Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-10-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
soflant

Trip Handicapping (changing leads)

Recently, I have encountered a theory stating that when starting a race, horses are "on the left lead" and when hitting the top of the stretch, they need to switch to the "right lead". Is this a function of the anatomy of a horse or a training/performance issue? If the theory "holds water" is there a significant performance/result that comes from it? To be clearer, do horses that change to the "right lead" win more races than horses that stay on the "left lead"?
soflant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2023, 08:17 PM   #2
MJC922

The horse propels itself forward with one hind leg more than the other. When taking the turn one leg takes on more of the load and gets more of the fatigue. When coming off the turn and straightening into the stretch a horse will get a somewhat less fatigued leg to 'work' with if it can learn to switch. There's a little bit of a trade off in that it's kind of a stutter step to make the switch over, i.e. the horse can lose maybe half step in the process but it's ultimately usually much better to do it than to not do it.

How important is it? It depends, I like to see it obviously but it means a good bit less to me with sprinters, the shorter the race gets the less it means to me, like at six furlongs or less there are horses that can still be effective without switching so I don't hold it against everyone equally. Big early speed horses that usually carry into deep stretch anyway, for them it's not a deal breaker to me. Some horses get short so late in the race that it would almost get them beat to do it. In routes though I strongly prefer to see lead switches.

The rider can assist the horse in making the switch, you'll often see them pull the left rein slightly and shift their weight at the top of the stretch. However I'm of the belief that if it's really forced in a ham-handed way by the rider with a hard yank on the rein and a lot of weight thrown off balance besides it's a really good way to get a horse sore in a hurry. Just my opinion. If it ain't happening in a subtle way then nevermind IMO is the better option and sometimes it may not be happening for a really good reason. If a horse usually does it or doesn't do it, then one race it does the opposite I'm not sure I'd see that as a good thing tbh.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:31 PM   #3
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflant View Post
Recently, I have encountered a theory stating that when starting a race, horses are "on the left lead" and when hitting the top of the stretch, they need to switch to the "right lead". Is this a function of the anatomy of a horse or a training/performance issue? If the theory "holds water" is there a significant performance/result that comes from it? To be clearer, do horses that change to the "right lead" win more races than horses that stay on the "left lead"?
Wouldn't a horse need to be on the right lead through turns? And if switching, be on the left lead at the top of the stretch?
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2023, 10:57 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
The rider can assist the horse in making the switch, you'll often see them pull the left rein slightly and shift their weight at the top of the stretch. However I'm of the belief that if it's really forced in a ham-handed way by the rider with a hard yank on the rein and a lot of weight thrown off balance besides it's a really good way to get a horse sore in a hurry. Just my opinion. If it ain't happening in a subtle way then nevermind IMO is the better option and sometimes it may not be happening for a really good reason. If a horse usually does it or doesn't do it, then one race it does the opposite I'm not sure I'd see that as a good thing tbh.
Great explanation.
Thank you.

I've never understood how the rider does it.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2023, 11:08 PM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Wouldn't a horse need to be on the right lead through turns? And if switching, be on the left lead at the top of the stretch?
No, the opposite. Try running around a clockwise turn (or driving around one) and it becomes immediately apparent.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2023, 11:42 PM   #6
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
No, the opposite. Try running around a clockwise turn (or driving around one) and it becomes immediately apparent.
Yep, I had it backwards. I found a good slo mo.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 12:27 PM   #7
SBD400

Its definitely something to take note of. In general, horses who don't switch leads tire and slow down which impacts their finish and how their race looks on paper for next time out. If they can improve off of that next out, they should run faster and better and you can get good value.

Its also an indication of professionalism which is something I use to evaluate a horse.

For some horses it doesn't matter, but not switching leads can be the difference between winning and losing. Many times I have been yelling at the TV for a horse I have bet on who is not switching and praying they do as the extra surge they get from it can win the race.

Last edited by SBD400; 04-11-2023 at 12:31 PM.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
https://vimeo.com/466644958
That was awesome!
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #9
CheckMark

This probably has no adding benefit to what the OP is asking about but there is a game that I will use on my Wii (yes I still have one) for mostly entertainment and sometimes to workout for my arms called Champion Jockey and it's a very enjoyable game IMO

The point is that after the race if you end up losing the trainer you rode for will come up on the screen (even if you won too) with comments on what he/she saw; The most part and this is the point I am stating is they say "You forgot to change your lead turning for home" or something on that line

When you are entering each turn in that race there are 2 hoofprints that are constantly going thump and they flash red when you haven't switched your lead yet making you lose slower until you change it; So enter left and exit right on one occasion and enter right and exit left on the other if that makes sense (according to the manual)

Just had that thought when reading this posting I just thought I would share it even though it probably won't help at all
Old 04-15-2023, 11:13 AM   #10
green80

if a horse doesn't change leads it may be an indicator that he is sore somewhere and it hurts him to run on that lead. Not always the case but a common issue.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2023, 12:01 AM   #11
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
https://vimeo.com/466644958
great vido
correct me if I'm wrong. in the film the horse starts off on the right lead(right hind leg hits the ground first), then the horse switches to the left lead (left hind hits the ground first).

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #12
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
if a horse doesn't change leads it may be an indicator that he is sore somewhere and it hurts him to run on that lead. Not always the case but a common issue.
Also you will see some horses switch leads when the jockey urges, but then switch back on their own.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2023, 06:15 PM   #13
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002 View Post
great vido
correct me if I'm wrong. in the film the horse starts off on the right lead(right hind leg hits the ground first), then the horse switches to the left lead (left hind hits the ground first).
Respectfully, when the right hind strikes first, the horse is on its left lead. And visa...
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2023, 06:18 PM   #14
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
Often a symptom of infirmity. Switching back and forth thru the stretch is usually worse.

Bobbles likewise signal issues, and repeated bobbling, however slight or subtle, is a red flag for me
I've seen good horses win big but make just one bobble that wound up foretelling an impending reversal of form. Or worse. I'm often hesitant to go there on the show because sounding an alarm based on one stride (or two) from a runner that otherwise travelled smoothly comes across as a non sequitur at best.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-17-2023 at 06:32 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2023, 07:50 PM   #15
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Respectfully, when the right hind strikes first, the horse is on its left lead. And visa...
Thank you.

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: