Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: Where do you want your horse positioned?
Poll Options
Where do you want your horse positioned?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Underneath the jockey for the duration of the race....

I hate deep closers. Anwhere else is fine depending on how the race is being run.
Agreed. Every aspect of the race has to go right for them to win; pace, trip,

and timing by the jockey.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #17
markgoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Underneath the jockey for the duration of the race....
Reminds me of the story of the outspoken jockey great of the past, Willie Hartack.

Seems one day Hartack is riding a horse that the trainer is very enthusiastic about. He tells Hartack how the lines on the pp are misleading and how much better the horse will be today. After that, he gives Hartack a detailed set of instructions on how to ride the horse.

Hartack says nothing; the race goes off and the horse finishes well back in the field. When Hartack brings the horse back from the track, the trainer rushes up screaming at him-

"I told you to lay off the early speed and make your move midway around the last turn!!"

Hartack looks at him with the deadpan face and says, "Well I was gonna do that... I planned to do that... But then I decided it was better to stay with the horse."

I might have told that one before, but it always makes me laugh.
markgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Agreed. Every aspect of the race has to go right for them to win; pace, trip,

and timing by the jockey.
Perhaps I should qualify that though. Deep closers are great for playing underneath. They get overbet on the win end, but they do have value underneath and often do get there. Some are the exacta players' best friends.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

You forgot, in your poll:

Where the horse's preferred running style puts him.

or

At the correct position dictated by the pace of the race. (this varies with individual horses, "one size does not fit all" in this game)

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #20
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo

or

At the correct position dictated by the pace of the race. (this varies with individual horses, "one size does not fit all" in this game)
I agree.... I certainly don't want my lone closer in a field of speed balls dueling up front!Or my lone speed getting tucking in behind the field!Their are times when a preferred running style is winning more at certain tracks i try to pass races where the best horse is at a disadvantage to the running style that is winning that day or week.They can beat your horse with the preferred running style just because of the edge they have in class,speed or ability.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Investorater

In regard to running styles, the key is to watch races or study charts closely,

in order to determine a possible track bias. (which could change overnight)

And to make a judgement call on a current bias, if any.
Investorater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
Tape Reader

As a tote board player, I usualy have no idea of the running style of my bet. However, I seem to do much better when my horse breaks alertly, regardless of how she/he settles in.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #23
dansan

how does somebody make moneyfrom just watching the tote board
dansan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansan
how does somebody make moneyfrom just watching the tote board
By accepting the fact that I don't know, what I don't know. Too many variables in PP analysis.

I am just a casual player and only visit Saratoga as a family event, but I'm in the black for the last three years.

I only bet prices and box triples.

One of my favorite conditions, with some simple discriminators is: < the ML at approximately 10 MTP, regardless of final odds.

Last edited by Tape Reader; 10-17-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo

or

Good answer. I'm surprised there weren't more responses on this path.

A horse's pace doesn't dictate the pace of the field. The pace of the field dictates the winner of the race.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #26
Trotman
Veteran

Raybo you are so right. Many times when some one has asked me who I like in the race my answer will be this horse or that horse fits the probable pace of the race and in many cases the comeback will be ya so who do you like
which tells me this fellow didn't understand. To go on explaining the importance of where the horse or horse's will be comfortable in the pace scenario is an answer for another day.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Yeah, I think the vast majority of players just don't realize that a couple of fifths of a second, prior to the stretch, can really kill a horse's chance of scoring, at least in races below the top echelon of horses, which is the majority of races.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Trotman
Veteran

I remember Frankie Merrill one of the great trainers of days gone by telling me what he says to the jockey before giving him a leg up and that was I've done my job now don't mess it up. Put the horse in a position to win on or pressing the lead. Any rider who thought the one big run at the end was going to endear him to Frank was oh so wrong and didn't ride for him again.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #29
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiken
So you spent a fair amount of time isolating your main contender and are getting decent odds.

What running style do you want to see your horse to display today? How should it distribute its energy?
The DRF once published that 60% of all races are won by frontrunners: and if that is true (and my horse has that running style) that is where I would want it to be in the race.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #30
salty
undefined

Well this isn't a really good poll idea since all races are different. But i know where everyone would like their horse positioned........ right in the middle of the winners circle.