Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #16
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What do you think of the addition of blinkers to Angel of Empire?

Kind of flirting with disaster IMO. He's handy enough to stay in contact if the pace is slow already. Don't really want to see him changing his running style too much.

It didn't work for Red Route One when he added blinkers 3 back & certainly didn't help him when he changed style & tried to stay close in the Preakness (Rosario also made a stupid early move, too, perhaps still stinging from the criticism of his ride in last year's Preakness).

And a changed in running style didn't help Mage in the Preakness, either. Mage reverted to the stalking style he used in the Fountain of Youth, where he ran one-paced. Not surprisingly, same result at Pimlico.

These trainers need to stay out of the way of their horses and just go with it. If you're that worried about the pace scenario than enter one of your other 200+ horses, preferably one with some speed...
You are correct, it could be a valid concern. However, I simply believe that he is going to be within a few lengths of the lead with about a half mile of running remaining in the race. He always shows up and I like his chances. If Forte wins, I tip my hat to both the horse and his connections. I really like Angel of Empire in here if he is 5/2 or better. This horse always brings his best effort to the show. I firmly believe that he will stay in close enough contact with the front that he will be a very tough hombre to deal with in the final stages of the race.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2023, 06:33 PM   #17
garywpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What do you think of the addition of blinkers to Angel of Empire?

Kind of flirting with disaster IMO. He's handy enough to stay in contact if the pace is slow already. Don't really want to see him changing his running style too much.

It didn't work for Red Route One when he added blinkers 3 back & certainly didn't help him when he changed style & tried to stay close in the Preakness (Rosario also made a stupid early move, too, perhaps still stinging from the criticism of his ride in last year's Preakness).

And a changed in running style didn't help Mage in the Preakness, either. Mage reverted to the stalking style he used in the Fountain of Youth, where he ran one-paced. Not surprisingly, same result at Pimlico.

These trainers need to stay out of the way of their horses and just go with it. If you're that worried about the pace scenario than enter one of your other 200+ horses, preferably one with some speed...
I saw an interview with Cox where he said that Angel of Empire ALWAYS trains with blinkers on. So if that's true the blinkers on in the race may not bother him if he is used to them. But I was always told an equipment change was not a good sign so hopefully they don't effect him cause he was my main bet.
garywpt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2023, 07:14 PM   #18
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywpt View Post
I saw an interview with Cox where he said that Angel of Empire ALWAYS trains with blinkers on. So if that's true the blinkers on in the race may not bother him if he is used to them. But I was always told an equipment change was not a good sign so hopefully they don't effect him cause he was my main bet.
I saw that, thanks & I have the same concerns as you. Also, I believe Cox says he did it at the behest of Flavien Prat. The fact that Prat, being a jockey, essentially made the call has me even more worried...Too much tinkering on a horse that already knows how to win.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

I don't think Baffert has an Authentic type of move up relevant to all the others with the same drugs, unless it's in the f&m division

forte or angel of empire seem likely and short prices
Old 06-09-2023, 04:43 PM   #20
dballard125

I'm spreading and not investing a lot. Try to get lucky and double or triple my investment.

$1 tri ($20 bet)
w/ w/

50 cent tri ($2.50 bet)
w/ w/

50 cent tri ($2.50 bet)
w/ w/

$1 exacta ($6 bet)
w/

$5 exacta ($10 bet)
w/

$41 total investment

Last edited by dballard125; 06-09-2023 at 04:48 PM.
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #21
jocko699
Resurrectionist

I was all in with Hit Show in the KD. I'm all in with Arcangelo here.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 06:53 PM   #22
PalaceOfFortLarned

Gonna completely fade Forte. Yes, he is 6 for 7 lifetime with 3 G1 wins, with a great Belmont trainer, and the leading NYRA jockey in the irons.

His 3YO season hasn't quite gone to plan after the Florida Derby, and 2+ months away with 12F to roll? I actually think Angel of Empire will contend for favoritism when the gates open.

Taking Arcangelo to WP. His last 2 fit with anybody in here. Granted, he didn't smoke the Peter Pan field like he maybe should have, but it was a pedestrian pace in which he had to pass the entire field (albeit just 5 others).

Underneath I'll be using Tapit Trice who should get a much better trip than he did in the Derby, and Angel of Empire who runs an honest race every time out.

Don't mind Hit Show as he ran a very nice race in the Derby. Also will include Red Route One. He is simply a plodder, and could finish up 3rd/4th in here with what should be a much more honest pace than the Preakness.

WP

EX Box
w/ Ex

w/ w/ TRI
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post

His 3YO season hasn't quite gone to plan after the Florida Derby, and 2+ months away with 12F to roll? I actually think Angel of Empire will contend for favoritism when the gates open.
are the 2-day doubles showing this?, or is there another information source that leads you to believe this? or is it a guess?

Forte was set to be the Derby favorite.
Seemed like the scratch was as much a pressure/public-relations thing as it was any type of unsoundness.

AOE ran great in the derby (probably 2nd or 3rd best after Two Phils/Mage), but it wasn't something overly flashy.

There is a plenty of room for me to be uninformed, which is why I ask of the Doubles or other leaked info.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #24
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
are the 2-day doubles showing this?, or is there another information source that leads you to believe this? or is it a guess?

Forte was set to be the Derby favorite.
Seemed like the scratch was as much a pressure/public-relations thing as it was any type of unsoundness.

AOE ran great in the derby (probably 2nd or 3rd best after Two Phils/Mage), but it wasn't something overly flashy.

There is a plenty of room for me to be uninformed, which is why I ask of the Doubles or other leaked info.
Early Will Pays from the Gold Cup Double show Forte as $41, and AOE and TT at $48.

Forte may well end up being favored, but it won't be by much.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...takes-wagering
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 08:49 PM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Early Will Pays from the Gold Cup Double show Forte as $41, and AOE and TT at $48.

Forte may well end up being favored, but it won't be by much.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...takes-wagering
thanks. Wasn't trying to be a smart alec, was interested in whether you had an angle/info.

I'm half surprised that TT is so well backed.

He was a takeout reduction for the Derby - He needs an adequate amount of time/ clear-run to join the party in order to contend in races, and didn't figure to get that given derby traffic+pace.

However, I'm not sure that TT is as 'fast' or 'good' as Forte or AOE to begin with. He's more in that B/C group around wherever Hit Show belongs IMHO.

I get that he was a beloved gray for Pletcher during the Derby trail, and I get that his sire made him a "if all else fails... Belmont" horse for that fanbase, but I'm not attracted at anything less than a mid-range price.

Jose Ortiz was SUPERB with Nest last year to rush-up inside, and that's exactly what Tapit Trice needs again here. The pace is projected(TFUS) a little faster than I expect at a glance + some figuring. If the pace is truly that fast- it makes Tapit Trice work on the backstretch (rather than the run to the first turn), and to me that calls for more margin of safety even if you like him.
National Treasure figures to set. But I do not think that Tapit Shoes for Cox Spendthrift/Dubb/etc... is in to all-out 'duel' National Treasure. I see it more like they are taking a legit winning chance after a strong race at Oaklawn. These owners aren't eager to sacrifice, although they'll play ball and soften the pace some.

*I don't know if this makes sense, or where I'm thinking ... I'm battling some demons and not feeling well

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 06-09-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 09:36 PM   #26
Nitro

After reviewing the PP’s, I’m leaning at the moment toward keying the 3 and 6 with the 8,2,4 for vertical play.

My final betting choices and type of bets will be based on the live tote analysis and how odds values shape up.

GL
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2023, 10:05 PM   #27
zico20

The Belmont looks like the Preakness all over again. The race is totally devoid of any speed. I wouldn't be surprised if 6F went in 115. I do believe Forte will be the 2-1 favorite, maybe 5-2. Here is how I see it from best to worse.

National Treasure will be loping along all alone and has a good shot to wire this field. He certainly has no quit in him.

Angel Of Empire is the obvious one to put in the gimmicks. I see the winner being one of these two.

Forte may be the most talented in the race but the 10 week layoff is a huge concern plus missing some workouts doesn't help.

Here is where I see the separation from the top three to the next two.

Hit Show I worry about the distance plus the Wood wasn't a key race. His plus is he will be sitting in the perfect spot ahead of the closers. With a slow pace he could hold on for 3rd or 4th.

Tapit Trice I am not a big fan of for whatever reason. His Derby was just plain bad, no excuse not to run better. I think he is no better than third.

Red Route One actually ran slower early in the Preakness than he did in the race before. No, Rosario didn't have him to close, he gave him a chance to win with that pedestrian pace. He just couldn't make up any ground as the top three were flying through the stretch. Worry same thing is coming this time. He is a plodder for the most part that is hard to endorse except for maybe fourth.

Arcangelo is in a world of trouble against this group. He has little speed and won't hold off the closers when they start to move. Toss from the super!

Tapit Shoes is simply too cheap and too slow to contend for anything.

Miracolo shouldn't be in the race, period!

I am putting National Treasure and Angel of Empire on top and if Forte beats me then he beats me. I am betting $520 into the race.

$80 tris with with that is $320

$20 supers with with with that is $160

$10 supers with with with that is $40

If I lose I still had a great Triple Crown trail but this would top it off!
Old 06-10-2023, 01:51 AM   #28
Spalding No!

Might be wrong about Tapit Trice being an underlay. Current odds has him at 6-1, twice his ML with $600k bet so far on the race. Other principals in the race are more or less their respective MLs.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2023, 02:16 AM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Arcangelo. Improves at all and he should be coming like a freight train…..if he runs back to his last he will still be there I think.

He had a tough drive last out which I normally hate to bet back, but he showed some real heart coming back to win.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #30
CheckMark

Here are my Belmont Stakes selections

Best of luck to all!

Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 8.37.33 AM.png