Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
098poi

Good luck to you Barry. Hope you stay in good health!! You may have more time to post on here now.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
riskman

A true professional with a broad resume as a thoroughbred and harness handicapper with good literary and money management skills to boot. Read a lot of your newsletters, articles and books.
The best to you, and appreciate all your contributions. Hope your health improves.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #18
njcurveball

Good luck to you Barry. Your health comes first! You are doing the right thing.

Jim
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #19
dinque

thank you barry.....
dinque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
jamey1977

A Second Thought ? Barry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinque
thank you barry.....
I still want to read all of the works. Now why is this. ? The game is as stressful as hell? Why doesn't Barry attempt to do what Jim Quinn was doing for years on the Santa Anita Circuit- Playing one of the Top 3 Picks to win. Much easier on the heart. You have a hit rate. Perspiring over a 14 to 1 is as nerve wracking as hell. Jim Quinn was getting 35 percent winners at 7 dollars average. But Jim has since stopped doing that too. Why is everyone stopping ? Has the work not been proven? The methods we have all worked on are still valid and so are Barry's - Barry said his overlays guarantee a 7 to 10 percent profit. I believe that is still valid. Now has there been long losing streaks? How about maintaining the method and seeing why these losing streaks occurred ? . A few D.Q rules can make everything valid again. Jim Quinn was also betting with very few D.Q rules. Maybe 5, no wonder there were so many losses. My only complaint is, if you see why these losing streaks occur maybe something can be done about it. What gets me is why are all of these intelligent sharp horseplayers and lecturers and writers quitting the game ? Or at least quitting puting money down. Even Dick Mitchell quit at the end. All of us who want to make a living or dream of making a living at this game are left out to dry. Sets a very bad example. Don't Quit
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #21
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1977
I still want to read all of the works. Now why is this. ? The game is as stressful as hell? Why doesn't Barry attempt to do what Jim Quinn was doing for years on the Santa Anita Circuit- Playing one of the Top 3 Picks to win. Much easier on the heart. You have a hit rate. Perspiring over a 14 to 1 is as nerve wracking as hell. Jim Quinn was getting 35 percent winners at 7 dollars average. But Jim has since stopped doing that too. Why is everyone stopping ? Has the work not been proven? The methods we have all worked on are still valid and so are Barry's - Barry said his overlays guarantee a 7 to 10 percent profit. I believe that is still valid. Now has there been long losing streaks? How about maintaining the method and seeing why these losing streaks occurred ? . A few D.Q rules can make everything valid again. Jim Quinn was also betting with very few D.Q rules. Maybe 5, no wonder there were so many losses. My only complaint is, if you see why these losing streaks occur maybe something can be done about it. What gets me is why are all of these intelligent sharp horseplayers and lecturers and writers quitting the game ? Or at least quitting puting money down. Even Dick Mitchell quit at the end. All of us who want to make a living or dream of making a living at this game are left out to dry. Sets a very bad example. Don't Quit
Sometimes your body just can't handle the stress. This is like a pro athlete not being able to play the sport he loves because his body failed him. Elite horse players are SO hard on themselves because perfection is a must, its very easy to beat yourself up over small mistakes and stress yourself out.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #22
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Try playing full time once, you'll know why.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Given Barry's circumstances, fortunately your selfishness and lack of personal respect do not factor into what is best for Mr. Meadow.

Contrary to your view, this situation is NOT about YOU and what is best for YOU.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
Dr Jersey Jim

Thank you for inspiring me for 20 years Barry.

I'm looking forward to the publication of The Skeptical Handicapper.

JJ
Dr Jersey Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
classhandicapper

Quote:
Why doesn't Barry attempt to do what Jim Quinn was doing for years on the Santa Anita Circuit- Playing one of the Top 3 Picks to win. Much easier on the heart. You have a hit rate. Perspiring over a 14 to 1 is as nerve wracking as hell. Jim Quinn was getting 35 percent winners at 7 dollars average. But Jim has since stopped doing that too.
Does anyone know what Quinn is doing these days?

I haven't seen any articles or heard anything about him in about two years.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
castaway01

Quote:
Jamey, the idea of you telling Barry Meadow what he should be doing is, at best, ludicrous.

Thanks to Barry for all his hard work for horseplayers over the years. My best to you in retirement.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Hi Jamey...

If I am not mistaken...you had mentioned in an old post of yours that you had sold a couple of screenplays to Hollywood movie makers.

Were they comedies?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #28
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Barry,

Best wishes my friend. Here's hoping you and your wife can now thoroughly enjoy that long and very much deserved happy retirement.

-jp

Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
jamey1977

ha ha ah ah ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Jamey, the idea of you telling Barry Meadow what he should be doing is, at best, ludicrous.

Thanks to Barry for all his hard work for horseplayers over the years. My best to you in retirement.
Will say anything. Come back Barry, we need you. LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
Not4Love
not4love

Stress??

I played full time for a little over a year. Yes, it's stressful. But if I was able to keep winning I'd still be doing it. He is obviously not winning . I no longer play the game myself. I guess you can call it retirement, but I'm just as comfortable saying I quit.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: