Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
SG4

Junior Alvarado - Belmont's 7th on 7/15

Considering the bashing of NYRA jockeys & other race fixing conspiracies that go on with this board, I'm surprised nobody has brought up Belmont's 7th race today and the less than enthusiastic ride delivered by Junior Alvarado in the final 1/8th of a mile aboard Blacktype. Considering he missed 2nd by a head & barely won a bob for 3rd, it was very curious to see a perceived lack of effort.

Then about 10 minutes after this race finishes they announce for the first time that there's a late jockey change & he's off his mount in the 8th race (the favorite). Watching the replay it looks like he pulls up weird like something's bothering his left arm. Does anybody have any info if there was an injury or something else to account for this string of events?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Wow that looked ugly. Yikes.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Striker

David Grening said on twitter that Junior's shoulder popped out of the joint when he went to use the whip on Blacktype. He was taken to first aid and it is now popped back in, and he will ride thursday.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

I think if you're too injured to urge a horse I think you need some recovery time to protect the bettors, who's to say this wont happen again tomorrow?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Valuist

A couple things about the race. That was a damned tough allowance race. Basically a Grade 3 masquerading as an allowance.

But it looked real, real bad. I saw the part about the shoulder injury. Is that supposed to make everything OK? Imagine if you needed the 9 for 2nd in the exacta. Excuse or not, its not good for the game because the perception was it looked like he didn't want to win (or even run second).

I think SRU is right. If I was a steward I'd call him in and tell him I'd give him a warning this time, but injury or not, he'd be getting days the next time it happened.

Last edited by Valuist; 07-16-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
A couple things about the race. That was a damned tough allowance race. Basically a Grade 3 masquerading as an allowance.

But it looked real, real bad. I saw the part about the shoulder injury. Is that supposed to make everything OK? Imagine if you needed the 9 for 2nd in the exacta. Excuse or not, its not good for the game because the perception was it looked like he didn't want to win (or even run second).
This guy has a habit of not riding thru the wire, i would find it much easier to accept a medical excuse if A) the guy has a history of riding every mount thru the wire and B) he missed days after the injury, if you ride the next day it looks like youre lying.

But we know this is a horsemans game, Nothing will ever happen to them, this guy could fail to urge his next 100 mounts and there wont ever be a 1 penny fine or a 1 minute suspension.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
This guy has a habit of not riding thru the wire, i would find it much easier to accept a medical excuse if A) the guy has a history of riding every mount thru the wire and B) he missed days after the injury, if you ride the next day it looks like youre lying.

But we know this is a horsemans game, Nothing will ever happen to them, this guy could fail to urge his next 100 mounts and there wont ever be a 1 penny fine or a 1 minute suspension.
When sports betting is legalized and that day IS coming it will be a huge blow to racing, and maybe at that point, the horsemen will realize the errors of their ways. But then again, they probably won't.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:

I think SRU is right. If I was a steward I'd call him in and tell him I'd give him a warning this time, but injury or not, he'd be getting days the next time it happened.
Off with Junior's head !
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

I would have a simple policy, if you want to use the i couldnt ride out my mount due to injury excuse, i would require a much tougher standard to be cleared to ride again after 7 mandatory days off to recover.

If you suffer a serious enough injury that you cant ride out a mount, how is that fair to the players if youre back riding the next day?
Old 07-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Valuist

Quote:
I would have a simple policy, if you want to use the i couldnt ride out my mount due to injury excuse, i would require a much tougher standard to be cleared to ride again after 7 mandatory days off to recover.

If you suffer a serious enough injury that you cant ride out a mount, how is that fair to the players if youre back riding the next day?
And "going to the first aid tent" isn't sufficient. We have no idea who's back there or what happened. Medical trainers? A doctor? Maybe he just got a drink of water.

I'm not trying to imply he was faking the injury, but going to the first aid tent and then claiming you are ok does not create confidence from the public that he had a reason to stiff the horse late in the race. Like it or not, perception is everything.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
And "going to the first aid tent" isn't sufficient. We have no idea who's back there or what happened. Medical trainers? A doctor? Maybe he just got a drink of water.

I'm not trying to imply he was faking the injury, but going to the first aid tent and then claiming you are ok does not create confidence from the public that he had a reason to stiff the horse late in the race. Like it or not, perception is everything.
Exactly. I would have a much easier time "buying" this if he missed time going fwd.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Exactly. I would have a much easier time "buying" this if he missed time going fwd.
Exactly
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Exactly
Even if he misses ONE DAY i would buy it. (and its not like me to buy what jocks are selling).
Old 07-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

How do we know it didn't happen during the race?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #15
Ruffian1

Quote:

Horsemen and track management are two different groups.

Please recognize which group is involved. This is clearly stewards and management NOT horsemen. and that is probably what you meant but with all the grief I hear about horsemen, plenty of which is justified, this is a management issue all the way.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply