Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #46
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
"Finished," which is why row houses are starting to list at over a million in some parts of the city
Gentrification happens in spite of a bunch of things. They are just pushing money around. It happens everywhere. But that doesn’t mean the city isn’t still a crap hole
Old 05-28-2023, 06:31 PM   #47
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
"Finished," which is why row houses are starting to list at over a million in some parts of the city
Auto theft is up 95% in the city. It’s hard to believe but murder is actually down and we may only get 310 or 320 instead of 340. Dr’s at shock trauma say it would probably be 500 plus a year but they do a great job saving people with gun shot wounds. Good luck if you buy one of those million dollar row houses.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2023, 11:45 AM   #48
dilanesp

I'll avoid getting too political but simply observe that urban crime seems to be cyclical and we seem to be entering into a bad cycle right now, and you see that all over the place, in wealthier cities like San Francisco as well as less wealthy ones like Baltimore.

Cities have a way of coming back though. Hopefully, we'll figure out the proper measures to slow this trend down.

I still think all this effort to keep a horse race inside the city limits of Baltimore is completely crazy, though. Let it go.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2023, 12:01 PM   #49
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I'll avoid getting too political but simply observe that urban crime seems to be cyclical and we seem to be entering into a bad cycle right now, and you see that all over the place, in wealthier cities like San Francisco as well as less wealthy ones like Baltimore.

Cities have a way of coming back though. Hopefully, we'll figure out the proper measures to slow this trend down.

I still think all this effort to keep a horse race inside the city limits of Baltimore is completely crazy, though. Let it go.
It will never happen anymore, too many free handouts and not enough revenue. Personal responsibility doesn't matter anymore. We have the same issue in our big cities
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2023, 12:30 PM   #50
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Auto theft is up 95% in the city. It’s hard to believe but murder is actually down and we may only get 310 or 320 instead of 340. Dr’s at shock trauma say it would probably be 500 plus a year but they do a great job saving people with gun shot wounds. Good luck if you buy one of those million dollar row houses.
Don't get too optimistic about the decrease in murders. Many of the large cities have decided to not report all of their wards' crimes to the FBI. They don't want to be at the top of any lists. Their mantra now is " just because we have a high crime rate, doesn't mean we're not a good place to live." Ok....I guess.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2023, 12:56 PM   #51
classhandicapper

Maybe murder rates are declining by attrition. A lot of murders are drug and gang related. Maybe so many rivals have killed each other there are fewer murderers left for the time being.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:40 PM   #52
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Don't get too optimistic about the decrease in murders. Many of the large cities have decided to not report all of their wards' crimes to the FBI. They don't want to be at the top of any lists. Their mantra now is " just because we have a high crime rate, doesn't mean we're not a good place to live." Ok....I guess.
Dead on target. The FBI Crime reports have always been fudged before sending them into the FBI. Chiefs and Deputy Chiefs get promoted on taking over departments or sections of the city and knocking down the crime rates. It’s all bullshit.

The reporting is about as accurate as death certs during Covid
Old 05-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #53
ubercapper

It's not just the FBI reports.

One of the major networks yesterday did a story of infant sleep related deaths due to snugglers/infant sleepers and the head of the CPSC said the numbers are under reported because the CPSC only gets some deaths reported to them directly and are required to get the numbers from the manufacturers themselves, which of course are whatever those manufacturers want them to be.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2023, 08:00 PM   #54
Al Gobbi

Pimlico is ceasing simulcast operations at the end of June

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2023...ing-operation/
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2023, 08:30 PM   #55
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Pimlico is ceasing simulcast operations at the end of June

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2023...ing-operation/
Uh oh - that is bad news.
Article states that there is currently no schedule in place for live racing in Maryland beyond June 30th.

Pimlico meet ends June 4th and Laurel only has scheduled races thru the 30th

Old 05-31-2023, 08:40 PM   #56
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The end of OTB at Pimlico is scheduled to occur on the same date as the expiration of an agreement between the Maryland Jockey Club, Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association and the Maryland Horse Breeders Association for continued operation of Pimlico and Laurel Park. The date extending their 10-year agreement already has been extended from Dec. 31, 2022, to midnight June 30.
So just because they are continuing to negotiate with the horsemen because a 10y deal has ended and a new one has to be struck...this means it's the end of racing in Maryland?

Something tells me my money would be safe betting on more racing after June 30.

Laurel hasn't scheduled dates after June 30 because they can't until a new deal with the horsemen is in place.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:36 PM   #57
Robert Fischer
clean money

Question paint by the numbers dystopian melodrama with plot holes

I hope they get this stuff straight.

as far as simulcast at Pimlico, disappointing... Is that also a contract issue, or is that set?

Mixed signals.

In the past ... hearing a push for Laurel to get the Preakness... Now we're hearing not only is Pimlico keeping the Preakness and getting $$, but that Laurel is suddenly unsafe and so the logical thing to do is to end racing there, and make the unsafe track a training facility?.

So now they are going to eventually greatly expand Pimlico's live racing with all the races from the unsafe Laurel.

So clearly, the logical step is to close simulcasting at Pimlico.

It's Racing so you just kind of go with the flow and suspend your disbelief I guess.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:35 PM   #58
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

It's Racing so you just kind of go with the flow and suspend your disbelief I guess.

this!!

i'm thinking of summing it up in a new book called the great light rail robbery: horse wizards, lost racinos, and painting pimlico red by tim onium.

look for it soon at gamblers book or drf press!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2023, 10:08 PM   #59
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I wish they would get more than a token amount of race dates, that track is only about 60 miles from me.
Colonial is a nice place.
I wish it had a longer meeting.
It's emphasis on turf racing makes for larger fields. The racing is competitive.
From my location here in NC, this is also the closest race track. About 300 miles ( 5 hours). I try to get there at least once every meeting.
Oh, there are several nice golf courses in the area as well. Bonus if one is looking for something to do on dark days
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2023, 10:07 AM   #60
Thomas Roulston

Colonial is awesome - but the turf course(s) need to be reconfigured so that turf races at 6 1/2 furlongs, 7 furlongs, and 7 1/2 furlongs can be run (one or more of these distances are run on the turf courses at Santa Anita, Gulfstream, Woodbine, etc.).
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply