Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #31
Fager Fan
Veteran

I read the headline for an article about what the EU gave them and should be thankful for. Number 1 was 28 days of paid leave/vacation. They compared it to the US who - shock - don't have a minimum paid vacation and many give just 2 weeks! Amusing.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #32
classhandicapper

FREEDOM!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
unreal, Lindsay Lohan tweeting up a storm for the remain side.
She's probably a one percenter who has plenty of her wealth tied up in the markets. With the S&P and NASDAQ futures locked limit down, there's no way to hedge until after the open in 20 mins. We'll see the Plunge Protection Team hard at work this morning....

I wonder what the real aftermath of BREXIT will entail. Just the paperwork and determining which falls inside/outside the agreements ought to be a challenge....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #34
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
FREEDOM!!!!!!!
I believe with pansy David Cameron now resigning this opens the way for the great former London mayor Boris Johnson to become head of the Conservative Party and UK Prime Minister.

Good news for every Brit and freedom loving citizen throughout the world.

A side note: Boris Johnson was born in Queens, NY!

Did you know him, class? I know he loves horse racing. Imagine this scene: Boris, you, me, and all the usual rasters on the top floor at the Big A? What would be thicker? Our accents, our opinions or those heavy ganja smells?

(Johnson and the family went back to Britain when he was quite young for all those on here that lack any historical bent or a sense of humor.)
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #35
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate
...With the S&P and NASDAQ futures locked limit down, there's no way to hedge until after the open in 20 mins. We'll see the Plunge Protection Team hard at work this morning....
Check that. Was reading another forum about the futes being LLD, but they've reopened and are off the bottom. Should still be pretty wild here in a minute when the markets open.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #36
tucker6

Dow started the day down 494 points from yesterday's close. Will be surprised if it is down 200 by end of day.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #37
Clocker

More to come?

Quote:
Voters in France, Italy and the Netherlands are demanding their own votes on European Union membership and the euro, as the continent faces a “contagion” of referendums. EU leaders fear a string of copycat polls could tear the organisation apart, as leaders come under pressure to emulate David Cameron and hold votes.

It came as German business leaders handed a considerable boost to the Leave campaign by saying it would be “very, very foolish” to deny the UK a free trade deal after Brexit.

Markus Kerber, the head of the BDI, which represents German industry, said that 1970s-style trade barriers would result in job losses in Germany.

“Imposing trade barriers, imposing protectionist measures between our two countries – or between the two political centres, the European Union on the one hand and the UK on the other – would be a very, very foolish thing in the 21st century.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...rlands-now-wa/
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #38
Greyfox

Does any one see the mass migration of Muslims as perhaps the major reason these countries are becoming more nationalistic?
I do.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #39
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Does any one see the mass migration of Muslims as perhaps the major reason these countries are becoming more nationalistic?
I do.
The Guardian says that fear of growing immigration was a big factor in the vote. There has been growing unrest in other EU countries about the refugees, and that is certainly a factor in citizens of France, Italy, and others calling for a vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/voting-details-show-immigration-fears-were-paradoxical-but-decisive
Old 06-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #40
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Imagine this scene: Boris, you, me, and all the usual rasters on the top floor at the Big A? What would be thicker? Our accents, our opinions or those heavy ganja smells?
I think the ganja.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #41
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
I believe with pansy David Cameron now resigning this opens the way for the great former London mayor Boris Johnson to become head of the Conservative Party and UK Prime Minister.

Good news for every Brit and freedom loving citizen throughout the world.

A side note: Boris Johnson was born in Queens, NY!

Did you know him, class? I know he loves horse racing. Imagine this scene: Boris, you, me, and all the usual rasters on the top floor at the Big A? What would be thicker? Our accents, our opinions or those heavy ganja smells?

(Johnson and the family went back to Britain when he was quite young for all those on here that lack any historical bent or a sense of humor.)
Don't knock the Jamaicans.They're the only under 40's I ever see at the OTB.

Last edited by barahona44; 06-24-2016 at 10:51 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #42
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
This is just the first domino. There will be more.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #43
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Dow started the day down 494 points from yesterday's close. Will be surprised if it is down 200 by end of day.
I think the market's been looking for an excuse to take a good hit.This is as good a reason as any.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #44
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
Don't knock the Jamaicans.They're the only under 40's I ever see at the OTB.
Don't knock the Jamaicans? I love them barahona!

I used to hang on the 3rd floor at Big A whenever possible when I worked for the house in the 80s. I'd lay horses on them all the time and there was nothing they wouldn't do for me. I didn't smoke any rope of course (in case anyone was wonderin').
Old 06-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #45
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
This is just the first domino. There will be more.
The UK vote yesterday was a sterling referendum by the English for common sense, sovereignty and patriotism. Also, the overwhelming LEAVE vote was a loud and clear clarion call for the complete dissolution of the European Union.

The Spanish, Italians, French and others want their country back and do not want to be beholden to those unelected creepy, far left haters in Belguim and Germany, not to mention the corrupt and immoral mercantile bankers and financiers.