Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
onefast99

Infrastructure Plan and how will NJ deal with the 23 cent

"gas" tax once NJ is given Federal aid to help rebuild the roads, bridges and tunnels? This is one item Gov. Murphy may need to explain to the people of NJ on the real use of these funds. Yes we have that added 23 cents a gallon add on but now we are in line for a nice Federal Aid package that will or should result in the abolishment of the 23 cents added tax. I'm sure that money will now be earmarked for other things NJ needs but the voters made it clear it is only to be used for the betterment of the roads, bridges and tunnels. This is going to be an interesting topic going forward in the Garden State.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Taxes never go away

Ask the people in PA that are still paying for the Johnstown flood
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Clocker

I haven't seen any details, but the big picture from Trump I heard was that the plan is for $1.5 trillion in spending, with $200 billion coming from the feds. That doesn't sound like any gift to the states to me.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

I always wondered how city, county, and state government taxes, fees and fines can continue to rise over time while at the same time said city, county or state becomes a bigger shit hole. California is a prime example. I lived there from birth in 1961 till escaping in 2011.

A few examples when I was born sales tax was 4% statewide, now the minimum rate is 7.25%, with many cities as high as 9.5%.

When I was first driving in 1977, a driver's license was free, so was household waste disposal at landfills. Driver's license is now $35, dumping $9.

Same area average parking ticket letting a meter expire $2, they are now $50. 10 mph over speeding ticket $20, now many areas are around $200.
Adjusting for inflation should have just multiplied things by 4.

There is not a single tax or fee that has went down percentage wise, it is even rare on anything remaining the same.

Another one was was 30 or so years ago adding a state lotto which 50% was supposed to go to schools along with the county property tax money. Now the schools have property tax and lotto money yet are over crowded and run down, far worse with more money than 40 years ago.

Another gem, California has close to the highest gas tax in the nation, yet their roads rank near the bottom in state of repair.

I must ask, where does the money go? Californians get less and less while the government takes more and more.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I always wondered how city, county, and state government taxes, fees and fines can continue to rise over time while at the same time said city, county or state becomes a bigger shit hole. California is a prime example. I lived there from birth in 1961 till escaping in 2011.

I must ask, where does the money go? Californians get less and less while the government takes more and more.
How many more people are on the state payroll now compared to then? They are needed because of the huge number of new rules and regulations enacted since then.

In that particular state, you might also do a search on CalPERS, the state employee retirement program. It's scary.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
How many more people are on the state payroll now compared to then? They are needed because of the huge number of new rules and regulations enacted since then.

In that particular state, you might also do a search on CalPERS, the state employee retirement program. It's scary.

I know why . I was just waiting for our liberal friends in here to explain everything away as we know California is the liberal sewer of the USA.

The state employee system is a joke from start to finish. I would wear out my keyboard if I posted everything I know from personally knowing California state employees, along with interacting and observing ones I did not know on a personal level.

Of course the growing illegal population isn't burdening the state either.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I haven't seen any details, but the big picture from Trump I heard was that the plan is for $1.5 trillion in spending, with $200 billion coming from the feds. That doesn't sound like any gift to the states to me.
NJ will get funds to redo much needed roads and bridges. The tunnels will wait for NY to get off their political high horse and do a sit down with NJ to discuss what needs to be done.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
NJ will get funds to redo much needed roads and bridges.
NJ will get some money if it comes up with 80% of the cost first. The Trump proposal is a grant program in which the feds will fund 20% of state projects. The state has to come up with the rest to get the federal funding. That isn't anything that will make your gas tax go down.

Quote:
The White House says its plan will create $1.5 trillion for repairing and upgrading America's infrastructure.

Only $200 billion of that, however, would come from direct federal spending. The rest is supposed to come from state and local governments, which are expected to match any federal allocation by at least a four-to-one ratio. States have gradually assumed more of the responsibility for funding infrastructure in recent years, and the White House says it wants to accelerate that trend.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/11/news...ils/index.html
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
"gas" tax once NJ is given Federal aid to help rebuild the roads, bridges and tunnels? This is one item Gov. Murphy may need to explain to the people of NJ on the real use of these funds. Yes we have that added 23 cents a gallon add on but now we are in line for a nice Federal Aid package that will or should result in the abolishment of the 23 cents added tax. I'm sure that money will now be earmarked for other things NJ needs but the voters made it clear it is only to be used for the betterment of the roads, bridges and tunnels. This is going to be an interesting topic going forward in the Garden State.
First, we (State of NJ) are going to get peanuts from the feds. Do you know a peanut when you see one, Onefast?

Secondly, the dummies that elected Christy got the following for no sane reason:

"The final product, signed into law Friday, eliminates the estate tax, raises the retirement income tax exclusion, increases the Earned Income Tax Credit for the working poor, creates a tax deduction for veterans, and rolls back the sales taxes three-eighths of a percentage point."

Are we going to take back eliminating the estate tax in NJ and those other state tax cuts that just had to be enacted before Christy would sign the desperately needed bill to raise fuel taxes if we cut fuel taxes again? Do you think that NJ fuel taxes - that had not been raised in over 28 years - should not have been raised unless Christy handed out tax cuts offsetting the tax increase on fuel taxes?

Does it matter to you that our roads and bridges are crumpling and we don't have the tax revenue to repair our infrastructure?

Before you answer me, I just want to say this again because it so obviously continues to be true: Republicans want nice roads, nice airports, etc. but Republicans don't want to pay - they just want! You know - like a baby.

Here's the link to the quote above:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ding_deal.html

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 02-13-2018 at 07:01 PM.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
First, we (State of NJ) are going to get peanuts from the feds. Do you know a peanut when you see one, Onefast?

Secondly, the dummies that elected Christy got the following for no sane reason:

"The final product, signed into law Friday, eliminates the estate tax, raises the retirement income tax exclusion, increases the Earned Income Tax Credit for the working poor, creates a tax deduction for veterans, and rolls back the sales taxes three-eighths of a percentage point."

Are we going to take back eliminating the estate tax in NJ and those other state tax cuts that just had to be enacted before Christy would sign the desperately needed bill to raise fuel taxes if we cut fuel taxes again? Do you think that NJ fuel taxes - that had not been raised in over 28 years - should not have been raised unless Christy handed out tax cuts offsetting the tax increase on fuel taxes?

Does it matter to you that our roads and bridges are crumpling and we don't have the tax revenue to repair our infrastructure?

Before you answer me, I just want to say this again because it so obviously continues to be true: Republicans want nice roads, nice airports, etc. but Republicans don't want to pay - they just want! You know - like a baby.

Here's the link to the quote above:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ding_deal.html
Maybe if you got rid of over 500,000 illegal aliens your state would have more money to put into infrastructure.