Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #31
HalvOnHorseracing

There are certainly things TVG could do better, even within the context of being a promotional site for Betfair, although I think blaming TVG for all of racing's woes doesn't hold water much more than blaming the Food Channel for America's obesity problem. Rather than NASCAR, I'd look more at the specific sport channels (NBA, NHL, MLB) for ideas. Biographical pieces on great horses. More in-depth interviews with major figures in the sport. Top ten lists. Best performances of the week - not just coverage of the big races, but really good performances. More coverage of important issues (e.g., decoupling). I think it might be interesting to do infomercials for racing products (e.g., Thorograph) as opposed to irrelevant informercials for herbal boner pills and workout videos. Perhaps a weekly show on what's going on internationally. Very often Americans are underprepared for the Euro invaders in the Breeder's Cup. Maybe simulated races with great horses in history - Secretariat vs Man O'War, Ruffian vs Zenyatta. Pure entertainment. Maybe some historical shows on great races with the participants, like you see on MLB when they do a show on the Mets/Orioles World Series with the guys who were in it. Maybe something more interactive with the fans. Talk about Nyquist vs Mohaymen in the Florida Derby with the fans. IF there is anything horseracing fans are good at, it is arguing about which horse is the best. Frankly, we occasionally might be able to do better than listening to an exclusive diet of the TVG personalities. There is almost a complete dearth of coverage/discussion of the negative aspects of the game - e.g., Gary Contessa's conviction for a cocaine positive or the shenanigans that seem to come up in Pennsylvania weekly. Maybe more shows on handicapping, from 101 to graduate level.

What are the biggest problems horseplayers have? The take tops the list, and while HANA works for horseplayers on the issue, there are no national outlets willing to cover that issue, even casually.

Perhaps TVG is never going to be the right venue for all things racing. Although it would be nice to find a single source for coverage AND other things.

One word on bloggers. Some of them are very good, and some of them do not depend on advertisers. And yes, some of them may have convinced themselves they have important things to say and can do it eloquently. It appears the folks at PA are pretty good at discerning which is which.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #32
sharkie187

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I expanded a bit...just in case he happens to see my post.
When he responded to my twitter response, I told him to come to this site to see EXACTLY what is being said! You nailed exactly what I was thinking!!!
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #33
SandyW

TVG is just like Churchill Downs, they know everything and nobody can tell them anything to help this game. It is very unfortunate that any helpful suggestions fall on deaf ears.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #34
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
TVG is just like Churchill Downs, they know everything and nobody can tell them anything to help this game. It is very unfortunate that any helpful suggestions fall on deaf ears.
They're not in this to help the game, they just want to help themselves. They are neither player friendly nor industry friendly.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #35
pandy

Handle

Any track that has its races telecast on TVG 1 or 2 has higher handle than if TVG did not show its races. Some tracks might not be in business if not for TVG. One track I can think of is Cal Expo (harness). I'm pretty sure that Cal Expo would have closed its operations a few years ago if TVG hadn't started showing its races.

TVG needs the support of the racing industry and fans, because if Betfair ever pulls the plug on these two channels, it could be disastrous.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #36
upthecreek

Another Perspective

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...and-its-bettor
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #37
ebcorde
Veteran

everyone is complaining about racing dying

This guy sees things via a different lens and everyone is howling. A lot of what he says is impractical but I think he's made some valid points.

example: I never watched cycling ever until last summer and I found it very watchable. The Cameras shots of the countryside was excellent.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #38
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek

I doubt that XBTV ever gets on cable. They had HRTV and sold it.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #39
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
That was a good read. I have been following XBTV and will tune in with them when I am interested in SoCal racing. Free and available on the roku, appletv. etc. sounds good to me. Cable tv is a slowly dying business.

Last edited by JimG; 03-01-2016 at 01:24 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #40
Inner Dirt

Is the picture on the page that article on of a real track and if so what one? From the view it looks like a bull ring with a turf course. It also looks way too fancy for a small track.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #41
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Is the picture on the page that article on of a real track and if so what one? From the view it looks like a bull ring with a turf course. It also looks way too fancy for a small track.
Santa Anita
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #42
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Santa Anita
Seriously, now I am really baffled as I have been there many times but not for the last 10 years. I could not imagine any spot on the track looking like that.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply