Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #136
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
You never know what women are thinking, at least that is my experience. How in hell can this woman take that kind of abuse, later marry him and now defend him to the media? Maybe she is only in it for the money (oblique nod to Frank Zappa). Grits, can you help?
Gary, I noticed in the video. His girlfriend, now wife, slapped him. To me, personally speaking, that was the first mistake made. The slap drew his fist. No woman should ever hit a man. I've never hit and I've never been hit, in my life. When a woman slaps or hits a man she opens herself up to the situation escalating, knowing full well he is much stronger, and probably much quicker. If provoked by anger, out of meanness or drunkeness, a man hit or beat me? It'd be a one time only deal. No amount of money, no amount of fear, would keep me under the same roof. I'd put mileage between us. Right after filing charges of assault and battery, hiring the best attorney I could find, and divorcing him.

Some food for thought from one who handles these situations daily. The question was asked by a friend of mine today.

Quote:
"Is it possible to be a good person if you hit your wife once? Quite a few people are coming to the defense of Ray Rice, and it makes me wonder what the consensus is."
Quote:
Answer: That question isn't relevant here, though to my mind a person never hits their partner only once unless the partner gets out after the first hit. But we aren't talking about a man hitting his wife once, we are talking about him punching her twice in the face, the second time so hard her head cracks against a metal railing and she loses consciousness.

Hitting is one point in a progression of violence that can start much smaller and always gets worse over time. Its a safe bet that he started hitting her long before he graduated to knocking her out.

As far as her response, there are a lot of complex reasons why people stay with abusive partners and they are much more a reflection of the cycle of violence and abuse created and maintained by the abuser than they are a reflection of the woman who stays and even defends. Minimizing and defending an abuser's behavior is extremely common in this cycle, and the responses that we see from abused women in the media mirror the responses of women in abusive relationships that don't receive media attention. It is not the victim who is responsible for holding the abuser accountable for committing a crime, especially considering the complex forces that keep women in abusive relationships.

Also, I think its entirely possible and not uncommon for a person to only abuse their partner and be a "good person" in their interactions with the rest of the world. So as long as you overlook documented and inevitably undocumented beatings, he may indeed be a good person.

Would it be a different answer if we asked can you be a good person if you beat your child unconscious only once?

---A NY attorney, Special Victims Prosecutor. She knows her stuff.

Last edited by Grits; 09-09-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #137
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
The Ravens didnt cut Rice because THEY saw the video...

They cut Rice because WE saw the video.
100 % right and Rodger(good deal) messed up and should step off, he makes million of dollars a year and this smells real bad, he's the male version of Lois Lerner
Old 09-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #138
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
100 % right and Rodger(good deal) messed up and should step off, he makes million of dollars a year and this smells real bad, he's the male version of Lois Lerner
Smells worse today.....

Last edited by magwell; 09-10-2014 at 06:50 PM.
magwell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #139
cj's dad

Thousands of Ravens fans lined up today at Ravens stadium(M&T BANK STADIUM) to turn in their Ray Rice jerseys for a different jersey. There is hope for the fans.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #140
Dark Horse

During the coverage of this scandal and the larger one involving more NFL players, the elephant in the room, not once addressed by Goodell (or as far as I've seen, by the media) is.... *drum roll*... : steroids.

How much of this is roid rage?
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #141
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
During the coverage of this scandal and the larger one involving more NFL players, the elephant in the room, not once addressed by Goodell (or as far as I've seen, by the media) is.... *drum roll*... : steroids.

How much of this is roid rage?
Great call. Rice was an otherwise model citizen, this came out of the blue. Certainly something that needs to be discussed.

Of course, the "Steroid stigma" is more of a baseball thing, so i doub't anything comes of it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #142
Robert Fischer
clean money

I really don't know enough to comment, but it never stopped me or others before - It kind of looked like his girlfriend initially approached him in a dramatic violent manner, before rice responded in kind. Wouldn't surprise me that if they had/have the kind of relationship that feeds off of that type of energy on a regular basis.

, but yea, - these guys take growth hormones and it makes sense that many would have doctors administering and self-testing doses of steroids, given the incentive.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #143
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
It kind of looked like his girlfriend initially approached him in a dramatic violent manner, before rice responded in kind. Wouldn't surprise me that if they had/have the kind of relationship that feeds off of that type of energy on a regular basis.
If you go back to the video, you'll see something many haven't...
a) noticed (or)
b) have chosen to ignore

He spit on her, twice. He spit right in her face. Likely causing her mistake, to raise her hand to him. Then, he spit on her a second time. The nastiest, the most vile thing one can do. I cannot imagine such an animal. Much less marrying it. Absolutely beyond my comprehension!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #144
MutuelClerk

If the Ravens owner was telling the truth at the press conference I have a hard time believing him. Those fake white teeth and that fake white tooth smile makes me hold on to my wallet when he speaks. Seems a guy with that much cash could get better teeth, and a better look.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #145
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
If the Ravens owner was telling the truth at the press conference I have a hard time believing him. Those fake white teeth and that fake white tooth smile makes me hold on to my wallet when he speaks. Seems a guy with that much cash could get better teeth, and a better look.
He looks like a surly gangster, a thug even
Full length leather coats, slicked back hair, crater face and Al Davis sunglasses.
Dude has that look down pat.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #146
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
He looks like a surly gangster, a thug even
Full length leather coats, slicked back hair, crater face and Al Davis sunglasses.
Dude has that look down pat.
Well, he is Italian. What did you expect?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #147
cj's dad

Much is being made about Bisciotti and Ozzie lobbying for a 2 game suspension instead of 4-6 that they expected. What owner and GM wouldn't do the same thing? Name them.

I'm not defending RR here, I am glad he is gone, but his case had already been adjudicated in NJ.

What is the point of the incessant criticism of the Ravens owner? A court of law decided that RR's punishment was sufficient. RG decided 2 games was enough.

I still believe that the reason RG put the indefinite suspension on RR was because he was scared out of wits that another NFL team would sign hi, after the Ravens let him go. Remember that the ind. suspension came after RR was released.

What is the NFL going to do regarding Bisciotti? Nothing but talk a lot.