Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #391
Clocker

Scot Peterson, the deputy working security at the school, had some kind of previous experience involving the shooter. Few details available yet.

Quote:
Peterson also had a run-in with Cruz prior to the shooting, The Washington Post reports. He is mentioned in a 2016 social services agency investigation into Cruz. The Florida Department of Children and Families report states that Peterson was approached by investigators and “refused to share any information,” with them, “regarding an incident that took place” with Cruz, according to The Post.

The sheriff’s office revealed that in 2016 it received “third hand information” from the son of Cruz’s neighbor that Cruz “planned to shoot up the school.” A deputy contacted the caller, found he had knives and a BB gun and sent the information to the school resource officer, who is not identified in the records but appears to be Peterson. It is not clear if he investigated further.
https://heavy.com/news/2018/02/deput...cott-peterson/
Old 02-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #392
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Another mass shooting...another dropped ball by law enforcement...seems to be all too common these days.

Almost every mass killing/terrorist attack lately, we seem to find afterwards that some agency had the person on its radar (FBI, local police, etc).

Then again, we aren't living in the world of Minority Report, so what can LE really do when they encounter someone like Cruz? You can't lock someone up for things they might think, say or write, although I know some people on here would like to see that ability added to LE.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #393
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
He doesn't? What does he "want" after shooting up a school, to go on a Caribbean cruise?
Doesn't matter.

And just like that the gun people have a perfectly legit reason to have guns not take then away...

FBI - dropped the ball
Sheriff Dept. and local LE - dropped the ball
Deputy at school - dropped the ball
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #394
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Three months ago, a gunman shot up a church in rural Texas killing a lot of people...you don't think folks in Texas are carrying firearms?

Your Vermont theory doesn't really hold much water given what happened in Texas recently.
The residents near the church came running with their guns though.......that’s Texas.......
Old 02-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #395
lamboguy

Quote:
Three months ago, a gunman shot up a church in rural Texas killing a lot of people...you don't think folks in Texas are carrying firearms?

Your Vermont theory doesn't really hold much water given what happened in Texas recently.
just a different mentality.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #396
boxcar

Quote:

Do Texas gun laws require churchgoers to carry guns? Or maybe that particular church taught pacifism to its congregants, which would have discouraged them from arming themselves.

Now for the flip side of the coin: Do you think Russia might have pretty stringent gun control laws? Perhaps as stringent as restricting all or virtually all private gun ownership? But what did all those Russian gun control laws do to prohibit the killing of five Russian innocent churchgoers?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43105171
Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #397
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
you don't hear of to many shooters going into the schools of Vermont and shooting them up because almost everyone there has a gun and the gunman doesn't want to get stopped out.

Vermont has had it fair share of threats

Fair Haven school shooting plot suspect kept journal of plans

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ans/366713002/

Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #398
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack Playa View Post

Vermont has had it fair share of threats

Fair Haven school shooting plot suspect kept journal of plans

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ans/366713002/

planning and doing are 2 different things. i say all the guns in Vermont made this dope think better of it.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #399
mrhorseplayer

Quote:

the neighbor to the church shot the gunman who later died from the gunshot wound he recieved from churches neighbor.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #400
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I know...my only point was to counter lambo's post that places where there is a better chance that the general public is armed, somehow deters people from going on mass rampage shootings.

Texas is gun central...everyone is packing there...didn't deter this guy from killing 26 people...
Old 02-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #401
boxcar

Quote:
I know...my only point was to counter lambo's post that places where there is a better chance that the general public is armed, somehow deters people from going on mass rampage shootings.

Texas is gun central...everyone is packing there...didn't deter this guy from killing 26 people...
"Everyone", huh? And no doubt 24/7, as well?

And Texas is "gun central"? Really? Texas ranks 15 in terms of having the most liberal gun laws. Arizona ranks 1. Alaska ranks 2. These two states must rank gun mania.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-t...n-owners-2015/

Heck...even Swampland ranks ahead of Texax.

Texas didn't even make it into the top 9 on this site:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/s...tml/?a=viewall
Old 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #402
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

And Texas is "gun central"? Really? Texas ranks 15 in terms of having the most liberal gun laws. Arizona ranks 1. Alaska ranks 2. These two states must rank gun mania.

Not sure about "gun central," but now I'm pretty sure where "dick central" is...

You're a literalist...I forgot...everything has to be spelled out for you...literary techniques such as hyperbole, to make a point, is lost on you...sorry about that. I'll dumb it down for you in the future. Duly noted.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #403
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

that survey got to be completely wrong. i have no idea how they could possibly place Vermont 2nd behind Arizona. i have been to both and i would bet you Vermont has at least 10 times more guns than Arizona and Texas put together. those people there are very proficient in shooting their guns as well. mass killers stay away from Vermont because they know they are going down.

i am going to rate Vermont as the safest place to go to school
Old 02-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #404
boxcar

Quote:
Not sure about "gun central," but now I'm pretty sure where "dick central" is...

You're a literalist...I forgot...everything has to be spelled out for you...literary techniques such as hyperbole, to make a point, is lost on you...sorry about that. I'll dumb it down for you in the future. Duly noted.
I'm not so sure you know much of where anything is.

But yes I noticed your hyperbole and chuckled. Pretty desperate straw-clutching to make a very lame point about a state that isn't even in the top 10 of lax gun laws.

I guess it was hyperbole, too, when you said "everyone is packing", heh?

And was it hyperbole, too, when you ASSumed that everyone or maybe even someone was packing heat inside that Texas church, or was that just a pain ol' stupid assumption?

As I recall, you're not too good at analogies, as I had to correct you on one several years ago. Here's a clue for you, Mr. Admin: If you're going to try to draw an analogy between more liberal gun states and very restrictive ones to show that there is little or no difference in tragic outcomes when shootings occur in both types of states, then it would behoove you to make certain that in the specific location of the more liberal state that there were actually armed people in that place. Your analogy, then, would carry a wee bit more credibility. Just sayin'...

Thanks again, for making me look so smart. I'm starting to feel indebted to you.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #405
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Saw a piece on the news the other night about a school in Colorado where they have a program for teachers to carry concealed after a three day training course in handling/shooing the gun and reacting to a mass shooter in action. The names of the teachers not revealed.

Sounds smart - trained in specifics to a mass shooting.
No matter the gun control laws, as Wayne Lapierre pointed out this week, schools are soft target for shooters. City Hall, football games, malls, all are harder targets.

It is really sad we need to have teachers carry guns to protect out kids, but even sadder to have not carrying.