Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #751
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
... I am not sure as to why they are restricted to Aqueduct, and not allowed at Belmont, though I believe Long Island, or Elmont, opposed them. Why, or if I'm even completely correct, I don't know.
Thanks, tlg.

Here's another reaction to Hammond's drivel:

http://leftatthegate.blogspot.com/2007/12/no-news-is-no-news.html
Quote:

… And the NY Daily News included an opinion column by one Bill Hammond, ... Entitled Hold your horses, governor, it's the latest anti-NYRA editorial by a clueless writer who simply rehashes those familiar themes - scandal, bankruptcy, decreasing attendance, etc., - in simplistic fashion, without any acknowledgment of NYRA's reform efforts and clean bill of ethical health, nor making the slightest attempt to explore the complex reasons behind NYRA's financial situation and its declining live crowds.

As is often the case in these editorials, the writer quickly flaunts his ignorance of the subject.

… That money is of course earmarked for whoever is operating the tracks, NYRA or not, and it's laughable if the writer really believes that either of the for-profits he fancies, Capital Play or Empire, wouldn't receive at least the same share.

The bit about money "earmarked for schools" makes one think that Hammond was reading from a Capital Play bullet points memo. That consortium's relentless attacks, which started up as if on cue as Empire faded away, is clearly having an effect. The audience that their negative TV ad is targeted to - which includes columnists like Bill Hammond - knows little about the subject, and as they read and hear the same points hammered away, with little to no rebuttal from the other side, they accept it as the whole truth.

… I don't expect to read a columnist in one of the top circulated papers in the country merely echo their PR without making any effort whatsoever to explore the details - and questions – behind them.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #752
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
...without any acknowledgment of NYRA's reform efforts and clean bill of ethical health, nor making the slightest attempt to explore the complex reasons behind NYRA's financial situation and its declining live crowds.
And it's odd when you think about it, because newspaper editorials these days are usually filled with folks attempting to explore complex reasons behind situations, looking for justifications or rationals or plain excuses....except when it comes to this....this is cut and dried NYRA=EVIL.....

Nah....no underlying bias or motive here....nah.....
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #753
Indulto
Veteran

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2007/December/19/No-plan-in-place-for-New-York-racing-if-NYRA-declines-extension.aspx
Quote:
No plan in place for New York racing if NYRA declines extension
Quote:
by Paul Post

there is no one ready to step in if NYRA does not accept a temporary extension, board chair Carole Stone said on Tuesday.

On Monday, the panel offered NYRA an extension while state leaders work out details to a final racing agreement. NYRA says its attorneys are reviewing the proposal.

“We do not have an alternate operator selected or in mind,“ Stone said. “I don’t know why they [NYRA] would decline. We want to get something in place this week if possible.

… The deadline is only 12 days from now and Stone said the board has not even figured out the legal steps needed to select an alternate track operator.

“We‘re sorting through the process,” she said.

… Current oversight board members are highly respected in their primary fields of law, finance, and accounting, but none have extensive personal experience in racing. Most observers believed the board was putting skilled racing leaders in place to take over if NYRA did not get a franchise renewal or could not agree to an extension for legal reasons.

It is clear from Stone’s revelation on Tuesday, however, that the oversight board itself is not ready to conduct racing and may have fallen short in its responsibility by failing to have an alternate track operator ready to step in and take over.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071219/NEWS01/712190359/1002/NEWS
N.Y. racetracks seek bigger share of gambling profits
By Joseph Spector
Quote:
… Track officials attributed the growth to the low amount of competition in their area, as Batavia Downs is able to draw patrons from eastern Buffalo to western Rochester.
Quote:

"In this business of local 'racinos,' convenience and close proximity is the number one factor," said Martin Biniasz, director of marketing at Batavia Downs.

… Even Yonkers Raceway, the state's largest video-lottery-terminal parlor, has failed to meet expectations, despite its proximity to New York City, analysts said.

… Assemblyman Gary Pretlow, D-Mount Vernon, Westchester County, who heads the racing committee, said he favors the new formula. A boost to the tracks would mean more amenities there and thus more players, which would result in bigger profits for the state, he said.
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8711985&postID=520643102791611997 2
Quote:
… Glimmerglass said...
Quote:

… GE Capital was fully prepared to loan NYRA a huge amount of money in Chapter 11 [until the State coughed up the dough] using the track land as collateral. If their legal department didn't think strong merit was there for them to assert possession no way GE would've touched it. As we know NYRA as part of the renewal deal was going to drop its right of claim to the land. If NYRA was awarded just say a 5-year management of the tracks I would advise them to not give up that mega bargaining chip for that paltry duration. …

... Anonymous said...

… GE Capital had no risk. For the debtor-in-possession financing to be effective, the bankruptcy court would have to approve it and GE Capital would have received a priority interest. Enter land claim again. By the way, NYRA trustee Dennis Dammerman headed GE Capital, didn’t he? …
Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #754
Spendabuck85

Local news station WNYT is reporting that Carole Stone has resigned as Chairperson of the Oversight Board but will remain as a member, and that Madeline Wills has resigned from the board. Both were Pataki appointees.

I did not catch the name of the new Chairperson.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #755
weegee

The Times Union blog at http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/ is reporting that she was replaced by "Silver nominee Steven Newman, a former top aide to Alan Hevesi as first deputy New York City comptroller". Stone said she did not know this was coming.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #756
the little guy

The battle is over.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #757
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
The battle is over.
I don't know if Ms. Stone is fat, but she sure wasn't singing.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/91095.html
Quote:
Spitzer gets his man
Quote:
By MATT HEGARTY

Carole Stone, the chairwoman of the New York Non-Profit Racing Association Oversight Board, resigned Wednesday at the request of Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who cited the board's potential role in negotiating a temporary extension of the franchise held by the New York Racing Association.

In her place, Spitzer appointed Steven Newman, the former first deputy comptroller of the city of New York. Stone, an appointee of former Gov. George Pataki, will remain on the five-member board, and Madelyn Wils will step down.

The move by Spitzer came two days after the oversight board passed a resolution authorizing the chairwoman to negotiate with NYRA on a temporary extension to its franchise, which expires at the end of this year. In a statement, Spitzer's office said the governor "believed it would be best for his appointee to have that responsibility, so he would be accountable for any determination that is made in this regard." …
Still 3 Reps to 2 Dems. It ain't over 'til it's over.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #758
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
I don't know if Ms. Stone is fat, but she sure wasn't singing.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/91095.html
[color=windowtext]Still 3 Reps to 2 Dems. It ain't over 'til it's over.

It's over. Focus on the right given to the chairman to negotiate with NYRA for the extension. If the Fat Lady is still singing it's an encore.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #759
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
It's over. Focus on the right given to the chairman to negotiate with NYRA for the extension. If the Fat Lady is still singing it's an encore.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--racingfranchise1219dec19,0,4962511.story
Spitzer appoints new head of racing franchise board
By RICHARD RICHTMYER
Quote:
… John McArdle, a Bruno spokesman, said Spitzer's appointment isn't a great concern.

"Our concern is not with the oversight board but with an ultimate agreement that can be reached," McArdle said. "We still believe that is going to happen."

… Newman, currently vice president for finance and chief operating officer of Medical Health Research Association, a non-profit public health service in New York City, was New York City's deputy comptroller from 1994 through 2000.
Does this mean that NYRA will be able to sign contracts with ADWs?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #760
the little guy

They always were going to be able to sing up with whomever.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #761
freddymo

Quote:
I was referring to slot players.

I could probably argue all sides in the slot debate. Unfortunately, it has become imperative, especially on the East Coast, and Northeast, to have slots to remain reasonably competitive. And, for all the Harness Tracks in NY State to have had slots for years now, and NYRA prevented by a vindictive Pataki, seems borderline criminal. Obviously Pataki, and his constituents, didn't want NYRA to have the strength slots would have given them, but in the meantime they have cost the horsemen and owners a lot of money, as well as the taxpayers. There is no moral stance for them as the other tracks were given the go-ahead.

Are they viable as a long-term solution to racing? That's hard to answer. If they provide the short-term revenue to upgrade your product and hopefully allow NYRA ( or any racing organization ) to move in the proverbial right direction, whatever that nebulous concept may be, then their long term merits become less relevant. If racetracks rely on them as a crutch they will continue to make the same mistakes of the past.....and then their long-term merits become important. So, to me, it is imperative to have a concrete plan as to how you are going to best put those dollars to use in the immediate future. What exactly this is I do not specifically know. However, nobody is paying me the big bucks, or even the small bucks, to come up with those answers.

I am not sure as to why they are restricted to Aqueduct, and not allowed at Belmont, though I believe Long Island, or Elmont, opposed them. Why, or if I'm even completely correct, I don't know.
Not sure how keeping people (New Yorkers) from destroying there lives and losing their money is a bad thing for the state to restrict or delay(not that the state delayed the slots for these reasons). Slots are crimnal and do way more harm then helping. I can't imagine that helping a few thousand horseman make a better living is worth slealing millions of dollars from the people.The whole lottery system save the huge jackpots are basic violations on what government is suppose to do. Government was created to protect not to disable people..

As much as I love racing I still think slots are a horrible way to defer it's continued demise.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #762
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Not sure how keeping people (New Yorkers) from destroying there lives and losing their money is a bad thing for the state to restrict or delay(not that the state delayed the slots for these reasons). Slots are crimnal and do way more harm then helping. I can't imagine that helping a few thousand horseman make a better living is worth slealing millions of dollars from the people.The whole lottery system save the huge jackpots are basic violations on what government is suppose to do. Government was created to protect not to disable people..

As much as I love racing I still think slots are a horrible way to defer it's continued demise.
You know I agree with a lot of this. I think the Lottery, and the way they are promoted by States, is borderline criminal and certainly hypocritical. As far as I'm concerned, if they can legalize the lottery there is no reason prostitution and drugs aren't legal as well. However, in this particular situation, the problem is that the Slots were legalized for all racetracks, and whether or not you morally agree with that, for Pataki to have prevented NYRA from having slots, while allowing every other racetrack to have them is criminal. It is a completely different debate.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #763
freddymo

VLT's/Slots are marketed to and abused by people who simply can not afford to lose money without having major damage done to their lives.You don't see too many high net worth people rushing with 200 bucks to kill an hour. instead you see honest hard working and overextented people chasing a RIGGED game. Whatever the just or unjust reasons Aqueduct has not gotten slot/VLT's I am happy for the people that they didn't get ripped off.Sorry for the horseman and the cronies at NYRA but thousand of people are better off without those cheating machines fn up their lives.

Cut the stakes money as much as possible and perhaps have the breeders and owners fund their own party with more aggressive fees. You want to race at the G1/G2 level let it be on the owners and breeders nickel. Figure out how to survive on your own product and stop leaching off the raping off people. The fact of the matter is nobody at NYRA or any other potential suitor gives two shits about the lives slots are going to ruin. All they care about is either the bottom line (not a bad thing for a real business) or Keeping their jobs and feeding the old boy network. The concept of ruining thousands of peoples lives so Gary Contessa can earn 35% more money is ridiculous. Is the little trainer or small owner going to truly be so positively impacted by a race with slot assisted purse of 47k vs. the 35k they are running for? Poor people dont buy horses poor people play that idiot rigged game and lose and lose and lose. it makes a lot more sense to me to purge the business get rid of the weak hands and just consolidate and reinvent your sport.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #764
Indulto
Veteran

FM.
I thought I remembered you from the "Smear" thread:
Quote:
NYRA may have good people involved now and we all know Crist is calling all the shots. Instead of doing it from the sidelines Crist should just announce that he has a new group with money behind him and just make a bid. BTW if he had the right financing he most likely could really help NY racing and turn it around. This back door mgt. is suspect IMO.
Quote:

NYRA has been horrible apparently the current supporters want everyone to believe the past will not be part of the future? Non profit organizations arent necessary for good business to develop
You have some very interesting ideas.
Quote:
VLT's/Slots are marketed to and abused by people who simply can not afford to lose money without having major damage done to their lives.You don't see too many high net worth people rushing with 200 bucks to kill an hour. instead you see honest hard working and overextented people chasing a RIGGED game. Whatever the just or unjust reasons Aqueduct has not gotten slot/VLT's I am happy for the people that they didn't get ripped off.Sorry for the horseman and the cronies at NYRA but thousand of people are better off without those cheating machines fn up their lives.
I wouldn't be above using your argument to keep slots out of BEL and eventually conduct all downstate racing there, but what evidence do you have that VLTs and lotteries are any more deleterious to society than alcohol, for example? Any form of gambling is subject to abuse, and most gambling addicts find some form of it to do so. You could add dime supers to your list and the new "Super High Five" as well. What are the chances an AQU slotsplayer will have never before engaged in some form of gambling?
Quote:
Cut the stakes money as much as possible and perhaps have the breeders and owners fund their own party with more aggressive fees. You want to race at the G1/G2 level let it be on the owners and breeders nickel. Figure out how to survive on your own product and stop leaching off the raping off people. The fact of the matter is nobody at NYRA or any other potential suitor gives two shits about the lives slots are going to ruin. All they care about is either the bottom line (not a bad thing for a real business) or Keeping their jobs and feeding the old boy network. The concept of ruining thousands of peoples lives so Gary Contessa can earn 35% more money is ridiculous. Is the little trainer or small owner going to truly be so positively impacted by a race with slot assisted purse of 47k vs. the 35k they are running for? Poor people dont buy horses poor people play that idiot rigged game and lose and lose and lose. it makes a lot more sense to me to purge the business get rid of the weak hands and just consolidate and reinvent your sport.
Maybe you're on to something here.

NYP, you've suggested that high-end slotsplayers are sufficiently prevalent to warrant "destination" development. Any comment?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #765
Indulto
Veteran

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42830
Quote:
NYRA Oversight Panel Has New Chair
Quote:
by Tom Precious

… Republicans had believed Stone might be more sympathetic to their position. Newman, who is tight with Silver, a usual ally of the governor, seems to change that dynamic, though not the overall partisan split on the board.

However, the board chairman was given unusually strong powers the week of Dec. 16. The oversight panel approved a resolution to permit NYRA to continue operating racing Jan. 1 on a temporary basis until the franchise issue is resolved.

“Given the importance of that decision, the governor believed it would be best that his appointee have that responsibility, so he would be accountable for any determination that is made in this regard,’’ said Paul Francis, the governor’s budget director who has been involved in the franchise negotiations.

… “It’s going to be a real compromise–not ours, not theirs,’’ Bruno said Dec. 19 of the talks. He would only say the final deal, if it comes together will involve NYRA and other outside companies being involved in the deal.

… Francis is optimistic. “Many differences have already been resolved, and the governor is hopeful that any remaining issues can be resolved by the end of the year so that a deal can be presented to the legislature in early January that will ensure the continuity of racing in New York,’’ he said.
http://www.timesledger.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19133202&BRD=2676&PAG=461&dept_id= 542415&rfi=6
Oversight board may take reins at Aqueduct
By Howard Koplowitz
Quote:
… State Assemblywoman Audrey Pheffer (D-Rockaway Beach) said the Assembly was "in heavy negotiations" with Spitzer and the Senate on a resolution to the franchise issue.

"I think if all goes well, there could be a handshake deal by the end of the year," Pheffer said, noting that she was "not going to get too excited" about the oversight board's resolution because it may be a moot point.

Bruno spokesman Scott Reif said the senator has been calling on Spitzer to hold meetings with state leaders to come up with a franchise agreement, but the governor has not responded.

… He said that senior-level staffers with the governor and senate majority have been discussing horse racing behind closed doors.

"We're hopeful that we will get a framework done by the end of the year," he said.
Spitzer is probably wise to avoid giving Bruno another public name-calling opportunity.
Quote:
They always were going to be able to sing up with whomever.
It had been reported that NYRA could not go forward with any ADW contracts until they were either awarded the franchise or received an extension. I thought the question was reasonable since while NYRA's status remained in limbo, they were still apparently engaged in negotiations with ADWs.
Closed Thread