Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
mostpost

Romney insults an ally; Dines and accepts contributions from potential felons,

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...cid=hero_media

In London for a fundraiser, Mitt Romney called into question the ability of Great Britain to host the Olympic Games. British Prime Minister David Cameron was not amused.

Romney was in London to attend a fundraiser sponsored by Barclays Bank. That is London, England, not New London, Ct. Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.

Barclays is one of many banks involved in the LIBOR scandal. They have already been fined $450M and many of their executives are facing criminal prosecution.

The scandal is not limited to Great Britain and the US justice department is investigating US banksters in regard to LIBOR
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Pace Cap'n

Potential Felons

Aren't we all!
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost

In London for a fundraiser, Mitt Romney called into question the ability of Great Britain to host the Olympic Games. British Prime Minister David Cameron was not amused.

Romney was in London to attend a fundraiser sponsored by Barclays Bank. That is London, England, not New London, Ct. Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.

Barclays is one of many banks involved in the LIBOR scandal. They have already been fined $450M and many of their executives are facing criminal prosecution.

The scandal is not limited to Great Britain and the US justice department is investigating US banksters in regard to LIBOR
Hmm, and who oversees the three US banks that submit LIBOR to the BBA? Oh, the NY Fed. Who was the head of the NY Fed in 2008? Oh, Tim Geithner. What's he doing now? Oh, he's Obama's Treasury Sec. So what were you saying about Romney and Barclays?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I thought he expressed a concern any planner of major events would be wondering. Sure, the games portion might be organized, but wasn't it just within the last week that their security vendor, whom thay paid millions of pounds to, had to go to the government (and them to the military) because they only had 7,000 of the 10,000 sercurity guards/forces that they were to supply.

Plus wasn't their a major labo groiup that only within the last 2 days held off on their threat to strike - think it had to do with transporation that would have reaked swerious havoc on everything.

Don't know if he said it or wasn't quioted, but I know I'm still wonderign about if they can put on the games without serious problems. I have confidence in them, but it only takes one evil madman, like the movie theatre shottings, or the evil of the PLO members that kidnampped and killed the Israeli athletes to really ruin the event. I am concerned every year for our own Super Bowl for the same reasons. Yes, many preparations in place, but I think an aware person always wonders at least a little until it's all over.

Guess Romney will learn to be much more guarded in his public responses, although I thought it wasn't necessarily a bad statement or thought, but it was made around a lot of proud and anxiiuos politicians and a blood-thirsty media (there and perhaps here.)
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

P.S. I'll state on the forum again that I am SO GLAD that Chicago, the town I live in, DID NOT GET the 2016 Olympics!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

As Vito Corleone slapped Sonny and said "Don't ever tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking."
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
bigmack

Just the first in a long line of stories without legs that will be posted from North Riverside, IL for the next 8 years, as a result of hatred for Mr. Romney for no other reason than him being white.

Haters, if you will.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
elysiantraveller

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Fox, CNN, MSNBC, the BBC, and every other major media outlet already did that a week ago... was David Cameron amused when he had to deploy the Queen's soldiers to fill the security gaps?...

The rest of your post is absolutely fantastic though... just like European Gun Crime your Gumshoe abilities rival even those of the "detective."

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-26-2012 at 06:12 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:

Granted it isn't Obama raising the funds himself overseas (although I think he did in 2008), but what do his donors expect in return?
"AP, July, 1, 2012

George Clooney, who last month pulled in a record $15 million for President Barack Obama’s re-election during a fundraiser at his home, will host two more events on the president’s behalf this summer — this time, in Switzerland."

Also, you do realize Romney (and Obama) are just raising money from American citizens living overseas?

Last edited by Saratoga_Mike; 07-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Greyfox

Quote:
Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.
Why is an American President having a fund raising dinner in Switzerland hosted by George Clooney at $30,000 a plate? What is he promising in return for those foreign funds?

Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner

Read more on Newsmax.com: Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
P.S. I'll state on the forum again that I am SO GLAD that Chicago, the town I live in, DID NOT GET the 2016 Olympics!
When I heard the Olympics were being held in London, I had the same kind of thoughts as you, Steve. I wondered why the hell they even wanted it.

Then I saw where most of the games are being held (and the Olympic Village placed) and I thought this is doubly crazy. I know that area pretty well and it's not the best neighborhood in London by any standard.

But in the last few months I changed my mind. First, the location of the Olympic village, stadiums, etc. have really effected massive improvements in the East End of London. Secondly, who stages anything better than the English? Nobody is a fair guess.

Anyway, if terrorists don't ruin the games, I think it will be something the UK will be proud of for a long time. I just wish we got the BBC coverage instead of NBC's over-hyped/over-taped coverage. But then I think us capitalists here are getting exactly what NBC paid so much for to broadcast the Olympics here. So far that's a billion dollars worth of commercials we can look forward to sitting through.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Native Texan III

The huge area of land available in the East End of London is often heavily contaminated by past industries. It needed Government pump priming funding to take the huge clean up and planning risks so that private capital could then help so that working together is more than the sum of the parts. They built up the new financial centre at Canary Wharf this way - built London Docklands Railway - an extensive driverless Metro system and rebuilt stations for the 200 mph new railway lines that come in from the East. As the centre of gravity of London gradually moves East the land soars in value plus more industries are attracted - so that the Olympics is seen as pump priming to start long term investment - not a short life investment cost in itself. Publicly funded BBC have the rights to all UK Broadcasting of Olympics - zero adverts - zero messages from our sponsors - informed and impartial broadcasters - a civilised country.
Native Texan III is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
Aren't we all!
No. I am referring to people who have already committed the crime and are just waiting to be caught; not to be someone who might conceivably commit a crime in the future.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Granted it isn't Obama raising the funds himself overseas (although I think he did in 2008), but what do his donors expect in return?
"AP, July, 1, 2012

George Clooney, who last month pulled in a record $15 million for President Barack Obama’s re-election during a fundraiser at his home, will host two more events on the president’s behalf this summer — this time, in Switzerland."

Also, you do realize Romney (and Obama) are just raising money from American citizens living overseas?
You are right about Obama. The Clooney fund raiser in Switzerland is for Americans living abroad. That is stated twice in the Newsmax article which Greyfox linked to.
On the other hand there is this in the Comcast article which I posted.
Quote:
(Barclays) Chief executive Bob Diamond resigned. Diamond was to have been a host of Romney's fundraiser. He dropped out of the event but had already sent a check for $2,500.

So have 82 others who listed their employer as Barclays or Barclays Capital on Federal Election Commission records, including two who gave the maximum to the Romney campaign both in 2011 and 2012.
So we have at least 82 employees of the British Bank Barclays who have contributed to Romney's campaign. And what was one of the main themes of his remarks to the group.
"I believe Dodd-Frank has gone beyond what was appropriate," Romney said of the banking bill.
He wants to repeal the legislation that would prevent banks from gambling peoples money away.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Why is an American President having a fund raising dinner in Switzerland hosted by George Clooney at $30,000 a plate? What is he promising in return for those foreign funds?

Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner

Read more on Newsmax.com: Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner
For3ign funds are not involved here as is clearly stated in the article you posted.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: