Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
No, you can only vote for reps running in your district, unless something changed since I fled California a half dozen years ago.
not sure why they would do that when these people represent the whole state in D.C. I realize ND is a blip on the radar in this regard but we don't have districts for federal office.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
not sure why they would do that when these people represent the whole state in D.C. I realize ND is a blip on the radar in this regard but we don't have districts for federal office.
California has over 50 districts and usually a boat load of state and local ballot initiatives. If you could vote for all the reps and everything else the ballots would look like legal pads. When I moved to Virginia from California I was looking for a sample ballot on the web as I guess when you register here they don't send you one. I kept finding them with only 4 things to vote on and thought I was on official gov sites. The average ballot on major elections in California have over two dozen items. Not till I was handed a ballot at my polling place here did I believe there were only 4 items to vote on.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Inner Dirt

Quote:
California has 50 times your population and that isn't even counting the millions of illegals.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #19
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
California has 50 times your population and that isn't even counting the millions of illegals.
Actually 55 times (2010 census) 37,254,000 vs. 673,000. They have 53 reps in all and they're on track to get at least 3-4 more after the next census, as the population has increased by 2 million in the past 6 years

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
Clocker

Quote:
They don't usually represent the whole state, they represent the people in their district. States like ND, WY, etc., with very small populations, only have one Representative in the House, so the state is their district.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #21
chadk66

I realize that but I think they should still have to vote for all the reps. If they had to vote for 50 different ones the riff raff would stay home.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I realize that but I think they should still have to vote for all the reps. If they had to vote for 50 different ones the riff raff would stay home.
I would venture a guess most people would just pick all Dems or Repubs.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #23
chadk66

Quote:
I would venture a guess most people would just pick all Dems or Repubs.
like they do now lol. so then voting for 50 wouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #24
Clocker

Quote:
I realize that but I think they should still have to vote for all the reps.
That defeats a major goal of the founders in writing the Constitution, which is to prevent the tyranny of the majority. We already have a problem in the Senate and in state-wide elections in many states where voters in the big cities dominate the rural areas and their interests. Why would you want to give more power to the big metropolitan areas?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
That defeats a major goal of the founders in writing the Constitution, which is to prevent the tyranny of the majority. We already have a problem in the Senate and in state-wide elections in many states where voters in the big cities dominate the rural areas and their interests. Why would you want to give more power to the big metropolitan areas?
now that makes perfect sense. withdrawn your honor
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #26
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yep, hard to go bankrupt with a bank in your pocket

"According to Chuck Neubauer and Ted Rohrlich writing in the Los Angeles Times in 2004, Maxine Waters' relatives had made more than $1 million during the preceding eight years by doing business with companies, candidates and causes that Waters had helped. They claimed she and her husband helped a company get government bond business, and her daughter Karen Waters and son Edward Waters have profited from her connections. Waters replied that "They do their business and I do mine."[54] Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) named Waters to its list of corrupt members of Congress in its 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2011 reports. She was accused of using her position to prevail upon officials to meet with OneUnited Bank without disclosing that she and her husband had significant stock holdings in the company.[55] Since she was on the Financial Services Committee she largely had the role of determining where TARP funds would go. $12 Million in TARP funds went to OneUnited without her ever disclosing that she had a financial stake at the company.[56][57][58] Citizens Against Government Waste named her the June 2009 Porker of the Month due to her intention to obtain an earmark for the Maxine Waters Employment Preparation Center.[59]"

In 2010, Waters came under investigation for ethics violations and was accused by a House panel of at least one ethics violation related to her efforts to help OneUnited Bank receive federal aid.[60] Waters' husband is a stockholder and former director of OneUnited Bank and the bank's executives were major contributors to her campaigns. In September 2008, Waters arranged meetings between U.S. Treasury Department officials and OneUnited Bank, so that the bank could plead for federal cash. It had been heavily invested in Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, and its capital was "all but wiped out" after the U.S. government took them over. The bank received $12 million in Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) money.[61][62] The matter was investigated by the House Ethics Committee,[63][64] which charged her with violations of the House's ethics rules in 2010.[65][66][67][68] On September 21, 2012, the House Ethics Committee completed a report clearing Waters of all ethics charges after nearly three years of investigation.[69]"

The ethics committee backed down ......and so did the DOJ

Quote: CBS News

"Is Maxine Waters as really dumb as she seems?"

She's one step above a snail and right on the heels of Sheila Jackson Lee in the brains department
Shocking! The Democratic controlled House Ethics Committee cleared Waters of all ethics charges. No, my mistake. In 2012 the House Ethics Committee was controlled by Republicans. If there was any there there, they would have nailed her.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #27
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
they would have nailed her.
There goes my appetite for the rest of the day.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #28
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yep, hard to go bankrupt with a bank in your pocket
Are you trying to tell us that banks can't go bankrupt. And, explain to us why OneUnited doesn't have the right to apply for TARP funds just because one of its shareholders is a member of Congress.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #29
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
There goes my appetite for the rest of the day.
Unfortunate choice of words. My apologies.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #30
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
None of whom call everybody who disagrees with them a racist. NONE OF THEM

It is inconceivable that anyone with a brain defends this criminal.
A "criminal" who has never been in jail or even accused of a crime. A "criminal" whom the House Ethics Committee cleared of wrong doing.
If you believe that anyone who made a living as a public servant for 40 years can afford a $4.3 million mansion HONESTLY needs a refresher course in integrity.
I think it is very easy to do. Start with a Congresspersons salary of $174,000 a year for 26 years. Add in Speakers fees which I am sure are considerable, plus return on investments. Next, look at Waters husband Sid Williams. Williams, who is a former NFL player was a Mercedes Benz salesman in Los Angeles for over twenty years. I am quite sure that a good MB salesman on commission can make a lot of money.

I don't know how long Waters has owned the property, but I see no reason she can't manage to pay for it with money she has earned legally.

Can we find other life long criminals in Congress? Of course. Most of them are. But this hypocrite who avoids her constituents to live among "rich white racists" gets her picture posted next to "despicable scum" as the perfect definition.

There is a warm place waiting in hell for dirt like Waters. Pelosi. Wasserman-Schultz and the Clintons. Since I don't want to appear sexist (note that the so-called Woman's March was actually Women-Who-Did-Not-Vote-For-Trump March. The intelligent ones (aka, the majority) stayed home), Harry Reid will be in charge of them in hell.

Like I have said, those who believe Republicans are saints are grossly mistaken.
They only seem like saints when placed next to the demoncrats.
While sending everyone you dislike to Hell, remember the old saying, "Judge not, that ye not be judged.

Last edited by mostpost; 07-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
mostpost is online now   Reply With Quote Reply