Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Poll: How do you feel about the NFL?
Poll Options
How do you feel about the NFL?

Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Dave Schwartz

Are you boycotting the NFL? (Again?)

Are you boycotting the NFL? (Again?)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
sonnyp

actually, the only sports I can stomach either because of a lack of interest in the sport or the behavior of the participants is the Friday night high school football game of the week on spectrum news channel. you can have the rest of the bloated self absorbed idiots in the other arenas.

honestly, can you really imagine the money they make for putting a ball through a hoop? laBron looks like a muslim terrorist. let them fid a cure for cancer. I might watch again.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I will watch very few games. Probably not one single game kick off to finish.
Maybe a quarter here and there.

Game is just not very interesting 90% of the time.
And game are FAAAAAR too long.

But I have an idea for how the girly-man players acan protest and really make a difference.

The players should refuse to wear any uniform that demeans Indians.
Redskins, Chiefs, those uniforms are racist and insulting. By wearing them, the players are agreeing with the insults. Show up in another uniform. DAREA the NFL to stop you. Show what REAL men you boys are. DO SOMETHING that actually takes balls and actually has consequences for YOU. Any idiot can take a knee. No way the fan in the seats can have that impact on the NFL YOU boys can have.

When they play that Tomahawk chalk music and the crown sings along - show you are men - WALK OFF the field. Show YOUR fans that YOU do not approve of their racism. Do on a national game - show the nation you are doing something of SUBSTANCE. Any idiot can take a knee. BE A MAN, boy.

Think any of them have the guts?
I don't.
An idiot can take a knee.
And that is about all any idiot can do.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

15+ years ago I would watch the beloved Bear, the afternoon game, and Sunday night football. I wouldn't miss a second of the Bears even if they were getting blown out. As the NFL has changed for the worse -- can't hit anyone, can't touch the QB except by his shoelaces, can't figure what a catch is, etc. -- I watch much less football. Other sports don't get any love from me either. (Frankly, the NBA is unwatchable.) When the Blackhawks had their near-dynasty I watched them a lot (hockey is a pretty good sport), but there are better things for me to do for three hours than watch overpaid entertainers, especially now with sports having political overtones. (Undertones?)

So I will watch the Bears games until they are 1-8 and maybe the primetime games if there's a good matchup. Otherwise, I will do something constructive.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
HalvOnHorseracing

I almost never watch regular season college or NBA basketball. Interestingly enough, I referee a lot of basketball games and enjoy doing it. But watching it bores me.

I think football is like Jeopardy. I timed one of the Jeopardy programs and in 30 minutes you get about 13 minutes of actual questions and answers. In football it takes three hours to play a 60 minute game.

One other thing. LeBron James is not only a great NBA player, he gives a lot of himself to the community. Certainly that should clear up any confusion about whether he is a Muslim terrorist.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I might watch a Cowboys game or two.

But otherwise the biggest loss for me is not watching Al Michaels. I think he’s about done, and a little more loose lipped than usual
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
NJ Stinks

I watch during the season between horse races. In fact, because I play in a weekly pro pool where you pick every game against the spread, I have to force myself to check in on televised games if only to help me handicap teams/games. Half the time they are in commercial breaks anyway....

Players going down on a knee or not has no bearing on whether I tune in. I can understand why they do and I can understand why owners don't like to upset some of their customers.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
thaskalos

I watch only the fourth quarter. Does that count as a "mini-boycott"?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
Fred Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
In football it takes three hours to play a 60 minute game.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the three-hour game consists of 11 minutes of live action - ball in play to whistle ending play. I read about this not too long ago.

I'm going to a football game at the end of this month, so I realize what I'm going to - to see friends.

If that's way it is now, time-wise, it has been that way for years. I was surprised until I thought about it.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

It will take over 5hrs to run the Weds card at Saratoga with about the same amount of "action time" as an NFL game...what's the problem?
Lol...horse players love to complain.

A few years ago I started a thread about "doing the right thing" and not watching the NFL.
I got hammered.
Look where we are today
Old 08-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
proximity

am i boycotting again?

hopefully not.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #12
Inner Dirt

I don't boycott the NFL, but try to avoid patronizing advertisers on the stations that allow announcers to spew liberal nonsense. Examples Bob Costas and his gun control rant. If NBC runs Pepsi ads during the game I buy Coke next time I shop.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #13
MutuelClerk

Not boycotting. Only reason I watch though is fantasy football. And when i watch I watch Redzone. If i'm stuck watching just one game I'll pass. It's too sloooow. I believe the players have a right to protest. I would agree the protest isn't well organized but I believe the issue is a good one.

As far as protesting Chiefs and Redskins those are team names these players had nothing to do with. While the issue may be just, it's not your place to tell a person in their 20's what they should be protesting. They don't see the world the same way as you. The issue they are protesting I'm guessing most of them witnessed in their younger days.

Protest isn't supposed to make you comfortable. Frankly i'm glad it makes a lot of you uncomfortable. If our President was a Democrat and a draft dodger most of you would be against the President. But see as how DDD Draft Dodging Donny is leading this charge and his party you follow like the sheep behind the Pied Piper.

Most here blast TV news CNN, MSNBC, and FOX as being partial and geared towards ratings. I completely agree with the sentiment and how TV news sucks. Can't the same be said about TV sports? Why show these players on sidelines? Why are they even out there for the National Anthem that's often just a recording? Keep them in the locker room let them run out on the field after the stirring rendition of another recorded National Anthem.......
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Screw the NFL....I much prefer college football, where the players are paid less money (usually) and leave the politics at home. My Trojans (class of '65) have a hot new QB, JT Daniels, who graduated HS in 3 years. Looks very polished, especially since he is 18 years old.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
Secondbest

Like last year I'll only watch the Giants and some jets. No Monday night or Thursday and only Sunday if it's a good matchup like Pat's vs steelers or something like that.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: