Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Pacquiao vs Horn

I just love the idea of top rank boxing on ESPN live from Brisbane. Reminds me of the old days of great fighting on free tv.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
ElKabong

Those Friday night fights from the east coast were a must see at my household as a kid. That would have been the early 60s. Don Dunphy (sp?) called the fights maybe, the guy was accurate as could be. Great boxing announcer

In the late 60s we got a feed from the LA Forum every late Sat night, it was a cheap replacement, but still entertaining. It was on an independent channel here (39) so I'm not sure how widely distributed that was
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Those Friday night fights from the east coast were a must see at my household as a kid. That would have been the early 60s. Don Dunphy (sp?) called the fights maybe, the guy was accurate as could be. Great boxing announcer

In the late 60s we got a feed from the LA Forum every late Sat night, it was a cheap replacement, but still entertaining. It was on an independent channel here (39) so I'm not sure how widely distributed that was
I used to go to the forum for some of those fights, I was young in a smoke filled room, but loved every moment.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
ElKabong

Robbery....
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Robbery....
Give Horn some credit but that was so BS!!!!!!!! Not even close in my book. I had it 8-4 in rounds.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #6
davew

they like aggression and swings there - I was actually surprised it made it all 12 rounds with the pace they started.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #7
elysiantraveller

This decision sucked because it could have been a great night for the sport. Kudos to Horn for a absolutely terrific fight but another example of boxing simply being unable to help itself.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
I used to go to the forum for some of those fights, I was young in a smoke filled room, but loved every moment.
A couple mentions of the Forum, but no mentioned the Olympic, looks like it still stands but is owned by a Korean Church.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
A couple mentions of the Forum, but no mentioned the Olympic, looks like it still stands but is owned by a Korean Church.
Many great nights of fighting at the Olympic. My buddy and I would go there and watch some fights every once in a while. We had a hook up in the area that sold us pot. I don't remember many names during those times. of course we were f-ed up, but it was exciting fighting.

The biggest fight I remember going to at the forum was with my buddy and his dad. We were 8 or 9 and didn't know much about boxing. It was Ali and Norton and we were concentrating on eating as much popcorn and cotton candy and humanly possible. I do remember it came to a decision and there was a lot of booing. I think Ali won but I'd have to look it up.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
ace4win

There should be a rematch this has been a dirty game.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.
ace4win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Many great nights of fighting at the Olympic. My buddy and I would go there and watch some fights every once in a while. We had a hook up in the area that sold us pot. I don't remember many names during those times. of course we were f-ed up, but it was exciting fighting.

The biggest fight I remember going to at the forum was with my buddy and his dad. We were 8 or 9 and didn't know much about boxing. It was Ali and Norton and we were concentrating on eating as much popcorn and cotton candy and humanly possible. I do remember it came to a decision and there was a lot of booing. I think Ali won but I'd have to look it up.
Norton broke his Ali's jaw early in that fight, but Ali hung in there and got a bad decision. I watched that fight and many others with my Dad. He called it early in the fight, that Ali was hurt, but I disagreed. He was right as usual.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #12
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Norton broke his Ali's jaw early in that fight, but Ali hung in there and got a bad decision. I watched that fight and many others with my Dad. He called it early in the fight, that Ali was hurt, but I disagreed. He was right as usual.
Wow, thank you for that. I can barely remember but a lot of people were cheering on Norton at times. Of course, we were so high up I couldn't tell the difference in fighters although I think Norton was maybe bigger.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Guess you had to be ringside to see this fight differently from the stats...

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 05:25 AM   #14
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4win View Post
There should be a rematch this has been a dirty game.

ESPN is a fake news organization and these numbers are wrong.

After giving the belt to Horn, they asked Manny if he would be back for the rematch 'as per the contract' and he said he would.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-10-2017 at 02:38 PM.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply