Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
CincyHorseplayer

Isn't the general stupidity of this revealed within Chicago? Let's tighten the gun control laws but not allow police to enforce those laws.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Why?

Seriously? Black on black crime, a taboo subject with liberals.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Seriously? Black on black crime, a taboo subject with liberals.
Why did you choose to go down that route?? It wasn't part of discussion not even close....

Last edited by jms62; 10-05-2017 at 12:13 PM.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
Valuist

Quote:
Why did you choose to go down that route?? It wasn't part of discussion not even close....
You asked him a question and he gave you an answer. If you can't handle a possible answer, don't ask the question.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
You asked him a question and he gave you an answer. If you can't handle a possible answer, don't ask the question.
And you are interjecting here because?
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #21
Clocker

Quote:
And you are interjecting here because?
Yes, he is.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #22
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Thask, I think you might be, uncharacteristically, a bit off on this one.

9/27/17: Springfield homeowner shoots intruder

9/27/17: Gaston Co. woman grabs gun, chases away burglars

9/26/17: Would-be robber fatally shot after forcing family into basement

9/26/17: Homeowner hold Verona man at gunpoint

9/25/17: Woman shoots ex-boyfriend in self-defense as he tries to break into apartment

9/25/17: Homeowner shoots burglary suspect dressed as woman

9/22/17: Homeowner holds wanted man at gunpoint until police arrive

9/22/17: Man shot during attempted burglary

9/15/2917: Homeowner shoots at intruder during home invasion

9/15/2017: Intruder kicks in wrong door, gets shot

9/18/17: Homeowner fatally shoots man in self-defense

9/13/17: Homeowner shoots suspect beating elderly woman with baseball bat

9/12/17: Mom with gun chases intruder she found near teen daughter with special needs

9/12-17: Felon fatally shot while breaking into rural Idaho home

I've just scratched the surface, but I'm getting tired of typing. I will just point out that it's understandable that Michael Moore misses all these stories, since only local media report them. National mainstream media avoid them like the plague.

Mule
Here's my point, Mule. A gun kept in a drawer at home is only "protective" if an intruder is breaking in while the homeowner is at home and awake. It's been my experience that the criminals are seldom so "accommodating". I don't care how many links you present to me...I am prepared to bet my bottom dollar that, in the vast majority of the cases, the victim is attacked when he is out of the house...or when he returns home and the intruder is already there. And in those cases...the gun in the drawer is a small consolation, and I don't see that as "adequate protection".

When I read that the citizen has the "right to bear arms"...I perceive this to mean that the citizen has the right to ARM himself. And he can only "arm himself" when he carries the gun WITH him. That's the only sort of "protection" that appeals to me...the "illegality" of it notwithstanding.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-05-2017 at 01:28 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Here's my point, Mule. A gun kept in a drawer at home is only "protective" if an intruder is breaking in while the homeowner is at home and awake. It's been my experience that the criminals are seldom so "accommodating". I don't care how many links you present to me...I am prepared to bet my bottom dollar that, in the vast majority of the cases, the victim is attacked when he is out of the house...or when he returns home and the intruder is already there. And in those cases...the gun in the drawer is a small consolation, and I don't see that as "adequate protection".

When I read that the citizen has the "right to bear arms"...I perceive this to mean that the citizen has the right to ARM himself. And he can only "arm himself" when he carries the gun WITH him. That's the only sort of "protection" that appeals to me...the "illegality" of it notwithstanding.
Fair enough, but Michael Moore (according to Clocker's post) wants ALL guns to be stored in government-approved facilities (after passage of his 28th Amendment repealing the 2nd), including yours, so presumably you're not agreeing with at least that part of his position.

Actually, you sort of remind me of a fellow at my gun range. Asked why he never bothered to get a Texas concealed carry license, he calmly replied, "The 2nd Amendment is my concealed carry license." I can respect that.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #24
Clocker

Quote:

Good one!

I agree in principle, but find concealed carry impractical when traveling and a pain in hot weather. I compromise by having a weapon handy in my vehicle. For the way I live, I find that to be safe.

That and a tactical knife with a 4" blade at all times, and a small can of pepper spray when appropriate.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Clocker

Quote:
The day after his proposed 28th Amendment passed, is there any doubt that Moore would be demanding a ban on all bolt-action hunting rifles? After all, that's what military sharpshooters use, and no civilian needs a high-powered sniper rifle.
That would come later. Given the standard liberal theology, the next step would be to ban all hand guns.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #26
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
That would come later. Given the standard liberal theology, the next step would be to ban all hand guns.
To which the reply should be -- I know Thask in particular should appreciate the Greek -- "Molon labe."
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #27
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
That and a tactical knife with a 4" blade at all times, and a small can of pepper spray when appropriate.
So you've been to PA racetrack get-togethers?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
thaskalos

Quote:
To which the reply should be -- I know Thask in particular should appreciate the Greek -- "Molon labe."
Very appropriate reply for Mr. Moore...or anyone else of his persuasion.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #29
Clocker

Quote:
Very appropriate reply for Mr. Moore...or anyone else of his persuasion.
Those folks already have enough trouble comprehending 18th Century English.

Last edited by Clocker; 10-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #30
Clocker

The NRA has stolen a march on the gun grabbers and requested that the feds take another look at bump stocks.

The ATF under Obama ruled that bump stocks were legal under current law and needed no further regulation. The NRA seems to be implying that it would not object to some additional regulation of bump stocks under current law.

Suspicious minds suggest that such regulation would eliminate the need for legislation to regulate bump stocks, along with all the other unrelated registration libs would try to hang on such a bill, and the NRA is trying to eliminate any additional legislation before it gets started.