Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Couldn't this be related to the extra meet they now schedule in the fall? I imagine if Saratoga started running a second meet the same would happen there.

That's what I thought as soon as I saw the numbers. People have more options now, they can come later in the year when there's less traffic and smaller crowds. Not everyone likes being at a track that's packed where you have to wait on lines, etc.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
That's what I thought as soon as I saw the numbers. People have more options now, they can come later in the year when there's less traffic and smaller crowds. Not everyone likes being at a track that's packed where you have to wait on lines, etc.
Opening Day got out of hand for far too long. Just about everyone had too much to drink and the cops had a field day handing out DUI's. People know that so not as many show up.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
tophatmert

Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't know. But it is clearly happening. And honestly, Harper should stop publicly lobbying for another BC at Del Mar and try to figure out how to stop the bleeding. Tracks that lose their live fanbases rarely get them back.
With the exception of parking/traffic, the BC at Del Mar was great. But I'm sure you could have made it better.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert View Post
Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.

Yogi Berra quote?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post

Yogi Berra quote?
I believe so. Always one of my favorites.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I just did some digging and I was there last Saturday August 10, 1996 an article in the Washington Post said the crowd was 35,000 and it was packed solid, so something must have expanded since then. That was the Pacific Classic where Cigar's winning streak was snapped.
I was there. It was comfortable, not "packed".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
With the exception of parking/traffic, the BC at Del Mar was great. But I'm sure you could have made it better.
That's because the actual attendances were tiny. I posted pictures of the empty aprons, seats, and lobbies here that day.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:53 AM   #24
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I just did some digging and I was there last Saturday August 10, 1996 an article in the Washington Post said the crowd was 35,000 and it was packed solid, so something must have expanded since then. That was the Pacific Classic where Cigar's winning streak was snapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I was there. It was comfortable, not "packed".

We obviously have a difference of opinion on what packed is. No need for your comments.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #25
castaway01

If I'm running Del Mar and I get those attendance and handle figures back, "worrying" is not one of the things I'm doing. Maybe having one of those $15 drinks they serve there. That is, unless the attendance is inflated by 20,000 or something, but people are still betting on the product.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #26
AndyC

Quote:
We obviously have a difference of opinion on what packed is. No need for your comments.
I was there too and remember how crowded it seemed. I never missed a day at Del Mar for 30 years and that day seemed extra crowded. Comfortable it was not!

The difference in perspective could be how one spends their time at the track. I always go to the paddock between races. Without a doubt the paddock was the most crowded and congested I had/have ever experienced at Del Mar. I am sure dilanesp was not mingling with the hoi polloi at the paddock so he was probably comfortable and not crowded.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I was there too and remember how crowded it seemed. I never missed a day at Del Mar for 30 years and that day seemed extra crowded. Comfortable it was not!

The difference in perspective could be how one spends their time at the track. I always go to the paddock between races. Without a doubt the paddock was the most crowded and congested I had/have ever experienced at Del Mar. I am sure dilanesp was not mingling with the hoi polloi at the paddock so he was probably comfortable and not crowded.

I have all my handicapping done the night before, if I am alone I wander all over the place, I usually am a rail bird at the finish line when the race starts.
I probably at least walk around enough to get the equivalent of walking a long golf course. Before a lower spinal fusion slowed me down at any track with an infield I would be on the backstretch rail to watch the start of the one turn races then sprint across to get as close to the finish line as possible to watch the finish. Of course if I have female company my wandering is cut down tremendously.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If I'm running Del Mar and I get those attendance and handle figures back, "worrying" is not one of the things I'm doing. Maybe having one of those $15 drinks they serve there. That is, unless the attendance is inflated by 20,000 or something, but people are still betting on the product.
What significance is attendance when handle is where the $$$ is?
Most people bet off track.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
I go to Del Mar a lot. It got pretty crowded on opening day in the past.

But the 1996 Pacific Classic? It was very hard to park, but once I was in, it was easy to bet, buy food, get to my seat, etc. It just wasn't packed.

EDIT: I will concede the paddock could have been packed. That's a small space.

Last edited by dilanesp; 07-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #30
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What significance is attendance when handle is where the $$$ is?
Most people bet off track.
Attendance is a key part of DMR's summer business model. They charge a lot to get in and sit down and especially for drinks.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: