Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Tara73
Veteran

NYRA Video Streaming With Roku

Anyone have connection issues on Saturday? The streaming was okay all week but went out Saturday and didn't connect until the 8th race.
Tara73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
SansuiSC

BETA

Don't rely on it 100%. It's still in beta and is buggy. I noticed more dropouts Saturday than during the week. Nice HD picture, but you have to have something ready be it the NYRA cable tv or online. The worst is a drop during a race.

Make sure your unit is hard wired when watching NYRA. Video takes up a lot of bandwidth on home networks. It's one thing to have a Netflix movie drop & buffer while watching but a live race

Why they chose the Roku platform is very puzzling. WDTV Live is much better product.

Saturday was especially brutal as far as drops. I was never "out" though. The card sucked too lol.

Call NYRA support and ask for Carmine, (if he's in) he's well versed since day 1. A friend of mine worked with him over an hour on the phone one day about 6 weeks ago only to find his Roku is too old. He has multiple ways to watch races so he wont buy a new one for one channel.

I just hope the developer of the app didn't give up on the product and makes it so it is more stable.

Growing with technology sux sometimes.

GL
SansuiSC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
JimG

I think overall it is an excellent app for the Roku. There are occasional issues but pretty rare. As far as why they also support Roku? There are many more Roku customers than WD Live. It is nice not to have to sit in front of the computer all the time and I would like to see other tracks create streaming feeds for the Roku and other devices. However, horse racing is always the last to jump into technology. Kudos to NYRA for leading the way on this.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
titans1127
Harness racing Fan

While I do not have a Roku, I do like to stream the HD feed from the NYRA Rewards site on my laptop. Since the Belmont, the feed has been doing nothing but stuttering and locking up. The SD feed does not have an issue. I could understand for Belmont day it being buggy due to the amount of users, but I would think it would be fixed already.
titans1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Tara73
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. Yes very frustrating when the stream goes out during the race. Just seems strange how it can work perfectly one day only to be useless other times. Just wish I knew the technical reasons for all this happening. To much usage?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
garyoz

I had problems all day Saturday with the ROKU Stream--but worked ok for the part of the races that I was able to watch on Sunday. It is beta and it is free.

I think it is a great move and I hope that other tracks will consider doing it. I'd pay a modest monthly fee for a Keeneland or GP HD feed on Roku that is reliable. Although the Internet streaming alternatives have gotten consistently better with a good Internet connection (IMHO). You need more outs than one provider for video, just like when you are betting.

Last edited by garyoz; 06-15-2014 at 09:07 PM.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
the little guy

Just to let you know, we are aware of the problems, and obviously apologize, but are working on them and hope ( and expect ) to have them resolved very soon.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
BIG49010

I'm not a geek, but have a Ruku that I use for movies, and I thought I read somewhere you can set up a private channel and steam video from your computer to the Ruku.

Anybody doing this with the races or other stuff?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
I'm not a geek, but have a Ruku that I use for movies, and I thought I read somewhere you can set up a private channel and steam video from your computer to the Ruku.

Anybody doing this with the races or other stuff?
You can also stream the video through the Chromecast device from your PC.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Storm Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
You can also stream the video through the Chromecast device from your PC.
I just bought the chrome cast but it does not work because the NYRA feed opens up in a separate window that does not have the chrome logo in the top right
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet
I just bought the chrome cast but it does not work because the NYRA feed opens up in a separate window that does not have the chrome logo in the top right
I tried Chromecast but preferred my roku setup. I sent it back and was refunded. Anyhow, as I recall, you need to chromecast the desktop, not just what is in the tab. Here is an article that explains how.

http://allaboutchromecast.com/chrome...d-audio-to-tv/

After doing this you will just need to maximize the video window and you should be good to go. Hope that helps.

Jim
Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Storm Cadet

Tried that

I got it to go full screen but the picture is not smooth. Sound is ok. But video either freezes or is to jumpy to watch. Might be better to go back to video input cable to tv for NYRA video
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Tara73
Veteran

The past few days it's been better but not perfect. I had to reconnect a few times to eliminate buffering. Appreciate the comments from TLG acknowledging the situation. Andy mentioned they are working to improve things. From a technical aspect, I'm just curious how improvements can be employed. More broadband?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
levinmpa

How do you stream NYRA on Roku? Do you have to be a NYRA account holder?
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinmpa
How do you stream NYRA on Roku? Do you have to be a NYRA account holder?
Yes.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: