Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Mega Barn "Super" Trainers are............... (You can choose more than one answer)
Good for the game 13 10.00%
Bad for the game 81 62.31%
Have "Super Vets" and "Super" vet bills 47 36.15%
Just work harder than everyone else 11 8.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. This poll is closed

Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #136
Andy Asaro

Paolucci said Thursday by phone from his primary residence in Frisco, Texas, that his clashes with “the racing elite” have taken a toll on his mental and physical health, and “the final nail” came with the disqualification of Game Over from a July 9 allowance at Thistledown.

Game Over won easily when coupled with another Loooch horse, Chromium, at 1-5 odds. However, Chromium, ridden by Luis Raul Rivera, was deemed guilty of fouling another horse, leading to Game Over being placed second.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #137
highnote

I've been looking at Hong Kong racing quite a bit over the summer. The Hong Kong Jockey Club has a terrific website and all the information is free at http://www.hkjc.com.

The HKJC run a tight ship. The main thing I like about their racing is their strict drug use policy. The use of Lasix, for example, is never allowed to be used -- even in training.

Contrast HK's drug policies with Kentucky's policies -- some of the most liberal in the world.

When I was managing a racing stable and raced out of Mountaineer Park our trainer would not allow us to claim horses that shipped up from KY because too many of them were only able to race with the help of drugs. This was a widely held belief among MNR trainers and owners.

Last edited by highnote; 07-19-2018 at 02:13 PM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #138
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
I've been looking at Hong Kong racing quite a bit over the summer. The Hong Kong Jockey Club has a terrific website and all the information is free at http://www.hkjc.com.

The HKJC run a tight ship. The main thing I like about their racing is their strict drug use policy. The use of Lasix, for example, is never allowed to be used -- even in training.

Contrast HK's drug policies with Kentucky's policies -- some of the most liberal in the world.

When I was managing a racing stable and raced out of Mountaineer Park our trainer would not allow us to claim horses that shipped up from KY because too many of them were only able to race with the help of drugs. This was a widely held belief among MNR trainers and owners.
Transparent on vet records, investigations when a heavy favorite doesn't place, actual jockey suspensions.. the list goes on.. and on.. They are a great model for the future.. they wil; make it because they insist it's a professionally run game so it operates and acts like one, you get the sense it will survive a long time... downsides are a known small population of animals, small number of venues.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 AM   #139
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY View Post
Transparent on vet records, investigations when a heavy favorite doesn't place, actual jockey suspensions.. the list goes on.. and on.. They are a great model for the future.. they wil; make it because they insist it's a professionally run game so it operates and acts like one, you get the sense it will survive a long time... downsides are a known small population of animals, small number of venues.
The benefit of a small number of animals is that you get to know the horses. That might not appeal to everyone, but that doesn't bother me. I like that they have a lot of handicap races. From what I have seen there are a lot more longshot winners because of the amount of weight a horse has to carry gives longshots a better chance. The turf races have a lot of close finishes with 12 to 14 horse fields which makes for exciting racing.

HK racing might be better compared to what U.S. racing could have been like in the 1940s when horseracing was the only legal gambling outlet. The tracks made a lot of money and could better support the product. Now, there is so much legalized gambling that it is hard for a U.S. track to stay in business without some kind of subsidy.

I used to really like NYRA in the mid-1990s when Lasix was banned. Part of the reason NYRA legalized it was because of economics. Other jurisdictions allowed Lasix so NYRA was forced to allow it, too, or risk losing horses to other venues where it was permitted.

The biggest positive for me about HK racing is that drugs are not permitted -- even in training. At least I know when I'm handicapping that I don't have to worry handicapping the trainers to determine who has the best pharmaceuticals or who is best at masking snake venom.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #140
BCOURTNEY

... boring for game, bad for wagering value.

This is not a spectator sport - and the horsemen forget this frequently, we demand competitive fields and wagering opportunities.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #141
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY View Post
... boring for game, bad for wagering value.

This is not a spectator sport - and the horsemen forget this frequently, we demand competitive fields and wagering opportunities.
Good point. I watch a lot of pro and college football and basketball, but rarely, if ever, wager on them. I might buy into a March Madness office pool every other year or buy a box at a Super Bowl party, but I actually enjoy watching the games without betting on the outcome.

Very rarely is a horse race interesting to watch just for the fun of it -- except if I am an owner. But in that case, I am still gambling. I win purse money if my horse wins and I risk the expense money getting it ready to race.

I can watch LeBron or Brady play a game simply for the entertainment value.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:58 AM   #142
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
The benefit of a small number of animals is that you get to know the horses. That might not appeal to everyone, but that doesn't bother me. I like that they have a lot of handicap races. From what I have seen there are a lot more longshot winners because of the amount of weight a horse has to carry gives longshots a better chance. The turf races have a lot of close finishes with 12 to 14 horse fields which makes for exciting racing.

HK racing might be better compared to what U.S. racing could have been like in the 1940s when horseracing was the only legal gambling outlet. The tracks made a lot of money and could better support the product. Now, there is so much legalized gambling that it is hard for a U.S. track to stay in business without some kind of subsidy.

I used to really like NYRA in the mid-1990s when Lasix was banned. Part of the reason NYRA legalized it was because of economics. Other jurisdictions allowed Lasix so NYRA was forced to allow it, too, or risk losing horses to other venues where it was permitted.

The biggest positive for me about HK racing is that drugs are not permitted -- even in training. At least I know when I'm handicapping that I don't have to worry handicapping the trainers to determine who has the best pharmaceuticals or who is best at masking snake venom.
Yes, I'm all for less dropped buzzers on the track as well. I would prefer that US racing reinvent itself, they have a great model to extract some ideas from.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:28 AM   #143
clicknow

Quote:
many have been singing the praises of Hong Kong racing for years now, and myself and many horse racing friends are putting more of our wagering dollar to that track. I can handicap horses, but I can't handicap drugs and cripples.

Plus, they have Jenny Chapman She's a great analyst.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #144
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
many have been singing the praises of Hong Kong racing for years now, and myself and many horse racing friends are putting more of our wagering dollar to that track. I can handicap horses, but I can't handicap drugs and cripples.

Plus, they have Jenny Chapman She's a great analyst.
Jenny's paddock analysis is terrific! She's the best paddock handicapper I've seen since Nick Mordin.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #145
Andy Asaro

Old 07-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #146
Andy Asaro

Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #147
highnote

Which U.S. racing jurisdictions have the strictest drug policies? Which have the most lenient?

As far as I am aware, Hong Kong is the industry leader in drug-free racing.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #148
jay68802

Quote:
Which U.S. racing jurisdictions have the strictest drug policies? Which have the most lenient?

As far as I am aware, Hong Kong is the industry leader in drug-free racing.
Does not matter who has the toughest policies, it matters how the policies are enforced. In Hong Kong, the suspensions are real. Here the trainers and owners can easily get around the suspensions.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #149
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Does not matter who has the toughest policies, it matters how the policies are enforced. In Hong Kong, the suspensions are real. Here the trainers and owners can easily get around the suspensions.
Then let me rephrase the question. Which jurisdictions have the toughest drug enforcement policies?
Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #150
MadVindication

Quote:
The benefit of a small number of animals is that you get to know the horses.
Sounds good. What service do you use to view races in Hong Kong? Can you recommend an online televisor/wagering site?
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: