Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #1
ultracapper

Undercover Boss

A TV show where the owner of a company disguises him/herself and works in different departments, getting input from employees that are unaware that they are talking with the owner/CEO.

Tonight, 9PM PDT in Seattle, the CEO of Churchill Downs is featured. Gonna watch this one.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

I'm a fan of the show, I think I've seen this episode but I don't remember much about it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
NY BRED
GARY

Undercover Boss

thanks for the advice.

fyi, guide states Bill Carstanjen has a fear of horses

I've identical issue with Stewards

Last edited by NY BRED; 04-24-2016 at 05:25 AM.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #4
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I'm a fan of the show, I think I've seen this episode but I don't remember much about it.
This is the episode that made me quit watching this program.

It is absolutely cringeworthy, and explains fully why horse racing is in the state it is in with moronic nitwits like this in charge.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32

It is absolutely cringeworthy, and explains fully why horse racing is in the state it is in with moronic nitwits like this in charge.
Haven't seen this....missed it. Whens the "replay"? Because looking at how racing is going I probably would not disagree with you.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
A TV show where the owner of a company disguises him/herself and works in different departments, getting input from employees that are unaware that they are talking with the owner/CEO.

Tonight, 9PM PDT in Seattle, the CEO of Churchill Downs is featured. Gonna watch this one.
its an old episode. Guy comes off pretty out of touch
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
its an old episode. Guy comes off pretty out of touch
It's when the guy decides that he has to learn to play the bugle that really made me lose it.

If this is what the guy thinks is important then I just give up...and he did seem to think it was very important.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
MonmouthParkJoe

It is an old episode. Watched it not too long ago on netflix. have to agree with much of what has been said on here already
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Here's the guy talking about the show and this episode in an interview w local news station.

[YT=""]bP0RZNyGIMo[/YT]
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
I used to watch this show too. But how does any coworker not know a camera is following around a 'new' employee? Watch some of the scenes again.The show is too fake and scripted.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
MutuelClerk

Why shouldn't he be out of touch? I'm sure that's how he got his job. All of horse racing is out of touch.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32

What did you expect to get from somebody who worked for General Electric and GE Capital before being hired by CDI? I highly doubt that he even stepped foot into a racetrack before coming over to CDI.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
ultracapper

Agree with most comments here. This guy is a pencil pushing bean counter, which is what CDI is about. He is the embodiment of what they are about. A company with hard assets looking for ways to maximize them. Horse racing is not what their business is about, it's asset management, pure and simple. I'm sure CDI spends way more time working with state legislatures trying to mold ways to open up opportunities to maximize the ultimate disbursement of properties than they spend on their horse racing product.

He was a lot more comfortable with the horses at the end of the week than when he started, which was about the only saving grace of the whole episode. I'm sure it hasn't changed his viewpoint on his job any, however.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply