Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #766
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I don't think anyone here disputes that man is putting CO2 into the atmosphere and we should make a reasonable effort to limit it, and pollutants. Where we differ is how significant our contribution is and whether we can do anything about the overall picture. IMO we should not twist ourselves into knots trying to fix something that we have very little or no control over, and it may not even need fixing in the first place.
Tom and many others are disputing it.

I posted a few times that it is becoming critical and reaching a "tipping point" when we will experience runaway climate change. Reversing it will become almost impossible.

Tipping points in the climate system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippin...climate_system

A tipping point in the climate system is a threshold that, when exceeded, can lead to large changes in the state of the system. Potential tipping points have been identified in the physical climate system, in impacted ecosystems, and sometimes in both.[1] For instance, feedback from the global carbon cycle is a driver for the transition between glacial and interglacial periods, with orbital forcing providing the initial trigger.[2] Earth's geologic temperature record includes many more examples of geologically rapid transitions between different climate states.[3]
Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #767
hcap

I posted this earlier. Beyond Carbon.

Moving the United States toward a 100% clean energy economy

https://www.beyondcarbon.org/?utm_me...n_BeyondCarbon

A lot can be done to stem the trend. But the problem has to be recognized firast
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #768
incoming

I think your opinion is reasonable and also agrees with the Oregon Petition. A petition where 99.95% agreed that there wasn't an alarming situation at hand, over 31,000 scientist signed the petition. They agreed that the science had been hijacked for a political agenda.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #769
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I think your opinion is reasonable and also agrees with the Oregon Petition. A petition where 99.95% agreed that there wasn't an alarming situation at hand, over 31,000 scientist signed the petition. They agreed that the science had been hijacked for a political agenda. https://youtu.be/eiPIvH49X-E
This is a bogus "project". I already explained why many times.

No it does not agree with my opinion, or the consensus,... that it is indeed an alarming situation.

Last edited by hcap; 07-09-2019 at 02:49 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2019, 05:22 AM   #770
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
This is a bogus "project". I already explained why many times.

No it does not agree with my opinion, or the consensus,... that it is indeed an alarming situation.
I debunked the Oregon Petition in 630 and 631
Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #771
hcap

More on the casrbon cycle and the oceans.

From MIT.....

‘Completely terrifying’: Study warns carbon-saturated oceans headed toward tipping point that could unleash mass extinction event

Carbon dioxide emissions may trigger a reflex in the carbon cycle, with devastating consequences, study finds.

The continuous accumulation of carbon dioxide in the planet’s oceans—which shows no sign of stopping due to humanity’s relentless consumption of fossil fuels—is likely to trigger a chemical reaction in Earth’s carbon cycle similar to those which happened just before mass extinction events, according to a new study.

MIT geophysics professor Daniel Rothman released new data on Monday showing that carbon levels today could be fast approaching a tipping point threshold that could trigger extreme ocean acidification similar to the kind that contributed to the Permian–Triassic mass extinction that occurred about 250 million years ago.

https://news.mit.edu/2019/carbon-thr...xtinction-0708
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #772
xtb

Quote:
Tom and many others are disputing it.

[3]
Tom and many others are disputing that humans are putting a significant amount of CO2 into the atmosphere.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #773
xtb

Quote:
More on the casrbon cycle and the oceans.

From MIT.....

‘Completely terrifying’: Study warns carbon-saturated oceans headed toward tipping point that could unleash mass extinction event

Carbon dioxide emissions may trigger a reflex in the carbon cycle, with devastating consequences, study finds.

The continuous accumulation of carbon dioxide in the planet’s oceans—which shows no sign of stopping due to humanity’s relentless consumption of fossil fuels—is likely to trigger a chemical reaction in Earth’s carbon cycle similar to those which happened just before mass extinction events, according to a new study.

MIT geophysics professor Daniel Rothman released new data on Monday showing that carbon levels today could be fast approaching a tipping point threshold that could trigger extreme ocean acidification similar to the kind that contributed to the Permian–Triassic mass extinction that occurred about 250 million years ago.

https://news.mit.edu/2019/carbon-thr...xtinction-0708
So now we are responsible for putting CO2 into the oceans? It's not possible that it's the CO2 from the planet that is constantly absorbed and reabsorbed into the oceans?

How about the venting from the Earth's crust into the oceans that dwarfs anything humans could possibly do?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #774
hcap

Quote:
Tom and many others are disputing that humans are putting a significant amount of CO2 into the atmosphere.
You
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb
I don't think anyone here disputes that man is putting CO2 into the atmosphere and we should make a reasonable effort to limit it, and pollutants. Where we differ is how significant our contribution is and whether we can do anything about the overall picture. IMO we should not twist ourselves into knots trying to fix something that we have very little or no control over, and it may not even need fixing in the first place.
What is significant? I posted recently that qworld's mainstream scientific community is aware of possibly reaching a "tipping point", where runaway climate change could not be reversed. I also popsted a few times about Mike Bloomberg's "Beyond Carbon" a major approach to prevent reaching that tipping point
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #775
hcap

Quote:
So now we are responsible for putting CO2 into the oceans? It's not possible that it's the CO2 from the planet that is constantly absorbed and reabsorbed into the oceans?

How about the venting from the Earth's crust into the oceans that dwarfs anything humans could possibly do?
I have already answered. Incoming brought up undersea volcanos Humans ARE responsible for 10-12 times as much carbon than ALL natural sources. Why and what do you think the 97% scientific consensus is about?

Just that
Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #776
xtb

Quote:
You What is significant? I posted recently that qworld's mainstream scientific community is aware of possibly reaching a "tipping point", where runaway climate change could not be reversed. I also popsted a few times about Mike Bloomberg's "Beyond Carbon" a major approach to prevent reaching that tipping point
Of course "me", I thought it was obvious.

Theories and blogs don't impress me much.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #777
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I wonder if hcap shut his mouth for a couple of days, the hot air would go away?
Old 07-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #778
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I wonder if hcap shut his mouth for a couple of days, the hot air would go away?
Maybe if I only shut my eyes, you would go away. And take your two Bens with you.?
Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #779
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
How would he pass gas?
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #780
hcap

Quote:
Of course "me", I thought it was obvious.

Theories and blogs don't impress me much.
Main sources of carbon dioxide emissions
https://www.che-project.eu/news/main...xide-emissions

There are both natural and human sources of carbon dioxide emissions. Natural sources include decomposition, ocean release and respiration. Human sources come from activities like cement production, deforestation as well as the burning of fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas.

Due to human activities, the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide has been rising extensively since the Industrial Revolution and has now reached dangerous levels not seen in the last 3 million years.1 2 3 Human sources of carbon dioxide emissions are much smaller than natural emissions but they have upset the natural balance that existed for many thousands of years before the influence of humans.

This is because natural sinks remove around the same quantity of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere than are produced by natural sources.4 This had kept carbon dioxide levels balanced and in a safe range. But human sources of emissions have upset the natural balance by adding extra carbon dioxide to the atmosphere without removing any