Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Should we abolish the Breeders' Cup.
Poll Options
Should we abolish the Breeders' Cup.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
RacingFan1992

The Breeders' Cup. Yay or Nay?

I have reviewed some of the comments regarding this years Breeders Cup and I noticed mixed reviews. Some people were complaining saying that the BC is a joke with others saying Santa Anita is a joke. I want to see how many people would rather go back to how things were before the BC.

Last edited by RacingFan1992; 11-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan1992
I have reviewed some of the comments regarding this years Breeders Cup and I noticed mixed reviews. Some people were complaining saying that the BC is a joke with others saying Santa Anita is a joke. I want to see how many people would rather go back to how things were before the BC.
What made it ok for me was the ability to chat through posts back and forth while the event was going on.
Just sitting here betting the races isn't enough.
Some of us were trading ideas, giving picks, etc. That's what made it fun for me.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Valuist

I can't think of one horseplayer that wants the Breeders Cup eliminated. You can question a few of the recent race additions, but to many players, its their favorite race day of the year. Would anyone honestly rather bet a field of $5000 claimers than a full field of stakes horses? Not me.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The BC is a great day for bettors, as good as it gets. If you are right once or twice, you can make a killing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
FlyinLate

No chance do I want to see the BC eliminated. Santa Anita, however, failed pretty miserably in my opinion. The racetrack was basically a merry-go-round all weekend which is as frustrating as it gets. Short of the massive collapse in pace of the Juvenile and Judy the Beauty getting up, everything else was won on the front. Additionally, the stewards failed to make the right call and drop Bayern. That wasn't tactical riding, that was brutal...and I'm saying this having bet Bayern.

I sure hope Keeneland does a better job at maintaining a fair track. Santa Anita looked like Gulfstream on Florida Derby Day.
FlyinLate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
castaway01

It's the best day to make money all year. The races are almost always very challenging. Despite any changes to the format over the years, that part of it has never changed.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I would give a day of good betting in favor of having back a better season.
The BC has been bad for racing, imho. Kill it.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
clocker7
Veteran

LOL

It's not perfect. But kill the Breeders' Cup and what are you left with? Some lesser races in NY in October and one or two at CD in November?

OK ....
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
wa_kiwi

I was just reflecting on all the drama in 3 of the top races this year. Questionable tactics leading to an inquiry in the Classic, the Distaff won by a trainer who several months ago was on the national news concerning medication, green card, etc. issues and the Dirt Mile won by a trainer who is suspended for drug violations. My god, Jerry Springer couldn't improve on this.
wa_kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_kiwi
I was just reflecting on all the drama in 3 of the top races this year. Questionable tactics leading to an inquiry in the Classic, the Distaff won by a trainer who several months ago was on the national news concerning medication, green card, etc. issues and the Dirt Mile won by a trainer who is suspended for drug violations. My god, Jerry Springer couldn't improve on this.
Then watch pro baseball, the NBA, or college football, where all parties possess a purity that you are dying for.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha This is America 2014, for godds sake.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker7
LOL

It's not perfect. But kill the Breeders' Cup and what are you left with? Some lesser races in NY in October and one or two at CD in November?

OK ....
Was good enough for years...back when race horses were race horses.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
foregoforever

I'd like to see something more like the Aussie Spring Carnival ... top races spread out over several weeks.

How about 3 championship days on successive Saturdays? One in California, one in Kentucky and one in New York. Spread the current races across the three, and add some more ... the Marathon, a 9f dirt race, and a 10f turf race for starters.

Run the 9f dirt and 10f turf on the first Saturday, and the 10f dirt and 12f turf on the last. In other words, arrange the races so that a horse can try for a double. If we ever get horses off Lasix, then running back this quickly shouldn't be a big deal.

Besides spreading out the interest over several weeks and the entire country, it also results in the prep races for the divisions being spread out, so you don't have the 3-week dead zone before the big day.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Was good enough for years...back when race horses were race horses.
Welcome belatedly to the 21st Century. NY is no longer the center of anything, let alone the sporting universe.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
clocker7
Veteran

I apologize to Tom for that last post. Snark to a good guy is not appropriate.

I am actually in league with those who pine for horses with better distance running qualities, and what has happened to the breed over time. But the reality is that 9f horses are what we are saddled with.

Thus, I am relatively at peace with the Breeders' Cup, and the fact that they still host races over 9f. And that this year's crop was fairly durable and could handle 10f and even 12f competently. Maybe not like the past. But better than the recent years, or what is about to come ... sadly.

Cherish the 2011 guys. It's gonna get worse.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No problem, clocker. We all have opinions.
There is much more to life that horse racing.
Much more.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: