Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-08-2024, 03:41 PM   #1
Robert Fischer
clean money

Lightbulb ANTHONY JOSHUA VS FRANCIS NGANNOU and the Deep-Water Furnace

I'm hearing post time is about 6pm US eastern time tonight

AJ = the favorite. A case can be made for a huge class edge, specifically if boxing experience is leaned upon.

Francis Ngannou is about a +200 or so underdog. I think first you ask whether or not you can see and understand boxing and these couple of boxers.
Then, one simple beginning is to go back the preceding question; "Is the 'huge class edge' thing true and significant here??

That is what is driving the market. Also the basics of what Teddy Atlas is weighing back and forth in the video.

Ngannou shocked me. I hadn't watched any ufc/mma footage, and I just assumed he would be somewhere between a complete joke and a solid fighter. This guy is a world class athlete, and he's disciplined.

We've seen Joshua drown in deep waters in a few of his fights. The Usyk fights 1&2 were examples of the classic type; A skilled boxer (in this case the relatively undersized Usyk) applies strategy in a cumulative effect.

Different / rare version of the deep-water-effect possible tonight.
AJ comes out thinking he's the one applying the strategy... moving about... The jab... control of distance... timing... ring generalship...

Joshua must be willing to win a unanimous decision in a finesse style. He's unlikely to hurt Ngannou unless he digs in. If Joshua goes toe to toe it's a little bit riskier. (Anthony Joshua by Decision or Technical Decision +265 long shot is one step in that direction if you feel the same way).
Kind of surprised that the Anthony Joshua by KO/TKO/DQ is a much different offering as the -120! favorite and one would assume correlates to value discussions within the overall line. - I think the weight of a line like that is simply Favorite of a heavyweight fight means KO/power to the narrative and is true most of the time.

That's the point of what is unusual about this deep-water effect. Joshua hits this guy and he doesn't move. Then he finds out quickly if he isn't fighting defensively that Ngannou will be perfectly happy to trade punches.
It becomes a psychological thing... Does AJ stick to safety in the Finesse style that the betting public/prop-offerings don't believe is the narrative of the fight. The narrative is AJ=CLASS!=KNOCKOUT/TKO...

Is that (style/perception/machismo) even important whatsoever to AJ, or assuming that I'm on right path; Is AJ willing and disciplined enough to win 7 rounds on points?
Old 03-08-2024, 07:05 PM   #2
PalaceOfFortLarned

Really nice fight for a Friday night.

Winner getting a shot at Fury IF he ever boxes and beats Usyk.

Either way the MMA fighter in his 2nd career boxing match takes on another top end Heavyweight. He was able to knock down Fury, and lost in a controversial decision.

I doubt Joshua takes him lightly. Wouldn't mind watching, but not paying $40 clams to watch.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2024, 07:10 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

- I wouldn't use the following link without a blocker

https://olympicstreams.me/live-skysp...ysports-stream
Old 03-08-2024, 08:06 PM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

Why you don't pay.

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
yup!
wow, that was quick
Old 03-09-2024, 09:55 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

I wonder why people are coughing up PPV money to watch someone fight way over their head, due to an extreme lack of experience? A boxer that looks to have a future as a pro from a decent amateur career is brought along slowly for a reason. I only saw 10 seconds of this fight. Ngannou looked to have the trifecta of a weak chin, poor footwork, and poor defense. Has anyone ever taking up boxing late in an athletic career and been a success?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2024, 07:56 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I wonder why people are coughing up PPV money to watch someone fight way over their head, due to an extreme lack of experience? A boxer that looks to have a future as a pro from a decent amateur career is brought along slowly for a reason. I only saw 10 seconds of this fight. Ngannou looked to have the trifecta of a weak chin, poor footwork, and poor defense. Has anyone ever taking up boxing late in an athletic career and been a success?
He earned Thirty Million, and knocked down Tyson Fury within a year-and-a-half timeframe of his official boxing-dedicated career move.

That isn't exactly 'winning', but it's still pretty damn successful.

Can't blame those who purchased or bet the fight. We had information and an event. Ngannou had shown a hint at capabilities vs. Fury.

If you bet Ngannou to win; that's a bit silly, or if you had bet something that relied heavily on leveraging high% results (even if you had bet Joshua to win).

Betting a little to win a little would be pretty harmless on either fighter, but if it was on Ngannou, you would hopefully be receiving a great prize, or it simply wouldn't be worth taking the underdog.

Technically, it's cheating because Ngannou started in boxing initially, but crossed-over to MMA due to opportunity (rather than vice versa). He's still 37 or whatever past his prime, and forever the sort to the impactful raw talents of a young player..., mean joe Green(e)