Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #46
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Here's another one.

Not sure how many people will remember his debut in 1990, but Le Prince. I can't remember the Beyer figure, but it was huge. I was making my own figures at the time.
Almost listed that horse but to me he basically turned into a joke; ridiculously hyped I think he ever ran & then they ridiculously had him entered in the Travers off that lone, long-time-coming maiden win.

Scratched & never ran again.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 09:51 AM   #47
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
TARAZ - I remember how she towered over the rest of the Cox horses when I saw them schooling her in the OP paddock prior to the Martha Washington (2/1/20). That was her final win in a 3 for 3 career. I had been impressed by everything I'd seen of her. The whole Cox team was visibly shaken during the race card following the morning of her breakdown.
Thanks.

The Frankel-trained filly was from 2006.

Phantom Rose, by Danzig (another in this thread), out of Honesty Lady. Ran in Europe with minor success. Won her US debut on the all weather at Hollywood, setting a track record for 8.5f (though it might have been the first meet to have the synthetic track). Was supposed to run in the La Brea at Santa Anita but was severely injured when she jumped the rail in a training accident & could not be saved.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:41 AM   #48
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
TARAZ - I remember how she towered over the rest of the Cox horses when I saw them schooling her in the OP paddock prior to the Martha Washington (2/1/20). That was her final win in a 3 for 3 career. I had been impressed by everything I'd seen of her. The whole Cox team was visibly shaken during the race card following the morning of her breakdown.
Man, completely forgot about her.

3 races and off odds of 1/2, 2/5, and 1/9. She was not a secret.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 05-23-2023 at 10:42 AM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #49
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post

What other horses in the past could have been great?

What a Song

seems suitable for this list

For while 3-for-3 Baffert sprinters apparently do grow on trees, this one thumped the eventual two-year-old champion in first and second starts and then won in the clear third time out with a 104 Beyer.

Upon reflection, the fact that he was gone a few days after that may become more than a mere footnote, but for now, "could have been great"
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 01:45 PM   #50
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Almost listed that horse but to me he basically turned into a joke; ridiculously hyped I think he ever ran & then they ridiculously had him entered in the Travers off that lone, long-time-coming maiden win.

Scratched & never ran again.
I had a racetrack buddy at the time that was very close to Imperio. It sounded like they all thought the horse was legit, but had issues. It has been a long time, but I think the horse died not too long after that debut. I vaguely remember asking him the status of the horse and was told he was dead but wasn't given any details. It wasn't that long after the race, but I could be wrong. My memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:00 PM   #51
dilanesp

Most of the ones I was going to say (Melair, McLean's Music, Landaluce) have already been said, but three haven't.

1. Formal Gold. His races in New York, to my eye and looking at Beyers as well, show him with more raw talent than any of the other top horses of that period, including Cigar, Holy Bull, Skip Away, Silver Charm, etc. If Formal Gold had not gotten injured, he probably would have won the Breeders' Cup Classic (which Skip Away ended up winning impressively), Horse of the Year, and God knows what else. He might have actually turned out to be the best handicap horse of the 1990's.

2. Captain Bodgit. He was at the same level as Silver Charm and Free House at the time of the Triple Crown. And you saw what those two went on to do.

3. Gen. Duke. Similar to Captain Bodgit- he was going to be the Derby favorite in the greatest 3 year old crop in American history- Gallant Man, Round Table, and Bold Ruler. Who knows how good he might have been?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #52
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

1. Formal Gold. His races in New York, to my eye and looking at Beyers as well, show him with more raw talent than any of the other top horses of that period, including Cigar, Holy Bull, Skip Away, Silver Charm, etc. If Formal Gold had not gotten injured, he probably would have won the Breeders' Cup Classic (which Skip Away ended up winning impressively), Horse of the Year, and God knows what else. He might have actually turned out to be the best handicap horse of the 1990's.
The late '90s exploits of Touch Gold and Formal Gold stepping up to beat some of my favorites (in races I attended in person to cheer on those favorites) created in me an aversion to horses with Gold in their name that is only beginning to dissipate these last few years.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 05:03 PM   #53
kyle r

Grand Canyon and Left Bank both ran so big they bounced to their deaths
kyle r is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 06:34 PM   #54
SBD400

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Most of the ones I was going to say (Melair, McLean's Music, Landaluce) have already been said, but three haven't.

2. Captain Bodgit. He was at the same level as Silver Charm and Free House at the time of the Triple Crown. And you saw what those two went on to do.

3. Gen. Duke. Similar to Captain Bodgit- he was going to be the Derby favorite in the greatest 3 year old crop in American history- Gallant Man, Round Table, and Bold Ruler. Who knows how good he might have been?
Formal Gold was a great horse, I definitely preferred him over Skip Away. Bill Perry was a really good trainer and a real gentleman.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 06:42 PM   #55
kyle r

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Here's another one.

Not sure how many people will remember his debut in 1990, but Le Prince. I can't remember the Beyer figure, but it was huge. I was making my own figures at the time.
I remember Schettino talking like he eas going to enter him in The Travers off that maiden win. It was kind of “scandalous” almost at the time. Things like that were not done. Now horses with three starts take The Derby left and right.
kyle r is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 06:59 PM   #56
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle r View Post
I remember Schettino talking like he eas going to enter him in The Travers off that maiden win. It was kind of “scandalous” almost at the time. Things like that were not done. Now horses with three starts take The Derby left and right.
He did enter him in the Travers.

Scratched because it was too hot outside or something like that.

Also, might have been entered in the Gotham as a first time starter, or at least that's what the owners wanted to do.

Last edited by Spalding No!; 05-23-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:02 PM   #57
the little guy

Quote:
He did enter him in the Travers.

Scratched because it was too hot outside or something like that.

Also, might have been entered in the Gotham as a first time starter, or at least that's what the owners wanted to do.
He was also trained by Dominick Imperio.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2023, 07:03 PM   #58
Robert Fischer
clean money

Initially thought Life is Good was going to win the Triple Crown.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:06 PM   #59
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
He was also trained by Dominick Imperio.
I saw that; but I'm one of those people who gives partial credit.

And I looked it up; he was actually entered (and scratched) in the 1990 Gotham as a first time starter against the likes of Thirsty Six Red and 2yo champion Rhythm.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:07 PM   #60
the little guy

Quote:
I saw that; but I'm one of those people who gives partial credit.

And I looked it up; he was actually entered (and scratched) in the 1990 Gotham as a first time starter against the likes of Thirsty Six Red and 2yo champion Rhythm.
Thirty Six Red was pretty good...with or without the S.

Rhythm is the answer to what trivia question?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: