Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #31
Greyfox

Once again CNN is telling people "Do as I say, not as I do."
They have reporters in Florida asking people why they aren't obeying the evacuation orders?
Why isn't CNN obeying that order?
Their latent message is that it's okay to ride out the storm.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #32
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Working with my daughter and son-in-law to have the horses stall bound to ride this thing out here. If the evacuation order for mobiles in Marion County comes, I'll pack up the dog and cat with some stuff and go to my daughter's pretty sturdy new house around 10 miles from me.

Crazy traffic on I-75 and US-27 (plus the remnants of the flu) keeping me housebound right now - won't even go to OBS ITW. Guess I'll play on-line Belmont.
Heck, sounds like a good enough excuse as any to pack that maxwell house can full of silver into your car and spend the evening with them and play some poker. I did that every year at least once when the wife's dad was still alive, if you have some grand kids its a no brainier. Whatever you end up doing keep safe, and best of luck to you and family.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #33
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
They have reporters in Florida asking people why they aren't obeying the evacuation orders?
Reporters are always great at “being there.”

One of my favorites is when during the first Gulf War, a juvenile, CNN reporter, asked a sun burned US. Marine holding a weapon, “Do you know why you are here?”

I guess this reporter kid was looking for some philosophical answer that would impress his boss.

MARINE: Yeah, to kick ass!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #34
Ocala Mike

Thanks, fast - yeah, we'll play some board games or something and stay occupied. Unfortunately, my one and only grandchild is 9-yo Leo in Murray, Utah - just visited there a couple of months ago.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #35
boxcar

Mornin' One and All:

It's about 6:50 A.M. and squalls have been coming and a goin'. Right now my areas is in this latter status which is why I'm typing this. Power has been on overall, but we've had our share of brown-outs which is why I why I'll be shutting down all my electronic equipment very shortly. (I have already cut off power to all my refrigeration and a/c.) I'm actually surprised that we haven't lost all power by now since we live in an unincorporated part of our county where we get no respect.

Hundreds of thousands are already without juice in Dade County (home of Miami for those unfamiliar with Swampland). And Broward County just to the north of Dade isn't fairing too well either.

Storm is supposed to hit the keys in a few hours I think. What is bummer, though, is that the hurricane has slowed down appreciably which means we could get a lot of rain.

Talk to you guys later Lord willin' and the crik doesn't rise.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #36
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
They are doing the same at FOX. For some reason all news outlets believe that putting their reporters in harm's way is the way to go.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #37
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
They are doing the same at FOX. For some reason all news outlets believe that putting their reporters in harm's way is the way to go.
The Weather Channel has their reporter in the middle of a Miami street standing in a foot of rushing water,barely able to balance himself.I think the network is waiting for the moment he gets knocked over so they get lots of free publicity.My wife had Univision on and one of their reporters was in Homestead standing in front of a couple of downed trees.I believe where there are knocked down trees,there are bound to be MORE trees and limbs flying around.
These networks can be mercenary.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #38
TBD

Well just setting here in Tampa, waiting for all hell to break loose. Bath tubs are full, windows boarded up. Time for the wait and see mode.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I hope all you guys in Florida fare as well as our Houston members fared during Harvey...here's hoping those hurricane code homes hold up as planned and you don't get hit with too much flooding.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #40
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

12 Noon Report

Here it is raining and winds at 14mph with 32mph gusts. According to this wind ap (Windy) our worst time will be 9am Monday which will have 50mph/100mph gusts.

The Tampa area (according to this ap) will experience its worst at 6am Monday with 63mph/122mph.

Of course your problem will be the surge after the eye has just passed Tampa bay, especially with the thing slowing down.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg irma03.jpg (204.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg irma04.jpg (220.1 KB, 11 views)
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #41
Clocker

Quote:
Darwin's theory in action.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #42
ElKabong

Sure wish the Florida folks on here could have evacuated. For those that stayed, hoping and praying for the best. Tried to talk my son in law in Lakeland into going to a shelter. No go... As hard headed as his mom.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #43
TBD

Yep, the bay is going ultra low. Water has moved sixty feet from low tide markers. As the eye passes here we will be coming back to high tide. Flooding will be the biggest concern. The news here was showing pictures of how far out the bay was draining. Still showing some knuckle heads out on the beaches.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #44
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Sure wish the Florida folks on here could have evacuated. For those that stayed, hoping and praying for the best. Tried to talk my son in law in Lakeland into going to a shelter. No go... As hard headed as his mom.
I have a sister who didn't leave. All she said was "I am safe"
Old 09-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #45
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Here we go