Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 2.20 average.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #1321
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I visit Greece on a semi-regular basis because I have close family there...but I don't see myself returning there for good. The "mentality" of the people there doesn't resemble my own...and I don't find myself particularly attracted to a country simply because it's my birthplace. I prefer to consider myself a "citizen of the world".
When I was 9 or 10 years old, my best friend and his family would visit Italy in the summer to the town his parents were born and raised. This went on for a few years.

When they left one summer I remember asking my mother why don't we go to Italy and visit our family too, just like Joseph. She said there was no reason to go there.

She told me that just before she married my dad her father said to her -- we are Americans now and America is our home. Raise the grandchildren American. We will keep our customs and Italian lifestyle in our home but forget Italy. Forget the pain and suffering. Forget the hunger. Forget the dirt. Our life is here -- in America.

My reasons may not be exactly like the reasons you gave, but I see similarities.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #1322
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Answer the first part of my question.
Well there are serious questions as to whether or not Trump is a tax cheat and fraud like Manafort a guy you, quite impressively, admit should be locked up.

So... that would be one reason.

For me... since I don't question he lies about his wealth... why wouldn't he? He lies about everything else... its mostly humor to me.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #1323
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
E:

My tax returns are no one's business.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #1324
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Who cares
Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #1325
thaskalos

Similarities indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
When I was 9 or 10 years old, my best friend and his family would visit Italy in the summer to the town his parents were born and raised. This went on for a few years.

When they left one summer I remember asking my mother why don't we go to Italy and visit our family too, just like Joseph. She said there was no reason to go there.

She told me that just before she married my dad her father said to her -- we are Americans now and America is our home. Raise the grandchildren American. We will keep our customs and Italian lifestyle in our home but forget Italy. Forget the pain and suffering. Forget the hunger. Forget the dirt. Our life is here -- in America.

My reasons may not be exactly like the reasons you gave, but I see similarities.
I was 12 when my 53-year old dad brought us to this country...and I remember a conversation that I had with him when I was 13 or 14. A program about ancient Greece was on the TV, and it led to us talking about the contributions that our country had made to the world's civilization. And this is what my father said to me:

"Son...our country has the richest history, and has made immense contributions to the civilized world. But...don't take too much pride in what Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Alexander the Great have accomplished. The ancient Greeks have done their work...and now it's time for us to do ours. We love our country, of course...but we also shouldn't forget that we packed up and left because we couldn't make it there. We were going hungry in Greece, and America opened her doors and let us in...and gave us a chance to set up our home in safety and relative comfort. Your mother and I may work hard in America...but at least here we have a job to go to. So...keep Greece close to your heart...but also remember that your country is, where your HOME is."

Smart cookie, my dad...and he only had 8 years of formal schooling. His over-educated son would do well if he turned out to be HALF as smart.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:37 AM   #1326
MargieRose

Quote:
I was 12 when my 53-year old dad brought us to this country...and I remember a conversation that I had with him when I was 13 or 14. A program about ancient Greece was on the TV, and it led to us talking about the contributions that our country had made to the world's civilization. And this is what my father said to me:

"Son...our country has the richest history, and has made immense contributions to the civilized world. But...don't take too much pride in what Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Alexander the Great have accomplished. The ancient Greeks have done their work...and now it's time for us to do ours. We love our country, of course...but we also shouldn't forget that we packed up and left because we couldn't make it there. We were going hungry in Greece, and America opened her doors and let us in...and gave us a chance to set up our home in safety and relative comfort. Your mother and I may work hard in America...but at least here we have a job to go to. So...keep Greece close to your heart...but also remember that your country is, where your HOME is."

Smart cookie, my dad...and he only had 8 years of formal schooling. His over-educated son would do well if he turned out to be HALF as smart.
Your father was immensely wise! Now, if only those trying to migrate to our country today from wherever would also feel the same appreciation for what they will now label as home, but, unfortunately, for the most part, I don't get the impression that they will...and I resent that!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 03:50 AM   #1327
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Your father was immensely wise! Now, if only those trying to migrate to our country today from wherever would also feel the same appreciation for what they will now label as home, but, unfortunately, for the most part, I don't get the impression that they will...and I resent that!
I wish you were exposed to as many immigrants as I am. Then, you would surely change your mind about the level of "appreciation" that the immigrants have for this country.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #1328
woodtoo

We have loads of immigrants here, primarily Asian and they are highly appreciative to work and go to school.
We appreciate these immigrants contribution to our society. Some of the friendliest people I know.

As an animal lover I was pleasantly surprised when my backyard neighbor came home with a beautiful purebred Samoyed Husky
he looks so proud when he walks her.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #1329
davew

Quote:
I wish you were exposed to as many immigrants as I am. Then, you would surely change your mind about the level of "appreciation" that the immigrants have for this country.
Do you have much exposure to those that have arrived during last couple years?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #1330
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Do you have much exposure to those that have arrived during last couple years?
Probably more than you have.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #1331
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
come down here to near the border and I'll change your mind. But we are probably talking completely different "home countries"
Old 03-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #1332
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
come down here to near the border and I'll change your mind. But we are probably talking completely different "home countries"
It's different everywhere. Cheyenne is much different than Denver and so on.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #1333
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Sorry I'm not spreading rumor/conspiracy about Mueller and pedophiles, SHE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO LOSE, and INSURANCE POLICY, like the cool kids here.

You and LDH have pretty funny and feeble redirects.
Funny, now the INSURANCE POLICY is a rumor/conspiracy? Might want to rethink that.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 PM   #1334
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Funny, now the INSURANCE POLICY is a rumor/conspiracy? Might want to rethink that.
It seems dims have a different version of reality.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #1335
elysiantraveller

Campaign 2.0: More lies and even less coherent.

Trump now says he never wanted new ObamaCare replacement vote

I wonder if he'll take a trip like Beto to "reconnect" and "find himself"... he could go visit his father's birthplace in Germany.