Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Stable Betting--a thing of the past?

Someone...I don't remember who--recently made a statement here that --since fields are smaLL and purses have gotten larger--that stable betting is largely a thing of the past. Most all races are on the "up and up".

I got a good chuckle out of that comment. I happened to spot a horse @ EVD...a track where the wagering doesn't seem all that sophisticated....maybe the sharpies don't bother much with EVD.

This horse-- 6th race GOOD GOSH GENE 15-1 ML---showed NOTHING in his last 5 races to indicate today was the day. Sometimes I get lucky and spot these--I'm no sharper than the next guy. I am a student of running lines---and could see GENE'S past running lines had an unnatural look.

I don't believe this horse had even beaten half the field last-5. His lowest odds were 18-1...highest was 85-1.

GENE won his race today---and paid a whopping 8 bucks. If you go over this horse with a fine tooth comb--he had good pace and speed numbers--against an incredibly weak field.

Still...it's blatantly obvious this was "inside" wagering. The betting public does not look at running lines...especially the EVD crowd.

I was hoping for a $20.00+ payoff . Maybe I'm whining a little bit here--but note that inside betting is alive and well--and always will be.
-NCG

*btw.....this horse paid more to show than place

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 05-25-2017 at 01:48 AM.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
thaskalos

I've been using HDW's PsPos reports for about 4 months now. Along with providing speed and pace figures in these reports, Jim Cramer also gives his prediction of the race's outcome...based on his projection of what final figure each horse in the race will ultimately run. In this race...Cramer's predicted order of finish was ,,...with the listed less than half a length ahead of the at the finish. The race's official finish was ,,.

Consequently...it's very possible that the betting action was driven by some sophisticated speed and pace figures...instead of by stable-betting.

PS...

I didn't bet this race myself, but I follow Cramer's predictions just for curiosity"s sake...and his prognosticating skills often astound me. On a few occasions...I've seen him select signer trifectas in perfect order.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
theotherside

Jim Cramer also gives his prediction of the race's outcome

Where on the summary sheets is Jims prediction of the race's outcome?
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherside View Post
Where on the summary sheets is Jims prediction of the race's outcome?
Under the race conditions, there are several boxes containing different horseracing data...and one of the boxes is titled "Speed Ratings Summary". The projected speed figure and the predicted finish of each horse are listed in the far-right of that box.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
lamboguy

other than first time starters and layoff horses the biggest form of inside money comes from vets that have just tapped a horse.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Someone...I don't remember who--recently made a statement here that --since fields are smaLL and purses have gotten larger--that stable betting is largely a thing of the past. Most all races are on the "up and up".

I got a good chuckle out of that comment. I happened to spot a horse @ EVD...a track where the wagering doesn't seem all that sophisticated....maybe the sharpies don't bother much with EVD.

This horse-- 6th race GOOD GOSH GENE 15-1 ML---showed NOTHING in his last 5 races to indicate today was the day. Sometimes I get lucky and spot these--I'm no sharper than the next guy. I am a student of running lines---and could see GENE'S past running lines had an unnatural look.

I don't believe this horse had even beaten half the field last-5. His lowest odds were 18-1...highest was 85-1.

GENE won his race today---and paid a whopping 8 bucks. If you go over this horse with a fine tooth comb--he had good pace and speed numbers--against an incredibly weak field.

Still...it's blatantly obvious this was "inside" wagering. The betting public does not look at running lines...especially the EVD crowd.

I was hoping for a $20.00+ payoff . Maybe I'm whining a little bit here--but note that inside betting is alive and well--and always will be.
-NCG

*btw.....this horse paid more to show than place

Greg, Not disagreeing with your assessment on insiders, but this horse also shows a 3X2, and almost a 3X3 improvement pattern that I believe you touted on here several months back. I've hit a few longshots using that pattern to your credit.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
overthehill

I dont know

im admittedly redboarding. and i can see why you would be dissappointed at the price. however when i look at the form I see a stretch out from the rail , a drop in class from most of its previous efforts and a very positive jockey change on paper looked like a candidate to wire the field from the inside post.
and i have seen stretch outs like this get lots of play.
overthehill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

......Consequently...it's very possible that the betting action was driven by some sophisticated speed and pace figures...instead of by stable-betting .......

Just checked. BRIS Prime Power ranking: #1, #2, #7, #5.

Morning Line was way off, that's all.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post

Greg--GGG had the highest last out speed rating, also #1 Prime.
ML was way too high. sprint to route trainer number was good.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
jimmyb

Not trying to redboard, but the 1 had the highest speed/pace figure by a wide margin.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic1 View Post
Just checked. BRIS Prime Power ranking: #1, #2, #7, #5.

Morning Line was way off, that's all.
Wouldn't Brisnet be more credible if they made their own ML to go along with their Prime power ratings? Kind of like PA's lines on his selections.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Wouldn't Brisnet be more credible if they made their own ML to go along with their Prime power ratings? Kind of like PA's lines on his selections.
I don't know. You want morning lines or value lines?
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
green80

As a regular at my homestate tracks, I think the bettors at EVD & FG are as sharp as any in the country. Not that the stables bet any more than ordinary but the word is always out if a horse is going to run good for some reason. Seems like more of the backside info gets to the bettors at these tracks.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
As a regular at my homestate tracks, I think the bettors at EVD & FG are as sharp as any in the country. Not that the stables bet any more than ordinary but the word is always out if a horse is going to run good for some reason. Seems like more of the backside info gets to the bettors at these tracks.
And because of the constant "word" that's being spread around for decades at these tracks, this is great for value on plays that don't involve the "word" horses. As long as you're being patient and selective of which insider horses to go against, these are some of the best +EV tracks that exist in racing..

PS- There's also a lot of phony info that gets spread to elevate the "real" good thing's prices in multiple pools.....Got to do your homework here on questionable connections, coupled with tote-board analysis.

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 05-25-2017 at 11:40 AM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
And because of the constant "word" that's being spread around for decades at these tracks, this is great for value on plays that don't involve the "word" horses. As long as you're being patient and selective of which insider horses to go against, these are some of the best +EV tracks that exist in racing..

PS- There's also a lot of phony info that gets spread to elevate the "real" good thing's prices in multiple pools.....Got to do your homework here on questionable connections, coupled with tote-board analysis.

I agree, many of these well-intended horses don't run up to their expectations. You have to know how to filter your information.

Usually, most trainers in a race think they are going to win. I pay the most attention to the ones that tell me that they don't think their horse is going to run well today for whatever reason.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply