Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Did Restoring Hope help Justify tactically in the Belmont...?

Shortly before the Belmont Stakes was run...my track buddies and I discussed what pace roles Restoring Hope and Noble Indy would play out...I suggested that Restoring Hope would be used tactically to block other horses trying to challenge the lead of Justify, by gatekeeping the 2,3, and 4 path near the front, and that Noble Indy would not likely challenge Justify up front...
...My friends scoffed, and asked me if Baffert really needs such tactics in order for a Justify victory?

Still I wondered why Restoring Hope was in the race...as it turned out, Restoring Hope did exactly that, weaving out and in, before just plain dropping out of it like an impediment anchor in the way of other horses coming on late...if you read the race charts, that’s just how it played out...while Noble Indy ran a hugely uninteresting tactical race and finished dismally, last in fact...from my point of view, it appears these horses were never intended to disrupt the making of history by Justify...any thoughts?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
So far all the talk has been about the "other" Pletcher horse. The one horse I see no reason for being in the race happens to be the "other" Baffert horse. Maybe Restoring Hope is in here to counter Noble Indy. Their pace ratings are very close. He is drawn inside of NI, so he just goes out and stays inside of NI, maybe even keeping him wide through the first turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Shortly before the Belmont Stakes was run...my track buddies and I discussed what pace roles Restoring Hope and Noble Indy would play out...I suggested that Restoring Hope would be used tactically to block other horses trying to challenge the lead of Justify, by gatekeeping the 2,3, and 4 path near the front, and that Noble Indy would not likely challenge Justify up front...
...My friends scoffed, and asked me if Baffert really needs such tactics in order for a Justify victory?

Still I wondered why Restoring Hope was in the race...as it turned out, Restoring Hope did exactly that, weaving out and in, before just plain dropping out of it like an impediment anchor in the way of other horses coming on late...if you read the race charts, that’s just how it played out...while Noble Indy ran a hugely uninteresting tactical race and finished dismally, last in fact...from my point of view, it appears these horses were never intended to disrupt the making of history by Justify...any thoughts?
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Nobody got a chance to change history. Mikey went out like a shot and won the race old school.

It was a great performance all things considered and nobody had the talent to interfere or challenge. I’m glad that GhostZapper has his name in the pedigree that will be examined throughout history.

Justify reminded me of him just a little today.......
Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #4
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post

I wish Restoring Hope wouldn’t have been in the race. FloGo taking him to the hot dog stand on the first turn is a bad look.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
I wish Restoring Hope wouldn’t have been in the race. FloGo taking him to the hot dog stand on the first turn is a bad look.
agree, and Noble Indy didnt have enough out of the gate to do much anyways.

Didnt change anything, just not a good look.

Of course the whole coupling issue was in play with two sets of connections in this field.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #6
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
agree, and Noble Indy didnt have enough out of the gate to do much anyways.

Didnt change anything, just not a good look.

Of course the whole coupling issue was in play with two sets of connections in this field.
Coupled or uncoupled wouldn’t help in this situation, because we all know who was the horse most well intended...

And yes it didn’t change a thing but just a bad bad bad look.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
Coupled or uncoupled wouldn’t help in this situation, because we all know who was the horse most well intended...

And yes it didn’t change a thing but just a bad bad bad look.
Just a tad more than a bad look...sorry to say...watch the head-on replay at NYRA website...Down the stretch Javy and Florent are having their own little conversation while the race is still running...It looks like they are looking toward the infield at maybe a big screen or something...from the looks of it, they did their job...Hope and Indy herded the field behind Justify and kept the lid on tight until the top of the lane, when both just folded...but it sure does look that way...if you take the time to look...One can only wonder what they were discussing before the race was even over...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 06-10-2018 at 01:16 AM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 02:55 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

So that's who Mike Smith was yelling "YOU DA MAN" and "THANK YOU" to on the backstretch after the pull-up...his minions who helped him win the race, right guys (and gal)?

Is every race fixed? Just curious...
Old 06-10-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
Reggae

He boxed Bravazo into the rail behind Justify until the last half mile. When Vino Rosso moved up to second Restoring Hope dropped out and was no longer needed. Bravazo couldn't see daylight until the end of the final turn and by that point he had run Baffert's race so long he had no chance. Restoring Hope unquestionably helped Justify.
Reggae is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #10
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae View Post
He boxed Bravazo into the rail behind Justify until the last half mile. When Vino Rosso moved up to second Restoring Hope dropped out and was no longer needed. Bravazo couldn't see daylight until the end of the final turn and by that point he had run Baffert's race so long he had no chance. Restoring Hope unquestionably helped Justify.
Going around the clubhouse turn, jock on Restoring Hope tugged the left rein to keep Bravazo pinned down inside Not sure that it made a difference, but it was pretty obvious they did not want a repeat of the Preakness where one entrant took it to Justify. So whether it did make a difference or not, it was pretty obvious that it was intentional.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
So, is Justify a good horse or did he beat the best of a bad crop? Maybe the BC can answer that.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
So, is Justify a good horse or did he beat the best of a bad crop? Maybe the BC can answer that.
Great question.

I got burned by going against him a bit, but didn't have an overall bad day, and it was memorable (the Spring Quality - Sadler's Joy exacta didn't hurt ).

It was the case that very few shooters really tried very hard, but he did something that I thought would be a little tougher for him in that spot. All of us who went against him were going for the fatigue and others rested angle, and he just did what he wanted. VR and Hofburg did exactly what we thought they would, really, tease the wise guys in us and ultimately, come up short. Gronkowski provided another mindless name or number bet for the masses ...
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
PaceMasterT

It sure wasn't a good look because he didn't get a ride like he was in there to get a "piece of it". I don't think you could have planned it any better. Come down on Hofburg then crazily shoot the gap outward between the 4 horses that broke better than you impeding Tenfold and then Noble Indy (not much, but both had to alter course and both were even with Justify until Restoring Hope shot up and through). Then, box in the one presser that got good position and settled behind Justify so that he became a victim of Justify slowing down the pace (23.37 24.74 25.10) without being able to move out and push the issue. When it was happening, I was thinking "what is this horse racing or hockey?"
That being said I don't know if it really mattered because none of these horses wanted anything to do with going out early with Justify and they all were pretty much able to settle into their comfortable positions. Bravazo was in position to go on with Justify and had used that style a couple times before, but Luis Saez elected to rate just behind Justify and not try to stay on his outside.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Bravazo got a dream trip on the rail running 3rd most of the race and he’s a closer! What the heck happened with him? Anyone in horse racing knows if a closer is placed in the second or third tier early on they usually blow away the fields. I would have expected nothing less then second from him.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Bravazo got a dream trip on the rail running 3rd most of the race and he’s a closer! What the heck happened with him? Anyone in horse racing knows if a closer is placed in the second or third tier early on they usually blow away the fields. I would have expected nothing less then second from him.
I don't think Bravazo is a closer in away real way, he was a couple lengths behind Justify and Good Magic down the backstretch in the Preakness and when the top two opened up in their duel of champions into the far turn he lost position, and then closed late, a dream scenario that was not likely to be repeated. His Risen Star he was right with the pace.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: