Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #31
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
I think El basco was 2nd in one those races,remember having the exacta that paid like $6
Sorry my memory failed me-3rd in Jersey Derby
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
I think El basco was 2nd in one those races,remember having the exacta that paid like $6
I could still be wrong because this isn't an official record, but I looked up his stakes races on Pedigree Query and it shows I Am The Game second in both. I do see El Basco's name a few times:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.p...akes&field=all
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #33
RoyalHeroine

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I was at Belmont standing just before the finish line that day. When he started coming again, I thought I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. When he just missed, my heart sunk. He just needed a couple more jumps. What a heart!

On the flip side, on the day he wired Affirmed, at the end of the race I was jumping into the arms of strangers.

Those crowds and those races were really eipc. It's the kind of stuff that makes getting older seem not so bad because you were around to witness it .

We should all be so lucky if this crop of 3yos (which IMO is excellent) gives us any thrills like that down the line.
Lucky guy to have been there!

That was a somewhat cold and drizzly day wasn't it? Do you remeber what the gate count was?

Great post up!

Who do you like, or perhaps, who are your top 3, this year?!?

My crystal ball says it has the potential to be epic!

Good luck and safe trips to all!
What is clear enough is that the Federal Reserve was established to remove the Constitution as the controlling agency in national monetary policy and to guarantee, instead, that certain special interest groups were disproportionately, in fact monopolistically represented in determining that policy, for the special benefit of those groups and at everybody else's expense.
- Dr. Edwin J. Vieira, Jr.
RoyalHeroine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #34
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHeroine
Who do you like, or perhaps, who are your top 3, this year?!?
It really depends on the prices, but right now I am leaning towards Dortmund. I think the CA group he beat wasn't anything special. I also don't like the way he's been running on the lead lately. I'd rather have seen him relax off it. But he's battled tested and I also think he's better than he looks on paper. In a few of his races he spent a lot of time on the rail on days I didn't think that was the best path. It takes a very good horse to do that.

American Pharoah may be the most talented and has been the most impressive visually, but as a clear favorite I'm willing to take a shot against him. I'm hoping he gets sucked into a fast pace or doesn't want 10F after pressure at this stage in his career. If he winds of being a great horse and kicks butt, so be it. That won't shock me.

I'm not sure what to do with Materiality. I think the racing in Florida was solid and I thought he ran a big race last out. But he's very inexperienced and his development so rapid, I have no idea what to expect out of him next, especially being a Pletcher horse coming out of Florida. If he gets ignored, I may use him defensively, but I don't think I could make him a key.

I have no special opinions on the rest of the "name" horses. Several clearly have a shot. I just don't have a hidden value oriented positive or negative insight.

The only totally under the radar horse I have an interest in is Frammento (if he gets in). I'm close to certain he wants 10F. I'm close to certain he's improving. I'm close to certain his last is better than it looks on paper. A lot of that is hidden. Despite all that, it's highly unlikely he's good enough to win. But I do think he could be good enough to maybe fill out a triple or super with a little help from the pace, a decent trip, and another step forward. If the race melts down, you never know.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 04-27-2015 at 08:07 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
American Pharoah may be the most talented
Still waiting for him to show it.
His last race was mildly interesting, but considering what he beat......

The horse has never shown me a hint of class.
He will not be on any of my tickets.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #36
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Still waiting for him to show it.
His last race was mildly interesting, but considering what he beat......

The horse has never shown me a hint of class.
He will not be on any of my tickets.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #37
QTwithTQ

Not that this is going to impact how I view Dortmund in this upcoming race, just thought I'd share a nice article detailing the backstory of him and his breeder

Undefeated Dortmund carries heavy memories of breeder's Ky Derby dream
QTwithTQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #38
Parson

He is impressive when you are close up

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dortmond.jpg (180.3 KB, 127 views)
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #39
Thunder Gulch

Thanks for the photos Parson.
Every shot I've seen of Dortmund is amazing. He just looks like a monster. Of course other oversized beauties include Rock Hard Ten and Point Given, and they weren't able to get there.
Thunder Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #40
Parson

He is by far the largest Derby horse I have ever seen. I thought Point Given was big, but he is bigger.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #41
Appy

AP has terrific propulsion, while Dortmund is the easiest strider in this field. Makes everything look so fluid and easy.
Gawd I love to watch horses run.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #42
jettroofer

Steve Byck commented this morning that while watchin Dotrmund work around the track, Danzig Moon came inside of him at a good clip. He was concerned that D would bite down and chase. He said he didn't even flinch, kept his cool and continued on with his business. That should be good to hear for those worried about him taking off after the burners. I don't think he had to have the lead and if AP runs a Bode and can't clear, he'll be there to pounce if they both are clean. I just can't see him hitting a wall.
jettroofer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #43
boys at tosconova

what i find interesting is that dorts only beat fire line 2x by a head and followed that up w/ beating prospect prk and bolo by <2L

his latest win was given to him as well on an uncontested soft lead

seattle slew...lol
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #44
jettroofer

All three of those horses Dortmund beat are better than anything AP has beaten this year. I think Dort is still finding his and working himself into those big feet. With that said, if he is still improving.....look out on Saturday. If I had only one tri key to play, it would be him. One can obviously not knock anything AP has done. He is the deserving fav. I really like watching the big guy run.
jettroofer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #45
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettroofer
All three of those horses Dortmund beat are better than anything AP has beaten this year. I think Dort is still finding his and working himself into those big feet. With that said, if he is still improving.....look out on Saturday. If I had only one tri key to play, it would be him. One can obviously not knock anything AP has done. He is the deserving fav. I really like watching the big guy run.
for the most part it doesn't matter who the winner of these prep races beats. it's how they beat them