Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...und_poten.html

Here's one.....
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #17
kingfin66
Bombardier

Cool, thanks for that. You can probably tell from my response that I got more focused on Wilson than Tebow and thought that is who you were referring to. That is a good scouting report on Tebow. It's too bad it has been so long since he played baseball. My guess is that he will work a personal coach for a while and then arrange a private tryout for teams to scout him. Somebody will likely take a flyer on him because of who he is, but he would be a long, long shot to ever sniff the major leagues at this point. The best point of reference for him may be Rick Ankiel, a former left-handed pitching phenom who developed Steve Blass disease and also blew out his elbow. He reinvented himself as a hitter and had a successful career as an OF.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 12:30 AM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Ankiel was a great story. I followed him for a while.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

Gut tells me that this is Tim, and the folks who manage Tim Tebow Inc., maximizing the value of his 'brand'.

Remember that for all the millions of comments from sports fans that start with "Tebow should...", that he has no need for our advice, and he's 29 years old, making a great living as a football analyst, has some other media gigs and endorsement deals and net worth probably between 5-10 million dollars.

If he is somehow fully committed to an actual baseball career?
My eye says it would take him 3 minor league seasons to be a poor-man's Brett Gardner.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I would be willing to read that if you can post links. Factually speaking, he hit .230 in the Northwest League (short season A) and .228 in the South Atlantic League (low A). This demonstrated lack of talent at the professional baseball level earned him a release and he made a great decision to return to college football. NC State did not want him back and he landed at Wisconsin. The rest is history. His other option would have been to continue to pursue his baseball dreams by playing in a semi-pro league for a team such as Vic's Pittsurg Diamonds. Those leagues/teams are filled with guys who were not good enough to make it. Any scout who seriously thinks he can be a major league baseball player should not be a scout.

Please don't take this as me trying to tear Russell down. I live in the Seattle area and absolutely love him. The best things that have happened to Seattle football in the recent past are Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson. As far as being a baseball player goes, I would say that Russ is a helluva an NFL quarterback.

As far as his spring training invitations go, you do understand that he has been in the Texas Rangers camp for like one or two days at a time right? He takes some grounders, signs autographs, does not appear in games, and then goes back to what he was doing before camp. He does not attend camp as a serious player trying to make the team. I can provide links about these experiences, but they are very easy to find.
While those numbers and facts support your opinion, who gets hurt if he tries? I don't support the notion that the other kids are negatively impacted. Competition should make you try harder.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Tebow batting .320

Hits a walk off homer tonight

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/885...105152/video/1

Or here via espn

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ucie-walks-7th

Last edited by JustRalph; 07-13-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #22
kingfin66
Bombardier

Limited at bats in high A Florida State League, but yes, his BA and OBP are both good. It is hard to imagine why he was promoted off his poor performance int he Sally League. Wait, no it isn't. There are many fans in Florida who will want to buy his jersey. I am still not imagining him as a major league ball player.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #23
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Limited at bats in high A Florida State League, but yes, his BA and OBP are both good. It is hard to imagine why he was promoted off his poor performance int he Sally League. Wait, no it isn't. There are many fans in Florida who will want to buy his jersey. I am still not imagining him as a major league ball player.
I'm not either, but I gotta cheer for the guy.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #24
Valuist

What's most impressive? All three of his HRs at High A have been opposite field. Hitters who look to pull everything end up looking bad often.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #25
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Tebow batting .320

Hits a walk off homer tonight
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply