Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
SharpCat

Hawthorne Race#9

Anyone happen to watch race #9 at Hawthorne? The 2 is cruising at the top of the stretch by 5 and the jockey never moves a muscle and gets nailed in the last jump. Just a simple hand ride and this horse would have won. I feel sorry for the owner, trainer and anyone who had money on him cause you got screwed by jockey incompetence.

Last edited by SharpCat; 12-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
illinoisbred

The #2 won the 8th race. Do you mean the #2 in the 9th? That's the horse's style. He wings it and lasts as far as he can. He's almost always running on fumes even when he wins. Whipping,urging wouldn't matter much in his case.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat
Anyone happen to watch race #9 at Hawthorne? The 2 is cruising at the top of the stretch by 5 and the jockey never moves a muscle and gets nailed in the last jump. Just a simple hand ride and this horse would have won. I feel sorry for the owner, trainer and anyone who had money on him cause you got screwed by jockey incompetence.
Yes, I saw it. I thought the jock let up a bit.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
The #2 won the 8th race. Do you mean the #2 in the 9th? That's the horse's style. He wings it and lasts as far as he can. He's almost always running on fumes even when he wins. Whipping,urging wouldn't matter much in his case.

My bad I meant the 9th race. When a horse loses a photo finish by less than an inch and the jockey never moves a muscle on him through the stretch I have a problem with that. I know several people who had money on that horse and felt like they were screwed and I don't blame them.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
illinoisbred

I've followed this horse his entire career. Almost without exception,he runs the fastest raw 1/4 and 1/2 time on every card he runs. He did today too..headwind and all on the backstretch. I doubt the trainer and owner are upset at all with the rider's tactics/performance.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
I've followed this horse his entire career. Almost without exception,he runs the fastest raw 1/4 and 1/2 time on every card he runs. He did today too..headwind and all on the backstretch. I doubt the trainer and owner are upset at all with the rider's tactics/performance.

I can tell you bettors were upset with the jockeys performance through the stretch. I like the Shutter Cam replay. Maybe the last 15yds or so Hernandez gives him a little nudge and 2 taps on the shoulder but by that time he had already blown it.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
BlueShoe

I'm surprised he ran as well as he did. He had been away 6 weeks, and figured in my book to be a bit short, and to pop and stop, since he has blown big leads in the past. My selection was the #10, whom I thought would get a stalk and pounce trip just off of the #2 and repeat his last sharp win. When he never showed up, it cost me the late Pick-4. The official chart comment on the #2 is "was prompted under some hand urging approaching the wire to resist the winner's late charge but just failed to contain that foe."
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Valuist

Here's the replay.

http://www.hawthorneracecourse.com/l...ng/replays.php

I think the rider thought he had the race won and fell asleep at the wheel. He started to hand ride a bit at the very end but it was too little, too late. This one would be a tough way to lose the final leg of a Pic 4.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
This one would be a tough way to lose the final leg of a Pic 4.
It was the 3rd leg, not the final, but yes, had you had the winner of the 10th race in your Pick-4 ticket, it would have been a very tough beat indeed.

Last edited by BlueShoe; 12-30-2013 at 12:06 PM.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Exotic1

Quote:
Here's the replay.

I think the rider thought he had the race won and fell asleep at the wheel. He started to hand ride a bit at the very end but it was too little, too late. This one would be a tough way to lose the final leg of a Pic 4.
Agreed, good post. I can never embed these replays.

Not saying he could have squeezed too much more out of the horse and understand the other posters comments about the layoff and running on fumes but just from a visual it seemed that had the jock urged him just a bit he could have won. The winner (#7), didn't have the best of trips. He saved ground but he steadied along the rail maybe at the 8th pole or so.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
SharpCat

Quote:
Here's the replay.

No question he fell asleep at the wheel. I like the slow-mo of the shutter cam view. When he realized uh-oh he gives him a little nudge and slapped him on the shoulder twice. Surely he could have looked back to see if anyone was coming. I believe a simple hand ride through the stretch would have gotten that horse home.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: