Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-24-2022, 12:14 AM   #1
BIG RED
Son O'War

Josh Donaldson’s ‘Jackie’ comment

I definitely get the point this writer is questioning.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/23/only-j...jackie-remark/

Quote:
So, question 2: If La Russa had simply used the terms everyone else in his clubhouse used to describe what Donaldson said — besides “disrespectful,” there was “delusional,” and there was “uncalled for” and there was “unacceptable” — would Donaldson have gotten suspended on Monday?
(don't know if this belongs here or in off topic, move if needed)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:16 AM   #2
Bustin Stones

I cannot believe that in 2022 we're still having this debate. That you can ride or pester someone on their behavior, but you should not pester or ride them based on how they were born. People cannot control the color of their skin or the family that raised them. If you choose to shy from contact, as in a hard grounder or inside pitch or are have openly gay tendencies, that's behavior based. If you simply appear to have dark skin, how do answer that? If you have Asian features how do you answer that?
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 07:26 AM   #3
geroge.burns99
Veteran

If people would read what we say about our president ,Joe Biden....

The National Debt would be cleaned up

geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

I thought the guy he called Jackie tried to virtue signal in a an interview of some sort where he said something like "I'm today's Jackie Robinson"...

Now that is extremely disrespectful to the race issues that Robinson dealt with, as well as black ballplayers before during and after the color-barrier was broken...

take this info with a grain of salt. I'm going by memory what I read on Twitter or something. Do your own research.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:14 AM   #5
Bustin Stones

Sorry, that's also a failed argument. If a black person refers to themself with a pejorative term, it does not give a white person reason to also use that term. You don't gain license based on a minority's misbehavior unless it's a non racial misbehavior.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Sorry, that's also a failed argument. If a black person refers to themself with a pejorative term, it does not give a white person reason to also use that term. You don't gain license based on a minority's misbehavior unless it's a non racial misbehavior.
If a black player hits a pop-up on an 3 and 0 count swing and says "I'm a dumbass!!" and a white first baseman tries to ride him and says "Dumbassss!!!", it's too far to say that is racism.

Not all pejoritives are racial slurs. Just saying something disrespectful is a pejoritive. Trash talking relies on pejoratives.
"Jackie" isn't a racial slur it's a ridiculous egotistic virtue signal by the player to have claimed in an interview. Just because it is race-related in a distant way doesn't make it a racist slur.

I could be wrong. Maybe my opinion is wrong, or maybe the info I think I remember reading in a tweet was wrong. If he's targeting players of other races and using slurs, to be clear; I am against that.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
If a black player hits a pop-up on an 3 and 0 count swing and says "I'm a dumbass!!" and a white first baseman tries to ride him and says "Dumbassss!!!", it's too far to say that is racism.

Not all pejoritives are racial slurs. Just saying something disrespectful is a pejoritive. Trash talking relies on pejoratives.
"Jackie" isn't a racial slur it's a ridiculous egotistic virtue signal by the player to have claimed in an interview. Just because it is race-related in a distant way doesn't make it a racist slur.

I could be wrong. Maybe my opinion is wrong, or maybe the info I think I remember reading in a tweet was wrong. If he's targeting players of other races and using slurs, to be clear; I am against that.
Base Ball is so F-up its a joke....

They can't even get the ball straight

This tops it !!!!

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 05-24-2022 at 08:47 AM.
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 08:02 PM   #8
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I cannot believe that in 2022 we're still having this debate. That you can ride or pester someone on their behavior, but you should not pester or ride them based on how they were born. People cannot control the color of their skin or the family that raised them. If you choose to shy from contact, as in a hard grounder or inside pitch or are have openly gay tendencies, that's behavior based. If you simply appear to have dark skin, how do answer that? If you have Asian features how do you answer that?
J J Reddick and Kevin Love both said they’ve received insults because they’re white and it was fine and not serious to them.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
Bustin Stones

When blacks look down their noses at whites or Jews look down their noses at gentiles, that's every bit as racist as the other way around. The ability to somehow exclude a majority doesn't carry the same weight. Blacks really don't have the leverage to deny white people opportunities and Jews really don't have the leverage to keep white people down.
But, from the perspective of what is a racist, that's exactly right. Plenty of black people are extremely racist.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #10
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Jackie Robinson was totally a class act. He didn't call attention to himself, he just did his job despite provocation by opponents. Mr. Anderson's style of play is just the opposite. So, he is basically the Anti-Jackie.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:11 PM   #11
TJDave

So what was the comment?

I read through the article and missed it. WTF?
Old 05-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #12
Gamblin4ever

I don't know what was actually said, but if I'm Anderson, I would have just smiled and said so you think I'm one of the greatest ballplayers of all time? Thank you Josh.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 11:22 PM   #13
jimmyb

My understanding is this was a running joke between Donaldson and Anderson for years without any incidents. If Anderson now has a problem with the joke, it was his obligation as a courtesy to pull Donaldson aside and let him know.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: