2010. Last week i wanted to try it out but could not get the connection made. I logged in selected the import arrow even tried it on a new sheet.Still Not working.I did hear a few months back that brisnet change how they let users import there data (Is this True ?). I would love for someone to help me with this.fyi I did many searches in here and only found old post from the way I did it last year.Is excel 2013 the problem? or is it my dumb old ass. Thanks
dalypen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
sjk

I put Office 2000 on all my new computers (I have 4 running now).
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I used 2000 for some years but switched to 2002 (Office XP), and also have 2010 on my machine. I prefer 2002 unless there is something that cannot be done in earlier versions due to the tighter limitations, but that is rare.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalypen
Really need help with this, last year i was able to import the toteboard data from brisnet with the get data from webpage with no problem using excel 2010. Last week i wanted to try it out but could not get the connection made. I logged in selected the import arrow even tried it on a new sheet.Still Not working.I did hear a few months back that brisnet change how they let users import there data (Is this True ?). I would love for someone to help me with this.fyi I did many searches in here and only found old post from the way I did it last year.Is excel 2013 the problem? or is it my dumb old ass. Thanks
I have never used Supertote, however, you've peeked my curiosity.

I went the the BRISNET page and clicked on Supertote, selected Sam Houston then entered into Supertote. It appears to be showing information.

When I use the browser tool, show source, I get a minimal amount of HTML code or data and certainly not any HTML lists or tables.

I conclude they did change the way they present data which prevents you from scraping the page content.

If I'm wrong, I would like to know how this kind of page rendering can be retrieved and loaded -- it would be a learning experience for me.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk
I put Office 2000 on all my new computers (I have 4 running now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I used 2000 for some years but switched to 2002 (Office XP), and also have 2010 on my machine. I prefer 2002 unless there is something that cannot be done in earlier versions due to the tighter limitations, but that is rare.
Are you guys saying that earlier versions of MS Excel (like 2000) will provide automatic data import of the SuperTote page?
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2015, 02:51 AM   #6
sjk

You can certainly open the html files with Excel 2000 and probably newer versions too.

I am suggesting that if the OP is uncertain whether the Excel upgrade or something at Brisnet has caused things to be different he should get to a box running the old Excel to test. My version is very old but I have seen nothing different in the Supertote.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2015, 03:02 AM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

While I haven't tried to "Import External Data" Supertote recently, I know that a few years back Brisnet was shutting down frequent pingers of Supertote. I am fairly sure that one could, at least initially, import the tote, but whether or not you would be allowed to continuously ping the server I have serious doubts.

There are other online totes that are probably much more accommodating. This one will work for sure, or was working a short time ago:

https://classic.ebetusa.com/

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
BreadandButter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalypen
I tried this and was able to get it to import into Excel 2013. In Excel under the Data table choose "From Web" - enter the web address of the tables from Supertote you want (I had to modify them slightly from the HTML source) - Select Go - Click the Import Button - in properties you can select the refresh rate.

However, each time the table refreshes for whatever reason it's hiding the columns and each time I need to manually go unhide them? The table is there, it's updating, but it's just hiding the columns on each update?
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
BreadandButter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadandButter
However, each time the table refreshes for whatever reason it's hiding the columns and each time I need to manually go unhide them? The table is there, it's updating, but it's just hiding the columns on each update?
I got it - to stop hiding the columns - just uncheck "Adjust column width" in the properties.
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: