Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
Diamond K

Multiple Software Programs but One Data File possible?

If I have three different handicap programs (in future) and each individual program uses TSN ProCaps and Exotic Results can I have one file folder (and track folders therein) to download all the ProCaps/Results data into and then merely create a path from each program to that one data folder? I guess only 1 upzip would be necessary then?

Simply, can I just do one download for all the tracks or must each individual program have it's own data folder (necessity to copy and paste)?

Diamond K
Old 06-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
Handle

It all depends on how the software works - so I think the short answer is no unless the various programs all expect to find the data files using the same folder structure.

For example, EquiSim likes to have the data files stored in a specific folder layout: BaseFolder\TrackFolder\YearFolder

EquiSim _will_ let you keep your data files anywhere you want, but in doing so you will lose the ability to have the program load the results files automatically, use the "Open By Date" command, build databases auto-magically by specifying tracks and date ranges, etc..

Note that there's a problem with the BRIS/TSN data files in that the file names do NOT include the year from which the data file came. This means that you'll have problems storing data cards from multiple years in the same folder -- name collisions will occur.
Handle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Diamond K

Ironically I own EquiSim and intend to use this for one or two specific tracks as I just can't seem to handicap more than two with any confidence (try to rush). I still have to learn how to use the program and completely understand what settings I should initially set-up.

I am hoping to be able to use File Grabber in EquiSim to bring in the files, using their file convention, and also purchase Power-onLine and hope I can use the EquiSim folders as the default for both programs. I think File Grabber is superb in design.

This is what this specific inquiry of mine comes concerning. I didn't realize the complexity. Maybe I could just change the path of the Poweronline at the beginning of each year. I don't have the program so I don't know if it will accept the data structure of EquiSim.

Also, I thought this a good general question to know the answer to.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Bob Allen
Rattlesnake Rancher

DiamondK,

The short answer to your question is YES.

The long answer, as Nathan has pointed out, is you will have to construct paths to the data according to what the software wants. In Power-Online Steve suggests a folder naming convention like the following:

APX03
APX04
APX05

Where the last two digits represent the year.

Because I also use EquiSim I have set it up to make the second download, I do two by unchecking the top box on the form (Use EquiSim Data Card Root Folder) of FileGrabber. Then all the files go to a central folder in the POL path I've entered in the blank section below that. From that folder I then drag and drop files to the proper folder. Simple, works and only takes a minute.

You are correct in that Nathan's design of FileGrabber is nothing short of brilliant. It is THE BEST utility I have ever found for any purpose on the net. It saves so much time I don't know if I could ever go back to that right clicking, save stuff. Four clicks and I'm done. The only way to go.

Bob
Bob Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
Crosley

Are there other programs that use Procaps data files, besides:

PowerLine, Quickhorse and the Bris free Procaps S/W?

Thanks
Bill
Crosley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
Zaf
Pace Cappa

I have to agree File Grabber is great !!!

ZAFONIC
Old 06-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
Bob Allen
Rattlesnake Rancher

Quote:
Originally posted by Crosley
Are there other programs that use Procaps data files, besides:

PowerLine, Quickhorse and the Bris free Procaps S/W?

Thanks
Bill
Bill,

Power-Online V5, EquiSim and ProCaps are the only legitimate handicapping programs I know of that use the Procaps files. I know other developers are talking about making their software Procaps compatible because I've asked them, but at this time I don't know of any others, although there must be.

Bob
Bob Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #8
Crosley

Thanks Bob... You left out Quickhorse, :-) I know how you feel about it but I'm still working with it and finding it helpful.

Bill
Crosley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
levinmpa

FYI. I'm sure this has been mentioned previously, but the Procaps files can be renamed and used in other programs. For example. If you use a program that uses the BRIS .drf files or the TSN .eg files, you can simply rename the Procaps file. Just unzip it and change the extension to either .eg or .drf as needed. Granted, this is an extra step you'll have to go through, but it gives you the ability to use the files with other programs the aren't yet able to accept them with their original extension. I have been doing this for a long time with no problems.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 AM   #10
Larry Hamilton

you could, of course, write a macro that changes the extensions for you, like:

FileCopy HorseDir & TrackFile & ".xrd", HorseDir & TrackFile & ".txt"

where HorseDir is the path to the files and trackfile is the name of the file
For instance, c:\MyHorseFile\CRC0505

then you could put that line in a loop so that all the files in the directory are changed to text files.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
Handle

I added a feature to the File Grabber so that, post download, it can unzip and change the file extension of the unzipped file to whatever you wish (so you could download procaps files and have it then unzip the file and replace the extension with "drf", for example). Its in the 'Controls Menu->Special Preferences'.

I think this feature is in the currently available free version of File Grabber. If not, I need to update the download site....
http://www.thorotech.com/freestuff/index.html
Handle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #12
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Allen
Bill,

Power-Online V5, EquiSim and ProCaps are the only legitimate handicapping programs I know of that use the Procaps files. I know other developers are talking about making their software Procaps compatible because I've asked them, but at this time I don't know of any others, although there must be.

Bob
The program Lightning Profits uses Procaps files in V3 as well. I'm sure others do as well.

Their site is www.sedonaconcern.com

I am curious on other programs which support Procaps as well so if any other users know any links please advise.

Last edited by Secretariat; 06-30-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
Kappa

Focus 2000 can use the Procaps daatafiles.
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Lefty

Crosley, here's three more: A+, Contenders10, and American Thourougbred Handicapping. I think thee's more but these off the top of my head.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #15
Lefty

I forgot Equisim, it will use procaps files and hor$ense will also use them but you have to rename the file. Zambuto will too but don't recommend the Zambuto prgm. Too many probs with security code and no refund or cure from Zambuto.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply