Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #61
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
BREAKING NEWS: FRANCE REQUESTS REMATCH WITH CROATIA

Uh....................No?
It's only 8 races...and anything can happen. Heck...I've won heads-up with only an $11 return total...and I've lost with a total of $59.

It's a lot of fun though, and highly-profitable in the long run...for those who are more "comprehensive" in their skill level. And, while I admit that I will be taking a step up in class when I go up against someone of your tournament resume...I remain optimistic about my chances. And, perhaps I should be "quietly optimistic" from now on...lest people here think that I am underestimating the task of squaring up against an accomplished tournament player such as yourself.

En Garde, Monsieur Stauffer!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #62
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It's only 8 races...and anything can happen. Heck...I've won heads-up with only an $11 return total...and I've lost with a total of $59.

It's a lot of fun though, and highly-profitable in the long run...for those who are more "comprehensive" in their skill level. And, while I admit that I will be taking a step up in class when I go up against someone of your tournament resume...I remain optimistic about my chances. And, perhaps I should be "quietly optimistic" from now on...lest people here think that I am underestimating the task of squaring up against an accomplished tournament player such as yourself.

En Garde, Monsieur Stauffer!
I feel good about my prep work already. I've looked at all "11" races on the card.

But you're good. Stop after the 8th. No worries.

You're good enough to not need to make a pick in those final three.

In fact I think those last three should be left blank. It will help even the playing field for a +150 dog such as me.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #63
thaskalos

Quote:
I feel good about my prep work already. I've looked at all "11" races on the card.

But you're good. Stop after the 8th. No worries.

You're good enough to not need to make a pick in those final three.

In fact I think those last three should be left blank. It will help even the playing field for a +150 dog such as me.

The heads-up tournaments that I have seen at HorseTourneys include a maximum of 8 races. Even if a race card has 11 races...the heads-up tourney goes from races 4 to 11. But...I haven't been there long...so I could be mistaken.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #64
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The heads-up tournaments that I have seen at HorseTourneys include a maximum of 8 races. Even if a race card has 11 races...the heads-up tourney goes from races 4 to 11. But...I haven't been there long...so I could be mistaken.
I forgot about that. You're probably right. Hopefully it will cross pollinate with the Del Mar qualifier which I'm going to play no matter what.

Curious. Can I bet on you to place
Old 07-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #65
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
You originally posted this on 10/1/2017. You've come a long way in a short period of time.

Quick question about DRF Bets. How come they don't offer the Kentucky tracks when Xpressbet does and Xpressbet runs DRF Bets?
Right now DRF is in an all out war with churchill downs, they dont even sell the form at CD now.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #66
thaskalos

Quote:
Curious. Can I bet on you to place
Sure. But I'll take it out of the dinner check.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #67
BCOURTNEY

Today's Del Mar fun for me.

BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #68
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY View Post
Good for you BC. I played in "THE BIG ONE" last year. Fun tournament. Well run.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #69
Mulerider

Quote:
Today's Del Mar fun for me.
Good job! You know, what's missing in this thread is the plain fun aspect of tournaments. It's not as satisfying as the money, I'll admit. But in the last 5 years, the days I remember most vividly were not live scores, but tournaments in which I didn't embarrass myself. For instance, a couple of years ago I came in 3rd in a contest here at PA, $6 behind the winner. Sorry, Thask, but that was Vic...and he had predicted his win days in advance.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #70
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Good for you BC. I played in "THE BIG ONE" last year. Fun tournament. Well run.
I should have been playing contests all year I waited until the last 2 months last year then double qualified for NHC and WCH in November, but didn't start soon enough for a shot at BCBC or The Big One, the Big One looks like a well put on affair. Myabe I'll jump into the Del Mar contest with you this weekend, looks fun!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #71
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Good job! You know, what's missing in this thread is the plain fun aspect of tournaments. It's not as satisfying as the money, I'll admit. But in the last 5 years, the days I remember most vividly were not live scores, but tournaments in which I didn't embarrass myself. For instance, a couple of years ago I came in 3rd in a contest here at PA, $6 behind the winner. Sorry, Thask, but that was Vic...and he had predicted his win days in advance.
Yes, I like the fun of it, The contests allow me to mentally exercise myself while playing at the window (my main interest) .. The forced single selection process also makes someone increase their critical thinking at the windows, I have heard this from a lot of contest players. It's good fun and sharpens a player's game.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #72
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I truly love tournaments. Live $$$ more so than mythical. But both are cool. Tournaments have been especially good for me because they are "tilt proof".

I'm not the most disciplined player in the world. I have some "chase" in me.

I remember when you finished 2nd to me Mule. You did an excellent job that day.

Some of the results just fell my way.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #73
v j stauffer

Quote:
I should have been playing contests all year I waited until the last 2 months last year then double qualified for NHC and WCH in November, but didn't start soon enough for a shot at BCBC or The Big One, the Big One looks like a well put on affair. Myabe I'll jump into the Del Mar contest with you this weekend, looks fun!

You're qualified for more than me. I have one NHC. One BCBC and I sold a PWC which I recently won at Santa Anita. It conflicts with opening weekend at Oaklawn.

The NHC is a very cool tournament. A must play just because of the atmosphere and the chance at an Eclipse award.

The BCBC is the BEST! Live money. Two day tourney with the best racing in the world. Huge prize pool. Chance at bonuses.

Two years ago I was alive for a $1 million bonus. Was 2nd going into the last race. Went all in on California Chrome. $50k. Ended up with the tri for $500 which still dropped me from 2nd to 14th.

This year I finished 10th. DQ'ed into 9th. Was again alive for the bonus. Again went all in. Had $22,000 to win on Collected. But did have a $3500 exacta box with Gun Runner.

Haven't qualified for the bonus yet for this year. Something I intend to rectify by winning Del Mar on the 28th & 29th. I hope.

Jump on in for Del Mar. More the merrier. Excellent tournament. FABULOUS place to play in the Skyroom on the 6th floor. Chance to compare your skills against an elite field.

Won't have to beat Thask either when he retires after I throttle him on our "Texas Chain" match on Sunday. :-)

Last edited by v j stauffer; 07-19-2018 at 09:00 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #74
GMB@BP

Quote:
Nice job!! I have seen your name in the leader boards in some of my games as well.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #75
GMB@BP

Quote:
I truly love tournaments. Live $$$ more so than mythical. But both are cool. Tournaments have been especially good for me because they are "tilt proof".

I'm not the most disciplined player in the world. I have some "chase" in me.

I remember when you finished 2nd to me Mule. You did an excellent job that day.

Some of the results just fell my way.
What I like, well I like quite a few things about tourneys.

1. They make me look for other factors other than just who looks like the best horse. So it makes me a better player in general.

2. You get a lot of action for not too much money (unless someone caps out in a small race contest).

3. You can play for a reasonable amount of money. A bad day at playing contests are almost assuredly less than a bad day live betting.

4. No CRW teams

5. Breakage

6. Its fun to take down the big name pro's, of which I have done a few times.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: