Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

D.T. mentions needing an ID at the Grocery Store (also to vote). Chaos ensues

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 08-01-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Should ID be required to vote? Yes.

Was Trump referring to ID for an alcoholic product? No, but the spin was too predictable. He made a stupid statement.

Obama at one point claimed there were 52 or 53 states. That was stupid, too.

Why must Trump supporters reflexively defend everything Trump says, just as mostpost et al did with Obama? Can't you support Trump's policies and still admit he says a lot of stupid things?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post

Was Trump referring to ID for an alcoholic product? No, but the spin was too predictable. He made a stupid statement.

Why must Trump supporters reflexively defend everything Trump says, just as mostpost et al did with Obama? Can't you support Trump's policies and still admit he says a lot of stupid things?
I'm the first to admit he says a lot of stupid stuff. A lot. But, he's getting results and as long as he gets results he can say whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I'm the first to admit he says a lot of stupid stuff. A lot. But, he's getting results and as long as he gets results he can say whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.
Fair enough, but I'm concerned that you are not concerned very far.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Can't you support Trump's policies and still admit he says a lot of stupid things?
Of course - he DOES say a lot of stupid things.
Who gives a crap?
RESULTS, not words man something.

0bama said stupid things and then did stupider things!

I bet those democrat voters who can't possibly get a hold of ID could use the ID they have to get those 20 ouncers every day.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
boxcar

Quote:

It was NOT a stupid statement. An ID is needed at a supermarket for many different products besides alcohol. What about tobacco products? What about lottery tickets? And besides these there are certain over-the-counter drug items that now require ID to be purchased because those products can be used for illicit purposes. And often one needs ID to get a prescription filled at the pharmacy.

What is downright stupid, however, is that IDs are needed to live in this society, so why make a big deal about having one to vote/
Old 08-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
letswastemoney

Quote:

I don't think it was that stupid. He just needed to fill in the "to buy alcohol" part. He could have just simply missed it while intending to say it. No different than a typo.

What is stupid is people making a big deal out of this misstep. Any little mistake Trump makes is magnified by 100 because the media hates him.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
woodtoo

Quote:
Dumb question from dumb reporter. Period.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
mostpost

Quote:
There is good reason to require ID when someone purchases alcohol. In 2010 4,300 persons under the age of 21 died in alcohol related accidents. In the same year, 189,000 persons under the age of 21 went to the emergency room because of issues related to alcohol consumption. In 2016 7,300,000 persons between the ages of 12-20 self reported having consumed some alcohol in the past year.

There have been several studies of voter impersonation fraud, which is the only fraud that voter ID would address.

The Brennan Center puts the incidence of VIF between .0003% and .0025%.

The Washington Post studies elections between 2000 and 2014 and found 31 credible cases of voter impersonation fraud out of 1,000,000,000 votes cast. That is one case in every 32,258,064 votes cast.

Arizona State University found ten case between 2000 and 2012.

In a study of states where politicians argued that voter fraud was a "Pernicious" problem covering elections from 2012 to 2016, there was not a single successful prosecution.

The Heritage Foundation claimed that there were 1132 cases of voter fraud during the period from 2000 to 2016. A much larger number than any other study. But the Heritage Foundation included such things as forging signatures on registrations and petitions. For example, one woman who was paid based on the number of signatures she got for a candidate or an issue, simply forged several hundred signatures. A voter ID would not prevent that. Also, she was caught.

The Heritage Foundation study listed all the so called voter fraud cases. I went through several random pages and did not find a single instance of a person impersonating another person and voting in that person's place.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
I don't think it was that stupid. He just needed to fill in the "to buy alcohol" part. He could have just simply missed it while intending to say it. No different than a typo.

What is stupid is people making a big deal out of this misstep. Any little mistake Trump makes is magnified by 100 because the media hates him.
Yeah, it was stupid because you go to the grocery store to buy groceries and even if there are other things that you can get there-like alcohol-when you mention grocery store, people think of groceries. Not that Trump has ever gone to a grocery store in his adult life.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #11
mostpost

The problem with you people is you don't know the difference between voter fraud and election fraud. But don't feel bad because the Heritage Foundation doesn't know it either. Fortunately, you have me.

If I go to Canandaigua, New York and say that I am Tom and vote in his place, that is voter fraud. But it would be very stupid of me to do that because it changes exactly one vote and the penalty is quite severe. Also, if Tom has already voted, I could be detained on the spot. And since Tom has lived in the same town for at least as long as I have been on this forum, he is likely known at the polling place. Another example of voter fraud would be if I voted in more than one place. But that means I would have to be registered in more than one place. One of the things they check for is duplicate registrations. And just because you have two people with the same name at the same address does not mean there is fraud. One of my friends has a mother and an aunt with the same first name and middle initial. Of course they now have different last names, but at one time their names were the same. Providing false information on a voter registration form is voter fraud.

Pretty much anything else is election fraud. Registering voters without their knowledge by forging their names on registration forms is election fraud, not voter fraud. Filling out an absentee ballot for someone else is election fraud. Forging names on a petition is election fraud.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #12
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
The problem with you people is you don't know the difference between voter fraud and election fraud. But don't feel bad because the Heritage Foundation doesn't know it either. Fortunately, you have me.

If I go to Canandaigua, New York and say that I am Tom and vote in his place, that is voter fraud. But it would be very stupid of me to do that because it changes exactly one vote and the penalty is quite severe. Also, if Tom has already voted, I could be detained on the spot. And since Tom has lived in the same town for at least as long as I have been on this forum, he is likely known at the polling place. Another example of voter fraud would be if I voted in more than one place. But that means I would have to be registered in more than one place. One of the things they check for is duplicate registrations. And just because you have two people with the same name at the same address does not mean there is fraud. One of my friends has a mother and an aunt with the same first name and middle initial. Of course they now have different last names, but at one time their names were the same. Providing false information on a voter registration form is voter fraud.

Pretty much anything else is election fraud. Registering voters without their knowledge by forging their names on registration forms is election fraud, not voter fraud. Filling out an absentee ballot for someone else is election fraud. Forging names on a petition is election fraud.
So what would it be if you are a community organizer on a college campus signing up voter registrations and throwing all of them that checked republican in the trash can?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #13
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Yeah, it was stupid because you go to the grocery store to buy groceries and even if there are other things that you can get there-like alcohol-when you mention grocery store, people think of groceries. Not that Trump has ever gone to a grocery store in his adult life.
It wasn't hard to figure out what he really meant, and even if he meant groceries, I got the overall point.

You need ID for all sorts of things, so you likely carry it anyway.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #14
delayjf

At my grocery store, if you pay by check, you have to show ID. I have been in stores where they want to see an ID to use a credit card.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #15
Inner Dirt

I would assume that many of the so called impoverished that would supposedly be unable to vote if I.D. was required are on some sort of public assistance.
How are they getting that without I.D.?

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-02-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply