Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #61
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Here's a prediction.
TVG has the word games in it and not racing, so within 12-18 months, TVG2 will abandon horse racing and move full time in to sports betting.

Racing coverage will be severely cut back as the new bowl of fruit is set on the table and the over-ripe bananas are taken back to the kitchen.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #62
oughtoh

Exactly why I don't watch TVG anymore.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #63
TiffaniO
Queen B

Isn’t the TVG Network basically obsolete due to live streaming from ADWs and the functionality of video from cell phones or laptops?

If you are watching TVG and betting, it means you are using an ADW, which means you can get the live stream of any track you want without hearing the TVG “personalities”.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #64
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The two today - Christine and Hazelton - yap yap yap yap yap all day, making no sense and just talking for the sake of talking.

Neither one of them is needed - play MUSZAK.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #65
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
Isn’t the TVG Network basically obsolete due to live streaming from ADWs and the functionality of video from cell phones or laptops?

If you are watching TVG and betting, it means you are using an ADW, which means you can get the live stream of any track you want without hearing the TVG “personalities”.
There is still the convenience of watching on your television.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #66
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yep and also with RTN.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #67
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I have to able to switch back and forth between tracks and PATTON all day!

Computer screen is much too small.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #68
GMB@BP

Quote:

I dont have great Internet, its very convenient to watch on my TV.

Still am amazed its not in hi def.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #69
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Yes there is but if someone isn’t happy, they have options. My Dad hates TVG so he sits with the laptop and watches.

Any horse racing on TV will never please most horse players. As the article from 20 years ago stated, they aren’t trying to bring in the clientele that frequent this message board. They are trying to rope in Joe Schmoe. Thus the fluff.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #70
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Yes there is but if someone isn’t happy, they have options. My Dad hates TVG so he sits with the laptop and watches.

Any horse racing on TV will never please most horse players. As the article from 20 years ago stated, they aren’t trying to bring in the clientele that frequent this message board. They are trying to rope in Joe Schmoe. Thus the fluff.
I agree. I can listen if I'm bored, tune it out if I'm not interested, doesn't bother me one way or the other. TVG is trying to get people to bet, especially the bets where they make the most money. I'm not sure what people really expect.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #71
thaskalos

I wish I were a total beginner...so I could watch TVG with a "beginner's mind", to see if there is any redeeming value at all to that show...which eludes me at the present time. Because all I see there now is just a televised tip-sheet...run by inept handicappers. My deepest sympathies lie with the horseplayers who depend on TVG for their wagering selections, or betting strategy.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-29-2018 at 12:21 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #72
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I wish I were a total beginner...so I could watch TVG with a "beginner's mind", to see if there is any redeeming value at all to that show...which eludes me at the present time. Because all I see there now is just a televised tip-sheet...run by inept handicappers. My deepest sympathies lie with the horseplayers who depend on TVG for their wagering selections, or betting strategy.
I doubt those people actually exist to be honest. I mean, maybe for a few days, week at most, but money doesn't lie. People figure out pretty quickly they are losing. And if they don't figure it out and are still betting TV picks, there probably is no saving them.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:27 AM   #73
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
I doubt those people actually exist to be honest. I mean, maybe for a few days, week at most, but money doesn't lie. People figure out pretty quickly they are losing. And if they don't figure it out and are still betting TV picks, there probably is no saving them.
Surprisingly, I think a lot of people play their picks. If someone puts up a pick 4 ticket that is alive going into the final leg,the payoffs for those horses are often far less than you would think they would be.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #74
thaskalos

Quote:
I just had a thought: Could it be that the TVG hosts are at least partly to blame for the losses that have driven so many horseplayers away from this game in recent years?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #75
thaskalos

Quote:
Surprisingly, I think a lot of people play their picks. If someone puts up a pick 4 ticket that is alive going into the final leg,the payoffs for those horses are often far less than you would think they would be.
You mean there are horseplayers out there who are "unsophisticated" enough to bet real money on a pick-4 posted by Peter Lurie?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: