Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Flysofree
Veteran

All In One ( Wireless Mouse)?

Just looking and not buying yet. But I think that I will replace my current desktop computer with an All In One type with Windows 10 already installed. Currently I have a wireless mouse and have never used a touch screen computer even on my laptop, I have a wireless mouse. I know, I know I'm old fashioned...But my question is how do you get an All in One computer to recognize your wireless mouse? I don't see any place to put in a CD...Does it just do it automatically?
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
how do you get an All in One computer to recognize your wireless mouse? ...Does it just do it automatically?
It should. Your wireless mouse probably has a 'dongle' inserted into a USB port that communicates with it. Just plug that into your new computer and it should discover your mouse. If not, Windows will probably suggest searching for the driver and will likely download one from it's online database.
If it's an older model where the dongle plugs into a mouse/keyboard port, you may have to break down and get a new mouse.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Flysofree
Veteran

Thanks Red... Those machine sure do look nice and sleek. I know they haven't been available for too very long. Are they considered to be as long lasting as a desktop with the tower?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Red Knave
dGnr8

My youngest brother has one and a golf friend has one too. Neither one has had any issues although the units may only be a couple of years old.

Good luck.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Flysofree
Veteran

Becoming a little worried about the All In Ones from reading a couple articles. Something to do with motherboards and updating... But after a couple trips to Best Buy, I am of the opinion that regular desk tops with a tower may be being phased out. You don't see very many.
One article I read on line, the tech said he'd prefer a laptop over an All In One.
Opinions about electronic products (except for Apple stuff) seem to be mixed.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

Before you go with a touch screen, try to borrow one for a bit and play with it. I tried one and hated it. For some programs it is fine, but you lose a lot of precission over a mouse or trackball. I tried running my trading software and it was difficult to position things where I wanted them. Sometimes a eithth of an inch on the screen can make a $100 swing in profits.

I just bought a new desktop from HP and love it. Solid State drives are the bomb! Boots in about 5 seconds. I don't think that desktops are going anywhere, even if Best Buys doesn't like them. Go to a real computer store and check out what you can get.

Dick

It's always darkest before dawn, so if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Flysofree
Veteran

You are 100% right, I do NOT want touch screen. The All In Ones, I've seen each had a mouse .

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "solid state "drives? Do All In Ones not have that?
Old 11-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
punteray

All-In-One

I have a Lenovo 23" screen all-in-one without the touch screen and love it. My wife has a Lenovo 21.5 with the touch screen. WE BOTH USE A WIRELESS
MOUSE!!!
punteray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

Quote:
You are 100% right, I do NOT want touch screen. The All In Ones, I've seen each had a mouse .

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "solid state "drives? Do All In Ones not have that?
Solid state drives are like a big clump of memory that stores data and programs for almost instant retrieval. Regular hard disks are mechanical and much slower. SSDs were quite expensive, but have really come down in price in the last couple of years. Using one makes the computer so much more responsive that a normal drive (which I have on my laptop) seems to just crawl. This is the way phones and tablets store data.

Dick
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Do All In Ones not have that?
Many do not...especially the less expensive ones...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Many do not...especially the less expensive ones...
Good to know. About what price range do the solid states begin, ballpark figure.

The people at Best Buy hate to answer any questions... Are we talking about $1000 minimum?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

When I was looking at them for a friend 10 months ago, there was an ASUS for about $800 that didn't have a SSD...don't know how much prices have come down since and where SSDs fit into that mix.

I wouldn't touch anything WITHOUT a SSD nowadays...they are just too damn fast and the difference is very noticeable, especially on laptops/AIOs that are generally less powerful than full-blown desktops to begin with...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #13
MJC922

If I see any deals I'll post. Nothing looks good at the moment. They're still way overcharging for any PC shipping with an SSD installed. The OEMs are milking the SSD demand for a long time now.

The prices on the SSDs (just the bare drives) are extremely affordable now though on newegg. For people who are comfortable with the upgrade process it's a non-issue... for everyone else you'll pay dearly. I guess you could look into buying the SSD separately and see if geek squad will do the upgrade. You're probably adding $350 to the price of anything you look at though if you go that route. Check the price on having them install the SSD as an OS drive and put the original spinner back in as a secondary drive for storage.

Last edited by MJC922; 11-09-2015 at 05:52 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922
If I see any deals I'll post. Nothing looks good at the moment. They're still way overcharging for any PC shipping with an SSD installed. The OEMs are milking the SSD demand for a long time now.

The prices on the SSDs (just the bare drives) are extremely affordable now though on newegg. For people who are comfortable with the upgrade process it's a non-issue... for everyone else you'll pay dearly. I guess you could look into buying the SSD separately and see if geek squad will do the upgrade. You're probably adding $350 to the price of anything you look at though if you go that route. Check the price on having them install the SSD as an OS drive and put the original spinner back in as a secondary drive for storage.
Thanks, I tried to do a chat with HP. They require you to ask the question first. They said no-one was available when they saw my question about buying an AllInOne with Solid State drive.
I don't have to have an HP model, but I thought they might point me to a model with a price..
I don't think they wanted to address my question.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I have a Lenovo all-in-one, too, with touch screen. But I still use the wireless mouse. Touching things, or swiping from the sides, some of that stuff is all right for simple functions, but pointing and clicking is usually much more comfortable.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply