Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #16
Boomer

He did die on the field. He was revived.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

No, he didn't die...his heart stopped
Old 01-03-2023, 02:58 PM   #18
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I don't actually see a huge problem with this.

These are grown men playing a violent game and being paid a fortune for the privilege to do so.

There's nothing that can be done for this guy by the players on the field. Why not continue the game?

Is it going to be THAT MUCH different in the next days when they eventually resume the game? Is Damar going to be back on the sidelines? He may or may not even make it...

Are they going to cancel the season if he (God forbid) dies?

The whole thing is a little ridiculous.

Our society has become insanely soft.

If he died right there on the field, yeah, definitely cancel the game. But he didn't...unless the Bills were so broken up they couldn't carry on as a team (and that is highly unlikely given these guys are basically all narcissists anyway), they should have continued the game.

Was this Tucker's monologue last night?
Old 01-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Was this Tucker's monologue last night?
Nice comeback...but no

When did we become such pussies, by the way? That's my monologue
Old 01-03-2023, 03:34 PM   #20
Boomer

Quote:
Nice comeback...but no

When did we become such pussies, by the way? That's my monologue

I agree with your thought about us becoming a society of pussies, in general. In this case, maybe it was because I was watching the game live and I, like the players really thought he was dead or about to die, I believe they really could not play the game. Amazing that nobody came this close to death in a game before so there is no precedent.

Bringing it closer to horse racing, when a jock is killed on the track, I recall races are always cancelled for the day.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:38 PM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I just don't understand how cancelling or postponing the game does anything for the downed player.

Nobody can do anything for him. The best distraction would be to get out there and continue to play.

I think what I'm trying to say is, IF the NFL was the one pushing for them to play on, they don't deserve to be painted as demons IMO.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:26 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am sure the NFL was worried about $$$ and nothing more.Their record of player well being has never been good. F*** the NFL. and thier $$$.

It was clear the players had no intention of resuming play.
When you watch a guy you live with, work with, more than your family, for months, drop like that, gasping for breath, then getting CPR, then a defibrilator for 9 minutes, your priorities change.

Good for the players.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:43 PM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I am sure the NFL was worried about $$$ and nothing more.Their record of player well being has never been good. F*** the NFL. and thier $$$.

It was clear the players had no intention of resuming play.
When you watch a guy you live with, work with, more than your family, for months, drop like that, gasping for breath, then getting CPR, then a defibrilator for 9 minutes, your priorities change.

Good for the players.

I don't see how anyone cannot agree. I experienced the same thing in High School, 16 year old kid passed out while we were doing wind sprints at the end of practice, died the next day. Until you know what really happened it consumes you. It wasn't like you watched your buddy get hit by a bus or crash his motorcycle, it makes no damn sense. I am not going digging but in my memory following the NFL this is the second on field heart attack I think it was 40-50 years ago a wide receiver died in a game.

My teammate's death was attributed to organ failure caused by dehydration.

He was on prescription diet pills and water pills trying to drop weight for the soon coming wrestling season, that and unseasonable warmth was a bad combination. I could not imagine dieting during football season. If that didn't happen 45 years ago there would have been lawsuits galore.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You think players back in the 70s would have said let's postpone the game in exactly the same scenario?
Old 01-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:
You think players back in the 70s would have said let's postpone the game in exactly the same scenario?

I just used that as an example of where the players minds are at. There would not be one guy on the field that was focused on playing a football game. I looked up the only other time a player had a heart attack, in the NFL, 1071 the guy made his only catch of the year with 62 seconds left, they resumed the game. I think the right thing was done, those guys aren't robots. The only issue it is highly unlikely they can just cancel the game as it will mean something for Buffalo getting a bye and home field.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Could be I'm just a cold-blooded sonofabitch....who knows...
Old 01-04-2023, 08:24 AM   #27
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

No, but I think you're a tiny minority. The rest of the game could have become a sham with 55 minutes of unfocused activity.

I'm still looking for how the rest of the season plays out, or how this game is handled. I think I would be all right with calling it a 0 - 0 tie; no idea how that would affect all the seeding still to be determined. If replayed, from the start or from 7-3?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
No, but I think you're a tiny minority. The rest of the game could have become a sham with 55 minutes of unfocused activity.

I'm still looking for how the rest of the season plays out, or how this game is handled. I think I would be all right with calling it a 0 - 0 tie; no idea how that would affect all the seeding still to be determined. If replayed, from the start or from 7-3?

I think they are hoping somehow the game will be meaningless and they can just cancel it. I doubt that will be the case with Buffalo due to a tie with KC record wise would give them a first round bye and home field. KC plays the Raiders and Buffalo the Patriots. If Cincinnati beats Baltimore they are locked in, if they lose the Buffalo game means something to them also. With home field in the AFC most likely on the line I don't think they can just call it a tie or a no contest. If they play the game they would have to extend the season, I would think.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #29
lamboguy

when i played in high school a similar thing happened on the field and the end result was no good. we played against a town Swampscott. they had an all-American quarterback on their squad that many might have heard of before, Dick Jauron. a kid went down on the field and they didn't have the equipment they have today and the poor kid's heart stopped. this happened in the 3rd quarter. our coach started praying for the kid and the rest of the team did as well. the game never resumed and we went back on the bus and kept praying all the way home. the following week we had meetings and more prayers.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2023, 11:37 AM   #30
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
when i played in high school a similar thing happened on the field and the end result was no good. we played against a town Swampscott. they had an all-American quarterback on their squad that many might have heard of before, Dick Jauron. a kid went down on the field and they didn't have the equipment they have today and the poor kid's heart stopped. this happened in the 3rd quarter. our coach started praying for the kid and the rest of the team did as well. the game never resumed and we went back on the bus and kept praying all the way home. the following week we had meetings and more prayers.

We laid our teammate to rest in the morning and played a game that night. It definitely was a mix of emotions, we beat the snot out of our cross town rival 40-3. I did some research since you mentioned not having proper medical equipment on site.

All the varsity football games in our district had an ambulance parked usually on the running track on standby. That was 1975-1978. It looks to this day there still aren't any blanket regulations on medical personnel at High School football games, that is odd.