Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
Scanman

Australia Bush / Picnic Races

During this period of isolation, I thought I would share some of the uniqe racing experiences throughout the world. It seems many on the board are drawn to Australian racing, so I figured I'd start there. Each day I will try to post 5 video links to Aussie bush / picnic races. I'm going to start with tracks I had the chance to visit. Here goes:

Crookwell and District (NSW) -
The track is about 3 hours southwest of Sydney, that only gets one day a year. It's a horse-shoed layout that has no "clubhouse turn" leading to the backstretch. You'll see how they run into a field after the race.

Yass (NSW) -
The track is about 3 hours southwest of Sydney, that only gets one day a year. It's an oval with a stiff uphill finish. Since my visit, it looks like they added a mirror at the finish line to help with photos.

Gilgandra (NSW) -
(race starts about 6 seconds in)
The track is a little over 5 hours northwest of Sydney, that usually gets around 8 days a year. It's a pretty flat oval. Notice the golfers having a game in the infield stopping to watch the race.

Mareeba (QLD) -
The track is about 20 hours north of Brisbane, but we were staying in Townsville at the time, so it was only about a 4 1/2 hour drive. Recently, they've only received 2 race days a year. The track is pretty flat, but is more of a circle than an oval.

Chinchilla (QLD) -
The track is 3 1/2 hours west of Brisbane that gets 4 days a year. The track is a standard oval. Enjoy the call of this race. One horse's name in particular. Don't think it would have gotten through here.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
RunForTheRoses

Nice!

It seems there is not a horse shortage there like there is in North America.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Scanman

Have a couple more from NSW, then down to Victoria. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any clips from Mallawa (which is very similar to Crookwell) or Gulgong. Here is today's installment.

Moree (NSW) -
The track is a little over 7 hours north of Sydney. It's an oval, but the far turn is more of an small straight between the backstretch and homestretch. They get around a dozen dates a year, but still host picnic level meetings.

Quinindi (NSW) -
The track is about 5 hours north of Sydney. It's triangular shaped with a significant rise from the 1400 meter mark to the 400. It's one of the few track that I've been to that has a downhill homestretch. They would be a small step up from the picnics that gets between 8-12 days a year.

Dederang (VIC) -
The track is about 3 1/2 hours northeast of Melbourne. It's an oval with a much longer first turn than far turn, not quite pear-shaped, but close. It's all uphill from the 1600 meter mark to around the 1300 mark. The 1000 meter races are all downhill when coming out of the far turn it's a stiff uphill finish. They only get one day a year.

Hinnomunjie (VIC) -
The track is 5 hours east of Melbourne and is in the bush in every sense of the word. The last 1 1/2 hour was particularly harrowing; narrow, winding two-lane road. Tough enough during the daytime, I couldn't imagine doing it at night when the 'roos and wombats come out. I'm not looking forward to driving it again to visit Swifts Creek, though the drive is not as far. It's kind of box-shaped and very similar to Dederang in regards to the uphill natrue from the 1800 meter mark to the 1200; downhill from the 800 with only a 200 meter stretch. Only one day a year there.

Woolamai (VIC) -
The track is just a short 1 1/2 hour from Melbourne towards the south coast. It's a mainstay of the picnic circuit. A very typical oval layout with a slight rise up the homestretch and decline down the backstretch. The most unique feature is the 1000 meter chute (the clip is from there). It's a 600 meter run from the start to the apex of the home turn. They get 5 days a year.

Last edited by Scanman; 03-25-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
Scanman

Got sidetracted the last couple of days. Here's a few more from Victoria:

Balnarring -
The track is an hour south of Melbourne. Another oval, though the first turn is more of a mini-straight. It's pretty flat, with a slight rise through the stretch. They get 5 to 6 days a year.

Drouin -
The track is slightly over an hour to the east of Melbourne. It's kind of pair-shaped with a long, sweeping far turn. Fairly undulating, the rises are up and through both turns with downhill runs down the backstretch and homestretch. The sight lines are not great because the track runs right through Drouin Golf and Country Club; 6 holes are played through the infield. They only get one day a year, always on December 26th, and features Australia's only female racecaller, Victoria Shaw.

Mansfield -
The track is two and half hours northeast of Melbourne, well into the bush. It's an oblong shape with a chute going through the first turn to allow for 1200 meter races. It's pretty flat throughout and gets two days a year.

Hanging Rock -
The track is an hour north of Melbourne. It's a standard oval, with an uphill backstretch and downhill homestretch. It's sits right below the volcanic rock formation whereby it gets its name. It also is located next to kangaroo reserve. The day I visited, a 'roo that had been in the infield, woke up and started hopping throughout the infield. The outriders eventually were able to get it off the course. This track is must see if you ever get to that part of Victoria during January. They only get two days a year.

Colac -
The track is two hours southwest of Melbourne. It's ovalish with a longer first turn and much tighter, downhill far turn. The most unique feature of this track is the stiff uphill rise in the backstretch from the 1200 to the 800 meter mark. Downhill from the 800 and then around a rather sharp turn as they hit the top of the stretch. A course walk on a non-raceday would be a bonus. They get three days a year.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Scanman

Not sure if there is much interest in this thread, but I'll throw up 5 more. These are tracks that I haven't been to (hopefully someday). They are well and truly in the bush.

Landor (WA) -
The track is 13 hours north of Perth. It's a circle with 4 different chutes for the various distances. No starting gate there, but the outriders do a pretty good job getting them off to a pretty level start. They get two days a year.

Tennant Creek (NT) -
The track is 10 hours south of Darwin. It has an oblong shape whereby the first turn is more of a mini-straight. Only one day a year.

Ceduna (SA) -
The track is a little over 8 hours northwest of Adelaide. It's a standard oval that looks like it has a downhill backstretch with an uphill finish. They get two days a year.

Broken Hill (NSW) -
(race starts about 2 minutes in)
The track is 13 hours west of Sydney. It's egg shaped. Only the homestretch is straight. They get two days a year.

Mount Isa (QLD) -
The track is 20 hours northwest of Brisbane. A standard oval with only one chute at the top of the backstretch. This must be the epicenter of bush racing in western Queenland. They get betwee 12-16 days a year.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Hambletonian

I love these videos, great to see all these interesting tracks.

Thanks for posting!
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
I love these videos, great to see all these interesting tracks.

Thanks for posting!
Many thanks Hambo. I'll keep them coming.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
alydar

These are great to watch! Thanks
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
spang99

Good stuff, thank you. Saw a runner last night named " Alberts no Pussy" in the program at Newcastle I believe. A double take was required.
spang99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #10
Scanman

Thanks Alydar and Spang99. For Spang99 - Yes, you are correct. Albert's No Pussy ran 15th of 16 in the 11th race at Newcastle yesterday. He's not a bad horse; 5 wins in 17 starts and has earned AUS$105K.

Alright, here today's tracks. I will try again to pick one track from each state/territory.

Wean (NSW) -
The track is 5 1/2 hours north of Sydney. It's a standard oval. Interesting to see that this one does not have an inside rail until the 500 meter mark to the finish. At least they had a starting gate. They only get one day each year.

Cunnamulla (QLD) -
The track is 9 hours west of Brisbane. It's square shaped with a little bit of a bend in the first turn. For out in the bush, this looks like a pretty well maintained track. They get four days a year.

Adelaide River (NT) -
The track is a little over an hour south of Darwin. It most unique charactaristic is that it is the only grass track in the Northern Territory.

Roebourne (WA) -
(race is about 10 seconds in)
The track is 16 hours north of Perth. A standard oval that looks to be pretty well maintained for a track that only gets three days a year.

Kangaroo Island (SA) -
The track is 4 hours southwest of Adelaide. It's one of two tracks in Australia that are located on an island (not counting Tasmania). Another track that appears to be in excellent condition that just gets three days a year. It's triangular shaped with a very sharp first turn, long back stretch, short 300 meter homestretch.

Last edited by Scanman; 03-31-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #11
Scanman

Took a few days to play golf. Thankfully, FL still allows it as an outdoor recreational activity.

I'm finding that many of the small ones don't have any video available. With that, I'll try to tackle Western Australia and work my way east.

Broome -
The track is 24 hours northeast of Perth and 19 hours west of Darwin. It may be the most remote track in Oz. Though, by looking at the video, it could be mistaken for any US track. It's a standand oval measuring 1800 meters in circumference. They race 9 times a year.

Port Hedland -
The track is 18 hours north of Perth. It's oblong shaped with a tight first turn. It has a dual 1600 meter surface, with 300 meters of grass from the top of the stretch that extends for another 400 meters around the first turn. Then, it's dirt for the entire backstretch unti the top of the stretch. The get 6 to 7 days a year.

Carnarvon -
The track is a little over 9 hours north of Perth. When I was stationed in Exmouth, Carnarvon (4 hours away) was the first significant town on the way to Perth. I was able to visit this triangular shaped track during my tour there. You will notice very little kickback for a sand track out in the bush. That's because it is treated with sump oil to bind the sand. Sump oil is also used on bush golf course greens to enable putting. Played one round on the stuff when I was in Exmouth. Vowed never to do it again. Finished smelling like I just changed the oil in my car. Okay, back on track, Carnarvon also boast of having the largest track in Western Australia measuring 3000 meters. They generally get 8 to 12 days a year.

Can't find anymore "bush" tracks that have video, so will show some of the smaller, provincial tracks as we get closer to Perth.

Kalgoorie -
The track is 6 1/2 hours east of Perth. It's a square shaped, all grass track, measuring around 2000 meters. It's a provincial track whose town's claim to fame was the Kalgoorie-Coolgarie gold rush in the 1890's. During their season, November to March, they run 3 times a month.

Esperance -
The track is 7 1/2 hours southeast of Perth. Another standard grass oval measuring 1900 meters. It's also a south coast provincial track that gets 11-12 days during their summer season.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #12
Scanman

A few more from Western Australia.

Norseman -
Back to the bush for this one, a full day's racing in this clip. The track is about 8 hours east of Perth. A typical 1600 meter oval that appears to be very undulating; uphill from the 1400 to the 1000, the down hill from the 800 till the top of the lane with a steady incline to the finish. Only one day a year for them.

Pingrup -
The track is a little over 4 hours southeast of Perth. It's a 1400 meter oblong with a big sweeping first turn, with a tight turn before they then turn for home. Another track that only races once a year.

Kojonup -
The clip is more of a "day a the races', but a little bit of racing at the 2:20 mark and the 4:35 mark. The track is 3 hours south of Perth. Another oblong shaped 1600 meter track. First turn is normal, then leaving the backstretch there is an angled straight, leading to a very tight final turn before the homestretch. Just one day of racing each year.

Mount Barker -
The track is 4 hours south of Perth. It's a 1700 meter grass oval that would be considered a provincial racecourse. The get five days a year.

Albany -
The track is 5 hours south of Perth and is the southernmost racecourse in Western Australia. It's a very standard 1600 meter grass oval. It is another provincial racecourse that gets 15-16 days a year.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:10 AM   #13
steveb

steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #14
theiman

Scanman, thanks for the wonderful videos.

I have been to Australia twice and have only seen the Majors. Seeing the minors has been fun.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #15
Waquoit

During our trip to New Zealand in 2017 we were able visit a modest track named Te Aroha, about a half-hour from Hamilton. They had cattle grazing in the infield while the races were going on. The early P4 there is called "The Big Quaddie".
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply