Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
OverlayHunter

Cable Internet Problem

I've had internet problems for months. While I've forgotten when the problem started, I'm pretty sure its at least 6 or 8 months.

I may have no problems for hours and then I'll lose service for minutes, multiple times within an hour or it could be problematic multiple times an hour more or less throughout the day.

It started with Time Warner and has continued since they were taken over by Spectrum.

I've had conversations with their tech support numerous times over the months.

It's not my computer: 1) it's new and the problem preceded its purchase 2) I've had 2 computers on at the same time and they both lose internet at the same times

It's unlikely to be Spectrum's modem because I exchanged for a new modem a few weeks ago and the problem persisted. I suppose their modems could have a bug but it seems as if so many people would be affected by that and cause Spectrum to have figured that out.

It's not my router: I thought it might be the source of the problem so I bought a new one (and when Spectrum concluded 2 or 3 weeks ago after I installed their new modem that it must be the router, I bought yet another of a different brand with the same bad result)

It's not the network cable that runs from the modem to the router, I bought a new one and, no surprise, the problem persisted.

I have VPN and it sometimes loses connection BUT I've run extensive amounts of time with the VPN purposely turned off so I could eliminate that as the problem and the Spectrum problem persists.

To Spectrum's credit, they sent out a technician last week and, to his credit, I thought he was very thorough. He found some loose connections in the basement and found where squirrels had chewed some wiring outside. He changed the wires and tightened the connections. Right before he came, I found that I had a cable extension behind my desk and it had loosened some (it was at least 20 years since I had even seen that connection and forgotten it was there) so, presumably, all connections were tight.

He left early afternoon and I had only one brief problem the rest of the day.

The next day it was business as usual, the same problems on and off all day. I began keeping a log of the various lights on the modem that go out when the problem arises, the times they go out, duration of loss of service, etc.

I had problems for 7 straight days (with VPN off) and was going to call them again when I knew what my schedule was going to be and then - for no reason I was aware of - for the past 2 days, zero problems - not so much as a hiccup. I'm all but certain Spectrum did not come out here without me having complained but I guess they could have found something internal that was more or less universal and that fixed the problem but I'm left to wonder.

I can say the problem stopping corresponds exactly with a 20 +/- degree drop in outside temperature. Could that affect anything or is that just a coincidence?

Does anyone have any ideas about this? If the problem returns, I'd like some other avenues to pursue.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
FantasticDan
gelding

You've posted this to the Spectrum Connectivity help forum, right?

Have you inquired to any (Spectrum) neighbors if they've had issues?

Sounds like you've done just about everything..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
OverlayHunter

FD, I didn't know about Spectrum Connectivity and never thought to ask neighbors. Both are good ideas. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Stevecsd2

I had a similar problem when I bought a new HP laptop. Only the laptop would drop connections. It would drop my internet connection every few minutes.

Somebody recommend changing the ethernet setting for that laptop to 100MB HALF DUPLEX. That fixed it.

This may or may not help you.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

OH,

Based upon my past experience with AT&T I will give you some ideas. (BTW, AT&T has the most amazing people despite having the most screwed up infrastructure imaginable).

I am assuming that you are well-acquainted with Tier 2 support. If you aren't you should be.

If the problem comes up again, what you want is a problem ticket that goes to tier 2 and a particular tech agent. With all the problems you've had, they should be willing to give you a direct call number with a special pin number to log you through the system without going through a tier-0 agent. (The one that comes before a real tech agent, and 2 steps between you and tier 2.)

Another thing you can do... if you get an agent that is a dud, just hang up and call back. Keep doing this until you get a person with a can-do attitude that is willing to take some kind of personal interest on your case.

Specifically about Spectrum... Although I've had Spectrum for about 3 years, we've never had an internet problem.

Now for the bad news. If their TV agents are any indication, Spectrum will do anything to make you just go away. The quality of agent - even at tier 1 - is woefully poor. They will say anything to get you off the phone.

But as I mentioned above, there are some good ones. You just have to keep calling until you find one.

Good luck.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
...I can say the problem stopping corresponds exactly with a 20 +/- degree drop in outside temperature. Could that affect anything or is that just a coincidence?

Does anyone have any ideas about this? If the problem returns, I'd like some other avenues to pursue.
Quite a saga.

The temperature change could absolutely have an effect on your connectivity, especially if the change in weather included some heavy rain, or the wire travels above ground at any portion of the route.

I would suggest having the tech provide details on the entire route of the connection. Cable providers have "nodes" installed at various locations away from the main pipes (i.e., fiber optic backbones), and are able to calculate the amount of capacity that goes through each one. Your call may have motivated them to upgrade/or at least check the connections on one of these nodes, or junction boxes, or whatever they want to call them. That MAY explain why the connection has suddenly been solid for a couple of days. You could also request guidance on how to measure the strength of the signal, and determine if that varies at all, or if it's an "on or off" scenario.

Most often the the problems with connectivity are at the end of the pipe, (within your house), because if they are further upstream, then multiple customers begin to complain. But we don't know how many, if any, of your neighbors are on the same line from the nearest node. We don't know how long the cable wire extends from the main route (near the street or in-between backyards) to your house. We don't know how old the cable wire is (many are still the ones laid down in the mid 1970s when cable started to expand dramatically).

I had cable about 10 years ago that was fine, and then my VPN for work would drop off. Turned out someone up the street was a heavy user and took all the pipe. I switched to DSL for a couple of years, but went back to cable when they assured me they had upgraded their system. And they had. It worked fine. Then I moved just as a fiber optic service came into the neighborhood (sigh...).

Unfortunately, if your problems do persist, the point of diminishing returns has already been reached by the cable company if you're the only customer having problems. It's cheaper for them to lose you to DSL or some other service, then identify and replace sections of their lines that may no longer work....

Good luck.

Last edited by Parkview_Pirate; 10-13-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
FD, I didn't know about Spectrum Connectivity and never thought to ask neighbors. Both are good ideas. Thank you.
Here's the help forum if you haven't already found it:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...p/connectivity
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
OverlayHunter

Steve, Dave, PP, and FD - thank you all. Lots of "meat" to chew on, all very helpful. If (actually, it's more like to be "When") the problem starts again, I feel like I finally have some good direction. In the meantime, I'll go to the link FD supplied and see what I can learn there.

Again, I greatly appreciate all of the assistance provided.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Stevecsd2

RE: Spectrum I've used them for 8 years and they been pretty good overall. Yes, sometimes I've had to ask / demand they send me to Tier 2 support, which they have done.

They do have a real problem with the TV / DVR / Remote. If you are watching a program on the DVR & you get to the end of it & delete it, if you hit the EXIT button on the remote too quickly it will totally reboot your cable box. Which is a big pain in the butt. When I first called they said they had never heard of it. However, I was talking to customer service rep & she admitted they've had several calls about it. But this has been happening for about 3 years and it's still not fixed. I try to wait a couple of seconds before hitting the EXIT button, but every once in a while I forget.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
MikeH

I've had Spectrum for 2 years, and they've been great. The fact that I'm in a 55+ 1,300 unit community that has a contract with Spectrum with some amazing prices could help... they clearly want our business.

That being said, I had something similar to the OPs when I moved in. 1st tech that came out was good, the problem was reduced, but not cleared.

2nd tech comes out ... I re-iterate about the temperature .. he goes outside, changes one of the connections ... it's worked great ever since.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I switched to Rectum this spring and they suck!
Constantly getting vocal drop outs in the audio, getting scrambled
visuals, and an annoying BZZZZZZ sound mixe din the audio.

A bunch of channels keep going "unavailable - try later" and then can never get them. Once is while, I can get one to come in, but never all. TVG is on of them!

Calling them for help is like talking to a wall.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I switched to Rectum this spring and they suck!
Constantly getting vocal drop outs in the audio, getting scrambled
visuals, and an annoying BZZZZZZ sound mixe din the audio.

A bunch of channels keep going "unavailable - try later" and then can never get them. Once is while, I can get one to come in, but never all. TVG is on of them!

Calling them for help is like talking to a wall.
Sound drops and video tiling began this morning. Have a tech here right now testing everything for the last 2 hrs despite the fact that it is a system-wide issue in this part of town.

Here in Reno, the outside techs are just fantastic, whether it is Spectrum or AT&T. But the phone support is just horrible.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: