Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Mega Barn "Super" Trainers are............... (You can choose more than one answer)
Good for the game 13 10.00%
Bad for the game 81 62.31%
Have "Super Vets" and "Super" vet bills 47 36.15%
Just work harder than everyone else 11 8.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. This poll is closed

Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

Controversial Thread Alert! Super Trainers. Good for the game? Bad for the game?

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...FPFq7Q.twitter

Excerpt:

He (Chad Brown) apologizes for nothing.

“I am doing a service to the industry by taking certain clients that I have had and doubling and tripling or even quadrupling the amount of horses they own since they first hired me,” he said. “That’s because they have had success with us. These are people who, if they were in another barn and weren’t doing as well, might not be in the game any longer. Be careful throwing too many arrows at the larger, successful stables that are cultivating owners, increasing the amount of dollars spent and the overall commerce in the sport. That trickles down to the breeders, the racetrack owners and others.”

To be a super trainer, you must be like Brown, focused solely on your career and willing to forego any sort of normal life.

“There’s a price for this,” said Mark Casse, who trains about 125 horses. “We don’t have days off. Not even Christmas. It’s an all-day deal, an all-night deal. Myself, I thrive on that. I get bored easily.”

“I work really hard at this,” Baffert said. “I don’t take vacations and I don’t go anywhere. It’s a lot of hard work and effort and that’s why I’m rewarded with a lot of good horses.”

For the whole article click the link.

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Andy Asaro

I'm on the record saying that IMO Baffert is the Lance Armstrong of Horse Racing. I base that on the sudden deaths where 7 horses died of heart related issues and were all being given Thyr-L for no apparent reason. Then you add the other worldly success in the worlds biggest races. If the starting offensive line for the super bowl champs all died of the same thing in an 18 month period I'm pretty sure the FBI would investigate.

That's my belief. What's yours?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

"A racetrack veterinarian contacted by the Paulick Report said the practice of routinely administering Thyro-L was not unusual."

Nor was it, I might add, illegal.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...ng-wrong-here/

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-20-2018 at 09:58 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
"A racetrack veterinarian contacted by the Paulick Report said the practice of routinely administering Thyro-L was not unusual."

It isn't illegal but it should be. Giving any drugs looking for a performance edge and not treating a condition is a sad reality of the sport.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

That's BS. It's highly unusual. He should've done more research. Everyone in the industry knows what was going on here, and which outfits suddenly started giving their horses Thyro-L and why.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post

Excerpt:

He (Chad Brown) apologizes for nothing.

“I am doing a service to the industry by taking certain clients that I have had and doubling and tripling or even quadrupling the amount of horses they own since they first hired me,” he said. “That’s because they have had success with us. These are people who, if they were in another barn and weren’t doing as well, might not be in the game any longer. Be careful throwing too many arrows at the larger, successful stables that are cultivating owners, increasing the amount of dollars spent and the overall commerce in the sport. That trickles down to the breeders, the racetrack owners and others.”

To be a super trainer, you must be like Brown, focused solely on your career and willing to forego any sort of normal life.

“There’s a price for this,” said Mark Casse, who trains about 125 horses. “We don’t have days off. Not even Christmas. It’s an all-day deal, an all-night deal. Myself, I thrive on that. I get bored easily.”

“I work really hard at this,” Baffert said. “I don’t take vacations and I don’t go anywhere. It’s a lot of hard work and effort and that’s why I’m rewarded with a lot of good horses.”

For the whole article click the link.

Poor babies. Only these guys work hard. None of the other trainers work nearly as hard as they do. <huge eyeroll>
Old 06-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Andy Asaro

Quote:

Do you buy the explanation for the sudden deaths? Remember during the investigation the CHRB Commissioner and B.B.'s friend sat in his box on a regular basis. No other Trainer anywhere would have been allowed to train during that investigation. It was swept under the rug and covered up IMO because B.B. was too big to fail.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Poor babies. Only these guys work hard. None of the other trainers work nearly as hard as they do. <huge eyeroll>
I got the same feeling as you. They make me puke.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I got the same feeling as you. They make me puke.
It's a tough life. They work 24/7/365 for the most part. But to talk as if it's only the "super trainers" who work that schedule is insulting to every non-super-trainer out there. Yes, maybe that one guy with 15 horses doesn't have as long of hours, but he's a very small, almost "part-time" trainer. The normal trainers ALL work those long hours. If anything, it may even be easier for the "super trainers" because they can and do afford to hire great assistants who do a lot of the work.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
That's BS. It's highly unusual. He should've done more research. Everyone in the industry knows what was going on here, and which outfits suddenly started giving their horses Thyro-L and why.
If it's highly unusual, why did the vet that Paulick Report reached out to say it wasn't unusual?

Who should I believe? A vet reported by Ray Paulick or "Fager Fan"?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It isn't illegal but it should be. Giving any drugs looking for a performance edge and not treating a condition is a sad reality of the sport.
Agree completely. Just wanted to point out some facts to those who might be unaware.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Do you buy the explanation for the sudden deaths? Remember during the investigation the CHRB Commissioner and B.B.'s friend sat in his box on a regular basis. No other Trainer anywhere would have been allowed to train during that investigation. It was swept under the rug and covered up IMO because B.B. was too big to fail.
The explanation is BB ****ed up.

So he stopped using the drug, since, I guess, they came to the conclusion that was the cause?

But if it isn't unusual to use it, as the article states, then a lot more horses should be dropping dead...and they aren't.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
It's a tough life. They work 24/7/365 for the most part. But to talk as if it's only the "super trainers" who work that schedule is insulting to every non-super-trainer out there. Yes, maybe that one guy with 15 horses doesn't have as long of hours, but he's a very small, almost "part-time" trainer. The normal trainers ALL work those long hours. If anything, it may even be easier for the "super trainers" because they can and do afford to hire great assistants who do a lot of the work.
Who cares how long anyone works?

The only thing that matters is winning.

You don't win, you starve.

By any means possible is their mantra.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
MadTiger

"He said 'trickle-down'. Good enough for me!"--ghost of Ronald Reagan
MadTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
Denny
Veteran

"Throwing arrows..."

I think the drug usage by the super trainers is rampant and since they've become too-big-to-fail it will only get worse.

Smaller outfits have little chance to compete with these guys.

Something ought to be done, but, who's going to do it?
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: